It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ASMR (Autonomous sensory meridian response)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
ASMR

Autonomous sensory meridian response (ASMR) is a neologism for a perceptual phenomenon characterized as a distinct, pleasurable tingling sensation in the head, scalp, back, or peripheral regions of the body in response to visual, auditory, tactile, olfactory, or cognitive stimuli. The nature and classification of the ASMR phenomenon is controversial,[1] with strong anecdotal evidence to support the phenomenon but little or no scientific explanation or verified data.[2]

Over the years, certain sounds made me feel really strange. It would almost put me into a meditation/trance like state. For example, someone eating crunching foods would give me goosebumps all over my body and make my spine and all up and down my back tingle. I got this same feeling when someone was opening up a plastic bag of some type....or even a bag of chips as well. People messing with or opening up something plastic gives me these feelings. All of this time I figured that the feeling I was getting is what others say when something gets on their nerves. Well, I ran across a video on youtube awhile back of someone eating a bag of chips and whispering. The video was made to "relax" people. I was like huh? So I scrolled down the comments and saw how many folks enjoyed the sounds of the video and how it relaxed them. There are LOTS and LOTS of these types of videos on youtube. So I further researched this and sure enough, there are tons of people out there who enjoy listening to someone eating crunchy foods like chips or nuts etc. I read where this wife made her husband or son lay next to her while she naps while they eat chips or nuts for example. So all of this time, it wasn't "getting on my nerves", it was actually relaxing me and I didn't know or understand how to take it until now.

Anyway, I figured I'd share this. I'm sure I am far being alone here on ATS on this strange subject. Other sounds will trigger the same affect for certain people. Raining does it for some. Waterfalls...birds chirping.....bubbling brooks....all sorts of stuff.

Yeah, a lot out there find this stuff repulsing, especially the eating sounds, but its so strange how our sensory's act differently from person to person. Its like we are programmed differently.
edit on 13-8-2015 by Bloodydagger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Anyone else here share these same feelings when someone eats something crunchy?

Or perhaps experiences something similar?

edit on 13-8-2015 by Bloodydagger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Bloodydagger

Yes, I have used these vids to help with falling asleep. Gentlewhispering is my favorite of those ASMR vids for helping with sleep.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

Same here! I completely zone out when watching them. I don't notice or hear anything around me. As I said in my first post, it almost puts me into a meditation/trance state of relaxation.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I get the whole tingly hair stand up feeling that feels good every time I hear a certain song. Of course I can't remember the artist or the title, dang it! It's that one that goes "I'll give you jeweled I'll give you pills I'll give you anything you want I'll give you $100 bills, just Marry me Marry me Marry me..." Or something like that... The Replacements? Anyway, I don't know if its the key they recorded it in or what but every time I push play on that song I get the same feeling....

I get that fingernails on a chalkboard cringe feeling down my spine that does not feel good from even thinking about a single thread sliding between my fingers, even typing that was uncomfortable. That is more texture related I think, fishing line or small wired do not have the same effect. The Human Mind is a strange thing.

Like, after a bad break up your heart actually hurts. I know they found neurons in heart tissue, maybe they could explain why we guy those "gut feelings"or sometimes "just go with our hearts". Our 6th sense if you will. Since they are not connected to direct sensors like eyes or ears, they have to go off vibration, magnetic, or maybe electric, or aura related.
edit on 13-8-2015 by wastedown because: grammar nazi evasion

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: wastedown

Yeah, the fingernails down a chalk board is a negative reaction to me too. It actually makes my TEETH hurt when someone does that. So strange.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

Love her "haircuttery" video. She seems to be doing well with her channel.

As for ASMR in general, I've found that I can actually overdo it and I've actually lost those effects before from listening to my preferred sounds too frequently.

Pages turning, typing on a cheap old school kb, plastic do the trick for me personally.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: wastedown

It's Dramarama. The song is called Anything. One of my favorites.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I get that feeling when I hear patriotic messages such as Toby Keith's songs, like Angry American.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Ashirah

My favorite is that SassEsnacks channel. That lady is relaxing to me.

Anyone else share these feelings or similar?

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Ashirah

My favorite is that SassEsnacks channel. That lady is relaxing to me.

Anyone else share these feelings or similar?

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I don't get the tingles, but I do love the role play videos, especially Heather Feather.
I enjoy being the subject, we all need pampering, don't we.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Bloodydagger

My teeth hurt when someone scrapes certain metals together. Like sharpening a knife with that metal cylinder thing. Or silverware in a stainless steel sink.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Greetings

I've only recently stumbled across this website forum, its nice to know others can do this.

I am 53yo male born under the sign of Ophiuchus (the serpent bearer, go figure...), and I have been enjoying that tingley thrill that runs up the spine while standing/urinating for most of my life. Sitting just doesn't quite seem to do it though not impossible. Alcohol inebriation acts as a dampening barrier.

I am of the opinion that those who know what this thing is, are able to, with practice, trigger it at almost any time. Its not coincidence that the icon for this thread title is the caduceus, quite literally a visual depiction of Kundalini Rising. I determined this tingling energy burst I am able to summon up is, in fact, Chi.

I've been developing this as a conscious action, no longer a slave to the autonomic nervous system. I am able to "sparkle" at will as David Bowie might say. Have you seen the movie "The Men Who Stare At Goats"? In the rather star-studded movie, the notion of using a song as spirit trigger is explored. Kevin Spacey, George Clooney, Ewan McGreggor in a movie about CIA remote viewers. I actually lived with one of those Vietnam-era remote viewers.

As someone keen on things magickal I am relieved to live in a time when we have String Theory, M Theory, and Multi-verses filling The Bulk to map out the last of the Great Unknowns. Hell: "Spooky Action at a distance" (Einstein's goblin) has lately been demonstrated in a controlled setting, something about pairs of spinning electrons sharing direction of rotation, nothing so grand as summoning up a full-blown Petronus. Yet evidence that THIS # IS REAL FOLKS!

Question is: what good does it do? Periodically I do some run-of-the-mill cash-flow generating spells, sometimes it works! Can I tickle the Universe in just the right way to attract the objects/experiences I desire? Can I use it in imprecatory prayer? Because I really hate my last boss. ill I come back as a dung beetle for this????

Alternatively if I continue to practice & refine this energy-raising, will this help the energy patterns my consciousness not decay after this mortal shell fades away with increasingly frequent gas & bloating? I do very much enjoy the idea of being a free-form mental-energy projection, at once intimately in control of my world while retaining the detachment of The Buddha.

Time for another beer & a bong!

new topics

top topics

join