It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 10 advice.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Hello friends.

Im on my 3rd day learning to get around the new upload. It seems to take forever to load, and begins by saying there was a problem with shutdown last time...please wait.(there wasnt any issue shutting down any of the times I did)...still. It will update and then get to the sign-in. (it just took almost 10 minutes to the welcome screen!)

Ok...Im the only one using my laptop(where my issue lies)...have no installed software or games etc, and a lot of memory space, both storage and RAM.

Is there any way I can speed up the start process? Since its not laid out the same with W10, I guess its ok...though nothing seems to be in the common (old) locations...and thats fine.

I just would like some feedback from W10 users on some ways I can expedite start up. Sorry for what seems like a stupid question...but I know you guys are great with helping.

Thanks in advance...MS

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Have you run the Windows 10 Compatibility check?

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Have you tried opening the task manager and then disabling startup processes?

What are you looking for in the 'old' locations, and what OS was this upgraded from, 7 or 8.1?

edit: and don't forget that OneDrive will likely be automatically syncing, so switching that off might help for speed.
edit on 6/8/2015 by BombDefined because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Its rather intrusive, i would not recommend until we know exactly what features remain enabled even after being set to the off position. Just my opinion.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Additionally....it seems to not allow playing of any of my saved mp4's or mp3's...no matter which viewer I choose...media player, WINAMP, movies...all of them.

Confused to say the least!

Also avi's...Ive got tons of vids and concerts from 12 years back.
edit on 6-8-2015 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

I did, I will again. Thanks Heff'....

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: BombDefined

Will try your suggestions.

I updated from Windows 7. Reserved it in advance a month ago...it updated automatically at startup on the 2nd of Aug...

Thanks for the suggestions...will get back.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Windows 10 doesn't come with a media player. I'd suggest VLC for those files.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

If you're looking at tweaking settings, just search for 'control panel' in the omnibox thing on the start button. IIRC, the majority of the settings in there are set up pretty much the same as Win 7.

Also, i'm pretty sure you have 30 days to roll back to Win 7 if 10 isn't doing it for you.

Also, I second VLC player

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Given its a lappy make sure theres no problems with cooling to start with, if you can get into the bios check what temperature its running at with minimal load.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Did you dive in and download or did they notify you if it was ready for download (reserve). I waited for them to notify me of the download. I thought I read somewhere that if you waited windows would identify or not weather your computer was compatible...

I feel bad folks are having a hard time but I'm looking forward to installing this when I get home today or perhaps over the weekend...good to know to upload my videos elsewhere for the time being...

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
From a tech perspective, I use the following. Sysineternals Suite [direct link]
Within the Sysinternals there are 2 files I use a bunch. ProcExp (I use instead of task manager in Tree View) and Autoruns (tells me everything that auto starts at bootup/login/etc)

For Media, I use the CCCP Combined Community Codec Pack
The CCCP uses a slimmed down vers of media player that loads fast, and with the codecs, I haven't come across anything I could not play Vid wise.

Other then these things, you could try GodMode. See if there are settings there you can tweek.

Win 10 God mode
Create folder, name it
GodMode.[ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C]

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Just my rather "ignorant" dos centavos, but........I'm going to skip Windows 10 altogether. In fact I'm researching Linux/Ubuntu, which research isn't very easy. My greatest use of a Laptop/Netbook is reading the news, making an ass of myself on ATS and Music and playing my music files. If I can do that with Linnux......I don't need no stinkin' windows. And, one of the things I read about yesterday is something to the effect that the concept for many services behind Windows 10 is that some things will be subscription services so you can pay MS for the rest of your life for certain things. Unfortunately, I lost the link to that and I can't recall which services are subscription, but just to let you know to look out for that.
thanks and have a wonderful day.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Well...I seem to have solved the mp3, mpg4, wmv,avi's not playing.

Open with: (Are you ready for this?) PHOTOS! All my vids, movies, documentaries both on sep. external drives and in documents...going back to 2002...now all play fine...IF I click and open in PHOTOS.(windows 10)

I am a 1st Responder still with secure clearances and a lot of stuff goes back, and is pertinent to public safety and disaster preparedness.

So...am on to the rest of the suggestions...thanks

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Thanks...Im stuck dealing with city and fed, FEMA, DHS, and the like still using Windows, Powerpoints and DOS still!

So, Im kinda stuck with it...but if just me? I'd like to switch too......thanks again.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Skada

Thanks...I will look into your suggestions!

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

Nope...got it on a cooling fan elevated tray, and clean. Thank you tho...much appreciated. In fact? Its ALWAYS appreciated with ANY helpful info.

Thank you so much. MS

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This may help with your open with photo problems
How to setup your defauilt apps windows 10

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Guys? I seem to remember the days of Windows 98 (archaic), Millenium(really pointless), Windows 2005 (getting close to cool)...then XP (and the world seemed a bit less hassled...)

XP was pretty much great for a long time...until I got my HP Pavillion G Series laptop with Windows 7, and I thought it was just perfect for my needs....then I avoided Vista...avoided 8 and 8.1....reserved 10 as I said above...they said we're beginning to upload it to you...and BAM! Christmas.

So....One problem solved... a couple dozen more to go....and Ill tell you all.....

The NEXT Window upgrade I see...Im opening mine and jumping out it!

Thank you all...keep the suggestions coming for us Windows 10'rs!

edit on 6-8-2015 by mysterioustranger because: splchkr

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
a reply to: TonyS

Thanks...Im stuck dealing with city and fed, FEMA, DHS, and the like still using Windows, Powerpoints and DOS still!

So, Im kinda stuck with it...but if just me? I'd like to switch too......thanks again.

Hold up Buddy!
From everything I'm reading, the Linux/Ubuntu OS comes with an "Office Suite" which easily translates the MS Office products and is fully trans-conversant with them. That was always my first objection, but I think if you try it out, you might be pleasantly surprised. It all seems to have something to do with something called "open source"; not sure what that means.

I'm gonna try it out on the cheap and here's my idea I'll share with you. Check out Amazon, search on "Computers" and then use the search term "Linux Netbooks"; they got them and "cheap", like $200.00. That's cause the kids don't want netbooks, all they want is tablets and I Phones. You could do what I'm going to do and buy one and nose around the Linux world and see how you like it. I know one thing......its FAST! I had a friend show me his Linux Laptop and he was easily openning MS Word and Excel documents.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join