It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Ghost plane’ spotted over Derbyshire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Interesting case here. It discusses a SILENT camouflage plane that was flying so low that you could almost reach up and touch it. The plane was wobbling as it flew which made it a lot stranger. Multiple people saw it. I love stories of ghostly aerial phenomena and figured I'd share this.

A couple was left speechless after seeing a “ghost plane” fly over their car.

Richard Jephson and his wife were travelling through Rowsley at about 2.30pm last Monday when they saw the aircraft.

He said: “It was incredibly low – it appeared to be at the same height as the roofs and trees nearby – and it was almost wobbling from side to side.

“It was completely silent.

“As it moved out of sight it banked to the left and dropped.

“We both waited for the sound of the plane crashing but this didn’t happen.”

When they got home, the couple looked online to see if anybody else had seen it.

Richard said: “When we got in and turned on the television, the news was on and they were saying that the last surviving Dambuster pilot had died.

“I said to Helen, ‘perhaps it was an enthusiast paying their respects’, and Helen said, ‘perhaps it was him’.

“It’s a complete mystery and it’s left me speechless.”

SOURCE

More witnesses to mystery 'ghost plane' over Derbyshire come forward:

MORE people have come forward saying they too witnessed the flight of a mysterious plane travelling over Derbyshire.

The first reported sighting of the large prop-driven aeroplane was from Richard and Helen Jephson.

Richard, 52, and his wife, Helen, were out in their car in Rowsley at around 2.30pm on Monday, August 3 when they saw it.

Business advisor Richard said the plane, which he said looked like a Lancaster bomber, was so low that it looked like it was going to crash.

He said: "My car window was open and this plane was so low that you could touch it – but it was completely silent.

"We sort of braced ourselves for a crash but nothing happened."

Now other people have come forward to say that they also saw the plane as well – but in a different part of the county.

George Furnace lives at St Mary's Nursing Home, in Ednaston.

He spent three years in an RAF ground crew and said he saw it from his bedroom window.

The 88-year-old said: "I heard it coming before I saw it. It was deafeningly loud but seemingly nobody else saw or heard it. It was flying very low and I went to my window to see if it had crashed.

"I don't think it was a Lancaster, I know what they look like. I think it appeared to be more like a Liberator."

The Liberator was an American-made heavy bomber with four props. It was used in the Second World War by the RAF.

There is a B24 Liberator still in the UK at the museum at RAF Hendon.

George said: "Nobody believed me when I said that I had seen it but, after that couple came forward, my daughter showed me the report and I said to her that she had to believe me now!"

And golfer Richard Burley, 64, from Mickleover, also rang the Derby Telegraph offices to explain how he had seen the plane's low flight across the county.

Richard was travelling along the A52 from Buxton to Derby when he saw the plane travelling south-west across the sky, just before Brailsford, between 3pm and 3.30pm.

He said: "It was flying very, very low but there are quite a lot of trees at the point, so I couldn't get a very good look at it.

"It was definitely not a Lancaster, it was much smaller than that, but I couldn't be sure.

"It had camo (camouflage) colouring and an antenna at the front. I couldn't believe that nobody else had seen it!"

SOURCE

Thoughts? Ideas? I'm sure we have someone here on ATS that lives close to there!
edit on 11-8-2015 by Bloodydagger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
A B25 Mitchell or judging by the antenna description a Heinkel He219.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

The "silent" part is what stumps me.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Bloodydagger
Well 88 year old George Furnace in a nursing home said he heard it before he saw it so it wasn't silent was it.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Perhaps the only people who can see this plane are the only people who can see this thread...

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Cool looking plane regardless

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

It was silent to some witnesses:

Richard Jephson and his wife were travelling through Rowsley at about 2.30pm last Monday when they saw the aircraft.

He said: “It was incredibly low – it appeared to be at the same height as the roofs and trees nearby – and it was almost wobbling from side to side.

There are others who also said it was silent.

So perhaps Mr Furnace seen a different plane? Its entirely possible. Plus hes 88 years old.
edit on 11-8-2015 by Bloodydagger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Perhaps it was a cloaking device... Or ... Its a time traveller from the past...

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Holograph?
Maybe even a test.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

Holograph?
Maybe even a test.

Hologram you mean? Good point. Maybe........

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
It may have been a remote control model.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
drdavidclarke.co.uk...
en.wikipedia.org...
www.milescollins.com...
www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk...

Over many years all types of reports have emanated from the peak district based around war time aircraft and ghosts all of which have interested and intrigued me

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
To the best of my knowledge it's not a Lancaster, it's a Halifax which most people would probably think looked very akin to the more famous Lancaster. I first read about this in one of Bruce Barrymore Halfpenny series of books "Ghost Stations" and that was back in th1980s. It was spotted in Ticknall last year as well. One does wonder whether it's some elaborate long running "joke"by locals in the area however, it is strange that, the same "apparition" does seem to turn up on a regular basis.

Last year's sighting is reported here... www.paranormaldatabase.com...

edit on 13-8-2015 by FireMoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Is that the actual picture of the plane? If it's not.. I wonder why no pictures of this ghost plane. It sounds to me like there were many witnesses. Someone ought to have had a cell phone with them

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Well 88 year old George Furnace in a nursing home said he heard it before he saw it so it wasn't silent was it.

But he was the only person who could hear it. Nobody around him even noticed.

originally posted by: Matrix76
It may have been a remote control model.

... A life size model?

edit on 8/210221/1515 by Rikora because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodydagger

Thoughts? Ideas? I'm sure we have someone here on ATS that lives close to there!

I live near there. We see WW2 planes on a fairly regular basis. Last week I saw a formation of what looked (to my uneducated eye) to be Hurricanes flying directly over the house. I also saw a formation of 3 larger bombers about... well, within the last year, I forget exactly when. Interestingly enough, the smaller planes made a hell of a racket as they went over, but the bombers barely made a whisper. I think atmospheric conditions and height probably play a large part in it.

Nothing ghostly though. There's an aviation museum not that far away and they often do flybys for special occasions, I'm guessing they take the planes up more often than that for practice.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodydagger
a reply to: crayzeed

It was silent to some witnesses:

There are others who also said it was silent.

So perhaps Mr Furnace seen a different plane? Its entirely possible. Plus hes 88 years old.

You might notice that it appeared silent to people who were traveling in a car at the time of the sighting. The guy who heard it was sitting in his room. That might have something to do with it.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

Quite - despite having four engines, it wouldn't take much for ambient noise to drown it out, such as being in a car. I went past Heathrow the other day and I saw an A380, just a few hundred feet high, coming into land. Didn't hear a thing and that's a plane significantly larger than anything from WW2.

I'm putting my money on a historic flight and people being stupid. Given it is the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain this month, when many historic flypasts have been done to commemorate it, that seems the most likely and sensible answer.
edit on 21/8/15 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   
And why no pictures?

originally posted by: FireMoon
To the best of my knowledge it's not a Lancaster, it's a Halifax which most people would probably think looked very akin to the more famous Lancaster.

I am not sure of the relevance of the picture of the Lancaster in the OP either (it's not a Halifax or a Liberator - you can tell because of the shape of the engines, position of gun turrets, shape of the nose and many other things) if that is the aircraft the 88 year old saw, he is going slightly fruity)

In fact, with some further digging, I can confirm that is definitely a Lancaster in the OP - it is actually part of the BoB Memorial Flight: www.globalaviationresource.com...
edit on 21/8/15 by stumason because: (no reason given)

top topics

join