It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In a post SHTF world where the USA cease to exist which state government is more likely to survive?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: wastedown
I'm sorry but closing bridges would do nothing to stop hordes of starving people from crossing a river.

My belief is that if it all came crashing down, the number of good reasonable people wouldn't change, nor would the desire to bring back the old days. So, while there will be pockets of chaos(we deal with those now (parts of Detroit, Huston, Dallas, LA, Etc.) by avoidance) for the most part good people will work hard, rebuild, and defend each other, and in the end good will prevail.

I am an optimist, and a generally kind peaceful person, but that should never be mistaken for weakness. There are many more just like me. We will weather our floods and stand stronger after.

I'm still sticking with Texas, because I know Texans.

Ordinarily I'd agree. But we're talking about the mighty Mississippi in a world where there is no power anymore. Starving folks aren't rowing themselves across that in droves.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Low population isolated states like Wyoming would fair best. High population states like NY, Texas, California and Florida would in the worst shape. Texas and California would take it double with being border states where they would have to deal with a mass of humanity heading north.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

The future government is the Christian government ruled by those closest to God

There I said it

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Nice thread!

As a plausible scenario, you need to declare marshal law "Jade helm". As i see it, most major cities in the US will implode on its own weight, as most of the people living in the city has no knowledge of gathering food if it isnt walmart, and if i do recall a number of walmarts are closing cause of "plumbing" problem. The overwhelming black community will take over most parts of the southern US in total anarchy, same scenario as in Zimbabwe

All of the above is a theory and a worst case scenario.

Hawaii, Alaska will do fine.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   

After my initial response I would have to say none. I can't imagine in that situation any government would be given the power it needs to exist . Most people at that time would only recognize there own authority along with friends and family they trust to survive. I imagine at that point everything would break down into tribes. With what we now call government just being one of them.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: MasterFOy

A state government turning bull blown theocracy in a shtf scenario is only possible in the Bible Belt States though.

a reply to: Trixster

Alaska should be fine for those who lived off the land. The cities not so much. In Hawaii, Oahu is going became a 'die off zone' though.

a reply to: Reallyfolks
But what if a state government in a Bible Belt State became full blown theocracy in order to appeal to the religious folks? In a shtf scenario the religious folks would think its an act of God.
edit on 2-8-2015 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Maybe, but in times of peril even many non religious people turn to religion. Look how many times non religious people after a heavy night of drinking followed by a violent period of throwing up start calling oh God, or God make me feel better and I'll never do it again...lol.I still think everything would break down into tribes with no central authority recognized. I just think at that point recognizing any central authority be it religious or non religious based would be low on the list

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Reallyfolks

In the book series I mentioned in the OP, it mentioned how Mormons in Utah banded together to form the theocracy of New Deseret. So I get where your coming from.
edit on 2-8-2015 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
The key is community. Faith helps form community and a common bond in people whether you do or don't like what the common bond is based on. Neighborhood can also do the same as does family.

The key to government surviving is how well they can maintain some semblance of control and normalcy. For a state government as we know them to survive such upheaval, it would have to be able to do so by maintaining the trust and at least a modicum of goodwill in its populace since state governments as we know them are by consent, not force.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   

The communities where you can force totalitarianism are most likely to survive. The other way is like you say a theocracy but it will lead to tyranny.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Not saying it's not possible for that to happen. All I'm saying is that in a situation like that I don't think people are worried about recognizing any central authority. I can see a tribe based on theocracy, a tribe emerge based on what used to be government, etc. Basically those groups of people who love and trust each other come together to form their own tribal structure for survival. What I can't see is any single entity being recognized as having central control by any great majority

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
If the goverments collapse both state and fed i d look for a invasion to try to take over the Former US. OR the country might not do nothing but set up individual countries and decalre the debt of the US nullified due to it is no longer a country but 50 individual ones.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I read that series and from what I remember is that Iowa maintained itself because the ruler declared was an army officer that declared martial law over the area as a temporary measure until the larger country could get back on track. *spoilers*He is later murdered by his son who frames his other son for the crime when the first son finds out that the general is planning on turning the area back into the United States when he passes command and thus turns the entire area into a military dictatorship (that is also allied with those crazy theocractic guys in the next state over).

As to the answer of your question. None. If the country were dissolved as a country, what would result is massive internal and external power grabs that would restructure the boundaries of every state in the union. You would be lucky to ride through that chaos and come out the other side in a democracy. Why do I say this? Because mean people accumulate power faster than nice people.
edit on 3-8-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join