It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyeglasses with Face Un-Recognition Function to Debut in Japan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   
So much for the biometric scans that are mandatory when going through/to many places in in the world. Once out and on the street good luck to those who think they can track someone with facial recognition. Initial sale price about $240 depending on the exchange rate.

The ultimate disguise for the digital era is set to go on sale in Japan.

The National Institute of Informatics said it has developed eyeglasses that help users protect their privacy by disabling facial-recognition systems in cameras.

The Privacy Visor, created by the government-affiliated institute and an eyeglass maker in Japan’s Fukui prefecture, uses unique angles and patterns on its lens that reflect or absorb light. This prevents the recognition systems in digital cameras and smartphones from spotting a human face in a shot and focusing on it.

blogs.wsj.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Thus the pull and push of technology continues, in a cross correlation I work in the IT and security and network and low voltage industry's. I've always suspected that the anti virus company's are infact creating the viruses themselves, as soon as a new virus comes out a fix is established so quickly. It seems contrived. Very cool on the glasses though

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:58 AM
link   

A few mins with some makeup makes you all cyberpunky and undetectable.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 05:09 AM
link   

They don't care for the burka or whatever?

I have mixed feelings about this because my privacy was once treasured, but now any pipsqueak thinks it can ask me personal questions and I am controlling my variety of 'mind your own business' responses gradually.

I do feel though that were some atrocity to happen and people simply walked away - although they seem to evaporate in any case, we should have face recognition.

I suppose you can be told to remove whatever implement you choose to hide your identity as you go through passport control or anywhere else you need to be identified.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Don't these cameras just identify if there's a human face there or not? Like, it's not as if they're scanning your face and recording your name and what you're doing and who you're with and all that, I don't think that technology actually exists, they just identify shapes, not bring up little character profiles like you're a walking pokemon card.

If you wear these glasses you don't become invisible, it just stops cameras automatically focusing on your face. Your face will still appear in the photo, just might be a bit out of focus. These glasses don't automatically blur your face out. And who most often is trying to photograph you with their auto-focusing cameras? Your mates with their bloody iphones. CCTV cameras don't use this technology because they're not trying to take pretty photos, they're just recording everyone who walks by. If a cop or whomever looks at that footage, they don't need technology to tell them if they can see a face or not.

Just smells a bit like some company's trying to flurry up privacy concerns so they call push these wanky glasses onto people.

a reply to: boymonkey74
If I was out and about and saw these birds of bloody paradise I would laugh. If you're trying to protect your anonymity, that's not the way the do it.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   
This video was of the early development stage and as far as I am concerned the glasses sucked.. The new glasses as indicated in the article do not use the light system.

Something else rather interesting are some of the gadgets that supposedly stop cameras from reading your license plates on your vehicles.
youtu.be...

edit on 11-8-2015 by 727Sky because: fixed video

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I accidentally discovered a much cheaper anti-facial recognition method.

I got my drivers license renewed recently and the facial recognition wouldn't recognize me. It worked fine with people before me and after me, but not with me. The lady was so frustrated and embarrassed and sent me to someone who could do an override.

What happened? I realized it at the drivers license place.

I put on full make up.

I am older, duh, and so use a lot of "anti-aging" makeup -
basically makeup with lots of very microscopic reflective dots in it.
The reflective dots "hide" the wrinkles by reflecting the light
out of the wrinkle. Which is sort of like the reflective glasses
in the second video that reflect light and so messes with
facial recognition.

I use that kind of makeup on my eyes, my foundation, my blush.
I "sculpt" my jawline with a highly reflective makeup
and put a dark flat makeup under the jaw
and under the cheekbone,
to hide my double chin and to make it look like I have cheekbones.
This is my full, really want to look good for pictures makeup.

Turns out it messed with facial recognition so badly that after multiple, multiple tries, they gave up and just accepted my picture without the facial recognition working.

I didn't do it on purpose,
but realized quite quickly
while the poor lady snapped away over and over
what was happening, of course I kept it to myself,
not wanting to make another trip without makeup. Just no.

edit on 7Tue, 11 Aug 2015 07:36:08 -0500am81108amk112 by grandmakdw because: format addition

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky I definitely want these!

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

Thus the pull and push of technology continues, in a cross correlation I work in the IT and security and network and low voltage industry's. I've always suspected that the anti virus company's are infact creating the viruses themselves, as soon as a new virus comes out a fix is established so quickly. It seems contrived. Very cool on the glasses though

Very true.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky nice find!

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Meh...it may not pick your face up as a recognized "face" in the recognition program, but it can't hide your face. Eigenface programs would pretty easily counter this tech....it uses shadows and distance from points on your face to discern who you are.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Meh...it may not pick your face up as a recognized "face" in the recognition program, but it can't hide your face. Eigenface programs would pretty easily counter this tech....it uses shadows and distance from points on your face to discern who you are.

I think my makeup accidentally
messed with a very sophisticated
facial recognition.
I was present while the government
facial recognition tried and tried
over and over to "see" my face
and it just could not.

I think the microscopic reflective dots
in my makeup messed with the shadows
and distance measurements.
It was a surprise to me when it happened.
But I very quickly realized what happened,
probably a lot of people would not put
2 and 2 together, but I know for sure
why the facial recognition would work
for those before and after me, but not
me. A very sophisticated government
facial recognition program at that.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

I am glad somebody else shares my theory! I totally believe they are the ones pumping them out, It's a huge industry making tons of money so why wouldn't they.

I haven't used protection for like 10 years and have been fine. I almost think virus protection makes you more vulnerable. The only time I ever got bombed is when I had it, also I made my computer run like crap.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

Yes indeed, I know of revenge viruses.. However I doubt there are brainiacs just writing code In their basement just to get off on the idea of screwing someone over,(someone they don't even know) that is silly and not practical not how reality usually works. Also the fix is almost immediately available which is also silly because that kind of thing takes time. But it's an industry and a self propelling one.

# who ever said a perpetual motion machine wasn't real :p

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Yep, that makes about as much sense as someone well versed in bio engineering making pathogens in their basement just for jollies.

All anything is ever about is the money, just follow the money and you will most likely find your culprit.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Didn't see this thread so apologies for a slight bump.

a reply to: DeepThoughtCriminal

The human face is very proportional and cameras look for objects in a specific proportion in order to determine if it's a face. Measuring in eyes for example, your head is 5 eyes wide and 7 eyes tall, with 2 eyes at 20-40% and 60-80% of the head width. There is a 1 eye gap from your chin to the bottom of your lips, another 1 eye gap to the bottom of your nose, a 1 eye gap to the eye socket, then your eye, then a 2 eye gap to your hairline, and another eye above that. The mouth is in the middle with a 2 eye width, and the edges line up with the middle of the pupils in your eyes.

Using all of this information you can break a face into a 10x7 grid, and determine if a face is there. Using a 100x70 resolution grid instead gets enough biometric detail to uniquely identify most people and a higher resolution provides even more detail (but is slower).

The glasses prevent the detection of eyes and thus throw off the cameras identification so it never tries to register the object.
edit on 20-8-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

top topics

join