It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pecos Watermelon

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

Food is art that your tongue sees.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
You know what else is really good?

Watermelon Jolly Ranchers.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

Try fried watermelon some day!

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
A tasty way to eat watermelon for supper is with Feta and basil, a little black pepper and balsamic, some salt. Mmm.

Here's Nigella's recipe.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

That looks truly awesome.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree

Try fried watermelon some day!

I've never fried it. I imagine it would pop/crackle like the 9 hells.

But if you have a torch (like you'd use to make Creme Brulee) you can use that to carmelize the outside. And that if fantastic.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I was a lazy bum and didn't get any watermelon planted this year so I've been reduced to buying them at the Farmers' Market. Man, oh man, they are the BEST! Just the thing to round off a meal of BBQ pork, fresh sliced tomatoes, cukes and onions and corn on the cob!

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
This was a good year for Fredricksburg Peaches. Actually, it was a good year for just about every Texas Grown produce I have put in my mouth.

Everything seemed sweeter this year. The rain is so much better for everything over irrigation.

I skimmed through the thread, I didn't see any mention of frozen watermelon.. I tried it once, and it turned out great for these 100+ degree days. Throw some toothpicks in the cubes and salt em when you eat em. If ya have the freezer space, it's a good way to make a sweet one last.

Also, if you have a section of yard that you can dig in, my Grandmother used to save watermelons from October through December by digging a deep hole, filling it with straw and stacking two or so in the hole with plenty of straw around them, then backfill with dirt on top of that. She swears up and down they would last months like that. Haven't tried it myself, as West Texas is a bit rocky.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

I've never heard of pickled watermelon rinds. What do they taste like?

heaven...they are a pale green and crisp.

I made a batch many years ago....kind of a lot of work....but worth it.

probably a similar recipe, but without the cherries
allrecipes.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I told a friend of mine that likes to cook and can food about this thread today. She'd never heard of canning watermelon rinds, either. Thanks so much for the recipe. I'll pass it along to her. She'll love it.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

That recipe looks similar to the one I use, but mine turn out more like apple pie color, sort of golden.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Most of the recipes I saw online also were golden, apple-pie colored....which is weird to me....does that color come from the spices, or???

top topics

<< 1   >>

join