It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unidentified Flying Objects? Nope, IFOUO's makes more sense!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Technically speaking I do not agree with the characterization used to describe objects that are not identified as being UFO's.

The fact they are considered unique examples does not mean they are unidentified. They are in fact identified as being different.

They can not be considered unidentified if they exist, right? Where did they come from? That is the real question.

Unnamed maybe, location unknown maybe, unreal maybe, unusual maybe, unbelievable maybe, but they are all identified as being flying objects.

So instead of using the Unidentified Flying Object moniker for these strange objects, I propose a change.

Of course, you are all welcomed to disagree with my reasoning, in fact, I expect it, but the term UFO just strikes me as being inaccurate.

Okay, I realize that an entire culture and way of thinking would be challenged by this, everyone has had this UFO beaten into their head for 50+ years, so I know it won't be easy to fix. Change is very difficult to start and implement.

First step is admitting that this is relevant. The second step is agreeing to cooperate. The third step is to follow through on said changes.

I admit it will take something much more catchy than UFO. Identified Flying Objects of Unknown Origin? They are objects of some sort, so Identified could be used somewhere, Flying is obvious, they are from an Unknown Origin, so there you go. IFOUO's.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: searcherfortruth
They can not be considered unidentified if they exist, right?

I think you're wrong there. If something exists it doesn't mean it is or can be identified.

Because you see something you know is there doesn't automatically assume you know what it is. Take some of the topics here that discuss strange object sightings on mars and the moon. We know that something is there and it exists because we can see "it" in it's shape and form, but we still can't identify these things can we? Just speculate a lot...again and again and again...
edit on 6/8/2015 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
IFOUO - that could be a plane I look up at the sky and see without knowing its starting point...

Right?

I'm not sure why you want to change the definition. It is "something flying in the sky and we don't know what the heck it is," not "look, there's a plane I don't know where it took off from!" Does that make sense? I'm not trying to be mean, I just don't know what you are attempting to get at. If I see an object in the air, and yes, it is flying or skimming or something that puts it up there, but it is unlike anything I've ever seen before, and after some research, its unlike anything anyone should be seeing up there, then, Unidentified Flying Object OR Unidentified Aerial Phenomenon work just fine for me... Doesn't suggest anything other that it's up there and we don't know what it is...

So - if I've misunderstood you, please clarify... (yes, I read the OP) Thanks!

- AB

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: searcherfortruth

I can understand your frustration

Do they exist lol ?

People still wonder

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: searcherfortruth

Sorry double post
How does that happen
edit on 6-8-2015 by MarryPass because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Unidentified only means that the observer doesn't know what he is looking at, technically to most people that see a plane in the sky are looking at an unidentified flying object unless he can identify what type of plane it is.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: JHumm
Unidentified only means that the observer doesn't know what he is looking at, technically to most people that see a plane in the sky are looking at an unidentified flying object unless he can identify what type of plane it is.

A plane is a plane, whether it be jet, turbine, or propellar, it is a plane, and obeys the laws of gravity and aviation. All planes have wings and all helicopters have propellors. I have seen several objects that have neither and make zero noise at a lower altitude than helicopters and have lights brighter than any vehicle I have ever witnessed. That is what unidentified means. Especially when I call local air force bases and ask about it and they have no record...except for the fact that there were multiple helicopters flying over within 5 minutes of myself seeing it. So there had to be a record, yet they wouldn't disclose why the helicopters were there-tracking something. If the only forces with the power to identify something cannot do so, then it is unidentified.

join