It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bush Announces Coalition to Aid Asia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
President Bush today announced that the United States has formed a coalition to deal with the Asian disaster. The United States, India, Australia and Japan will coordinate their relief and reconstruction efforts. He further indicated that the relief will be multi faceted and go beyond the initial 35 million that the U.S. has pledged. Immediate help may come in the form of a Marine expeditionary force and damage assessment teams.

story.news.yahoo.com
CRAWFORD, Texas - President Bush announced Wednesday the United States, India, Australia and Japan have formed an international coalition to coordinate worldwide relief and reconstruction efforts for the Asian region ravaged by a deadly earthquake and tsunamis.

"We will prevail over this destruction," Bush said from his Texas ranch in his first comments on the disaster. Officials for the region placed the death toll at nearly 77,000, but the international Red Cross and others feared that more than 100,000 have died.

Bush said the catastrophe had "brought loss and grief to the world that is beyond our comprehension," and he pledged a multifaceted response from the United States that goes far beyond the $35 million initially pledged.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While the worlds response is heartening, a coalition seems to be the way to go here. It will allow for organization which is vital in helping these people overcome this disaster. If each nation act independently, it will not have the same effect as a coordinated effort. Quite frankly Im glad to see that the nations are bypassing or at least running parallel to the U.N. whom I have little trust in to work well.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
ALERT! 9.0 Quake, Tsunamis Strike SE Asia - Estimates: 100,000+ Dead

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
As far as I am aware and as reported a couple of days ago, it was Alexander Downer (Australian Foreign Affairs Minister) who announced the "coalition".

Australia pledged US$27 million, the US pledged US$35 million. Do the demographics, it's interesting.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Finally!

Now this is what i call fighting the war on Terrorism!

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Australia pledged US$27 million, the US pledged US$35 million. Do the demographics, it's interesting.

Yeah and the EU gave $4.6 million whats your point? Australia is very giving with their aid.

[edit on 29-12-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Hmm just reporting what came over the AP. However, 27 vs. 35 million. Well on a cash basis maybe but you are filing to factor in the huge cost of airlift as well as the costs of a MEU if they deploy it an the like as well. Yes on paper it looks bad, but factopr in the intangables like how much UN money comes from the US that will head in that direction as well. Its also alot more than upfront money:

and he pledged a multifaceted response from the United States that goes far beyond the $35 million initially pledged. In the short-term, the help will include damage assessment teams and U.S. military manpower, such as a Marine expeditionary force followed by long-term rebuilding assistance

Nice try, but hey it not like its your tax dollars right?

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

its charity, not a cock measuring contest.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
*starts looking around for Indigo Child while heating up a big batch of crow...*

KIDDING...just had to do it, hehe...

[edit on 29-12-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   

CRAWFORD, Texas - President Bush assembled a four-nation coalition to organize humanitarian relief for Asia and made clear Wednesday the United States will help bankroll long-term rebuilding in the region leveled by a massive earthquake and tsunamis.
Long Term

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Yeah and the EU gave $4.6 million

Wrong
Germany alone gives 20 Million Euros

It is true that the inital aid was 3 Million Euros but that is simply because the EU itself does not have that much money under control.
The EU plans to raise 30 Million Euros plus the money the individual members donate of course.

Since the EU proposed a similiar commission as well, we�ll be in the boat too pretty soon.

[edit on 29/12/04 by tsuribito]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I think is a good idea, and I am glad that the US is helping as usual.

Now did anybody noticed Mr. Bush face seemed swollen specially around his eyes.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
This isn't the only thread I'm seeing this in, so please don't feel unfairly singled out by a comment that is directed at no one in particular here, but at an unfortunate but predictable phenomenon.

Pointing fingers at any country for how much they have or have not given to help the victims of the recent tsunami disaster is something I find personally disgusting and unseemly, and hope to see lose popularity in these forums.

There is nothing more detestable than the specter of political opportunists setting up their soapboxes atop the bodies of dead victims.

