It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disabled vet rips cop who told him he couldn’t park in handicap spot because ‘You can walk’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+34 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Posting mainly because this is just too...something. We seriously don't have more important things to worry about?

My favorite line: '...just because I don't look handicapped. You don't look well enough to be a*&^%$ officer with your gut hanging over your stomach."

Seems tensions are high all over. Undertow.

[Raw Story Here]

A Florida police officer received an earful from a disabled veteran after harassing him for parking in a handicap spot in front of a Walgreen’s despite the fact that the vet had a handicap sticker in his window.

edit on 8/10/2015 by ~Lucidity because: fixed link to the source

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

More social injustice.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Wow. I started off laughing, but then when that cop hit the man or knocked his phone out of his hand just because he was running his mouth is uncalled for and unprofessional. Of course, that guy was out of the gate firing off at the mouth, which is actually hilarious. "Just because I don't *look* handicapped to you. You don't look like a cop wit yo belly hanging out over yo belt" LOL

And that this guy apparently had a handicapped sticker and the cop still harassed him?!

More important things indeed. Unfortunately, we have too many cops and they get too bored, so they have to find little things to occupy their time and keep them busy.

+22 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I sooooo hope that the cop has to pay restitution out of his own pocket for that guy's phone.

I like when he said he didn't look well enough to be a cop. Well played sir. I mean since everyone is judging and all. The cop didn't appear to like being treated the same on appearances but as usual... Double standards seem to be the order of the day. The guy had every right to film the officer and the officer walked up to him to smack the phone out of his hand and then tried to say the guy had it in his face...

You just have to wonder if each new incident like this will be the spark that sets off some sort of revolution. People are sick and tired.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Yeah, me too. There was no call for that. For any of it really.

That line about the gut hanging was the main reason I posted this...made me laugh, even though it was very much to the point of the incident (judging by appearances) and this entire thing isn't really all that funny.

+14 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

"If I did that to you, you'd take me to jail, you'd arrest me."

This is 100% correct.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Must have been a serious crime free morning in town. In all fairness though, it's safer to harass a person over handicap parking then chase real criminals.

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
This resonates with me because my wife worries about the very same thing. I'm disabled with a spinal injury but I can walk fine some days (not all) but can't go any distance. Being on pain meds she worries that they won't believe I'm disabled just by looking at me.
My solution is to carry papers with illustrations and pictures of my MRI images that show exactly where my injury is.

That cop was way out of line.. he doesn't know his job very well to be hassling this guy needlessly.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Wth??? "What makes you any better than an old lady in a wheelchair because you can walk?"

Ummm... She can roll up to the door?

The more I watched near the end the more irritated I get. The cop is saying that the guy is not handicapped and is wrong for having the handicapped placard.

He was so worried about the parking space... He sure didn't mind keeping it tied up while he argued whether he thought the guy should be disabled or not.

Ugh.

The veteran is correct. It isnt't he cop's job to decide whether he should qualify as disabled or not even if the guy would have exited his vehicle and did somersaults like he was auditioning for cirque de soleil. That's between him and his doctors. He can report it if he thinks it's wrong, but he certainly doesn't and shouldn't have the rIght to make that call.
edit on 8/10/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Micromanaging at it's finest !!!

Another big government fail.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
unbelievable. i can't believe that even after the other cop shows up and it's obvious the guy is a disabled veteran being harassed the original cop still asks him to get the handicap tag from inside the car so he can check it. he couldn't just drop the issue once he realized he was wrong. he still trying to insist that because he sees the man able to stand on his feet and take steps that he isn't handicapped in any way. so incredibly stubborn and obstinate. sickening.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

The veteran is correct. It isnt't he cop's job to decide whether he should qualify as disabled or not even if the guy would have exited his vehicle and did somersaults like he was auditioning for cirque de soleil.

Haha, so true.

At least the cop was acting as judge that day instead of executioner. Lame cop.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
what a disgrace. what looks like a 'mall cop' harassing a combat vet.

a wheelchair is not what indicate one is disabled, they could be injured; its a valid sticker corresponding to the person claiming it in the vehicle. the person doesn't even need to be the one driving the car.

what another 'bad cop among all the good ones heh'... not

its the uniform that gives all of them a delusion of grandeur. we need to down grade the uniform to cadet uniform and take all that 'heavy gear' (and most of their pistols) away to keep their egos in check. maybe then that officer could have simply checked the sticker and handle the situation rationally.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Another case of a government official thinking he knows who is disabled and who is not. I'm disabled and the doctors agree. Its the judge that decided that I'm not. Such a pain in the but country

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
This cop should probably focus more on doing his job than trying to be a role model. I get where he was coming from, but his job is to enforce the law... not lecture people on thoughtfulness.

I personally wouldn't have parked where the cop was parked either, but that's just me.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
two flags for the vet being so on top of it....
love my vets....we signed our life away for our buddies and the constitution...ya know.....willing to die....

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
The officer thinks if you can walk you aren't disabled? What a complete idiot! I don't look disabled either but have spinal problems. The minute I get into a store I need a cart to hang onto or the pain can get unbearable! That cop needs discipline for his behavior!!!

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Some disabilities aren't visible. Ignorant people like that cop have to learn this.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
For those who may not know, a disabled person who doesn't drive can get a parking card because others are driving them places. You don't need a drivers license, just an ID card.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

since he was in possession of HC parking, and the officer is the executing authority over those laws, i am not entirely certain that he doesn't have at the very least enough traction to take punitive action.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join