Like all scavengers, I suppose they serve a purpose, but that doesn't make them any less repugnant.

If you are a person who sees this disaster as an excuse to trot out your petty and insignificant prejudices, be advised that as far as I'm concerned, you are positioning yourself somewhere between vultures and corpse flies.

An incredible amount of support is being mobilized to help the survivors of this disaster, and amounts currently pledged by many nations are certain to increase as measures are put in place to make sure the aid money isn't siphoned off by criminals but used to truly help people.

Pushing propagandist crap from a perch composed of dead bodies doesn't help anyone.

Help is coming. Why not support relief efforts instead of bitching about them?

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Something to be proud of. Something we should check into and volunteer whatever services we could provide

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsuribito

Yeah and the EU gave $4.6 million

Wrong
Germany alone gives 20 Million Euros

It is true that the inital aid was 3 Million Euros but that is simply because the EU itself does not have that much money under control.
The EU plans to raise 30 Million Euros plus the money the individual members donate of course.

Since the EU proposed a similiar commission as well, we�ll be in the boat too pretty soon.

Thats true my bad the numbers have indeed gone up for the EU. Thats likely to be true for must other countries there aid will go up. I dont think the entire scope of the destruction is known yet or how much it will cost to help the people and help to rebuild.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Its not about numbers. You can throw dollar figures around, but as I pointed out before, the intangable things add up. Like the C-5's C-130's and C-17's that are heading over there. The logistical support and the like. Yes its cute to try to turn this into a telethon but thats not what it is about.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Six San Diego-based ships have been diverted to provide disaster and humanitarian assistance to victims of the earthquake and tsunamis in south Asia, according to the U.S. Navy's Seventh Fleet.

The ships, with Expeditionary Strike Group 5, include the amphibious ships Bonhomme Richard, Duluth and Rushmore, the guided-missile cruiser Bunker Hill, guided-missile destroyer Milius and guided-missile frigate Thach.

The strike group, which departed from San Diego on Dec. 6, will provide humanitarian assistance and disaster relief to the governments of Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Thailand and other affected nations, according to the Navy.

More than 70,000 people were killed when a magnitude 9 earthquake generated massive tsunamis that swept across the Indian Ocean and devastated the coastlines of 12 nations.

The Navy is also sending the Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group, according to the Seventh Fleet. P-3C Orion surveillance aircraft have also been sent to Thailand, where they will conduct search and rescue operations.
Navy

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Masked Avatar,

I do find you comments amusing however, once again, you have simply skirted the fact to provide us with your unique take on the US's generosity in times of need. I point you to this article for enlightenment:

'Stingy' Accusation Not True to U.S. Record

WASHINGTON � After President Bush defended the United States Wednesday against charges that it was stingy with humanitarian aid, a top U.N. official backtracked from his remarks.

"The general comment was on world levels of general assistance, which has had a downwards trend," said U.N. Emergency Relief Coordinator Jan Egeland. "I thought that was very clear to everybody, I spoke of something different in terms of donor response."

Senior U.S. officials interpreted Egeland's comments as a slap in the face and moved swiftly to portray the United States as the superpower of generosity.

"We gave $2.4 billion last year; 40 percent of total contributions by all countries," said U.S. Agency for International Development Administrator Andrew Natsios. "We are by far the largest donor � no one even comes close to us."
US Aid

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
India is pitching in USD 23 Million and mobilizing its warships that have fresh-water producing capability. These ships will compliment the US navy ships which will also be using their water purification plants to provide potable water to the affected populace.
Everyone is doing their bit and slowly but surely Aid will reach the needy.

Kudos to all the countries that are making an effort to help these poor souls.
And for the America Bashers here, I'd really like to know how much money did you personally donate for this cause and what percentage of your income was it?

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Masked Avatar,

I do find you comments amusing

Which comments?

Why?

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
MA, i think Fred thinks you're tops! There's a great brain behind that mask! - I wouldnt read anything else into it! ; > )

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Sigh

Look familiar? Words right out of the mask as it were.

top topics

join