It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Army Reserve. Experience?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Hi all,

I'm posting here in regards to my brother's enlistment on the army reserves. Im seeking some advice/suggestions/comments...SORRY if this post is totally out of place.

He's a 19 yr old who'd made a rash decision to join the Army Reserve.His decision to sign the contract to enlist was largely (should I emphasize this more) influenced by his recruiter. The whole process of him first being introduced to the idea of the Reserves to finally signing the contract took no more than a week. (Where as Jonista here has thought about this since the year 2000--just to put this into perspective) He did bring up the idea of joining the Reserves to our family in the beginning when he first met with the recruiter. Our family especially my parents were very worried, like all parents would and also considering we're at a time of war. We all told him to think it through, do some research, and not let the recruiter be his primary resource of information. So the night before he had (secretly) signed the contract, I had spoken with him on the phone (I was away at school) and he agreed to take this slowly and find out whether he's truely ready for the Armyhe said that he won't need to decide until the following week anyway. He also promised that he will call me before he signs any papers.

So that was Tues. Saturday came along, and I got a phone call from my mom that my brother had signed the contract, not that day, but wednesday. the day after I spoke with him. I was just shocked beyond belief. Not only did he break his promise of not calling me before he'd signed the contract, he didn't bother to call me even days after he had signed the contract. It was very uncharacteristic of him to break such a solemn promise. So I knew then that he had made a rash decision that if he had enough time to really think about his decision he wouldn't have been afraid to annouce his decision. I spoke with the recruiter, she was no help. She insisted that he had wanted to do it, that he was excited about it all along. No ****...with the marketing degree.. ( excuse my profanity ).

So for the past weeks, our parents have somewhat come with his decision, and the rest of the family had been very supportive. But my aunt spoke with my mom last night. My aunt had spoke with a ex-Army Reservist who've served for 9 yrs. My aunt told him about my brother's decision and the ex-reservist suggested that if he had to choose again, he wouldn't have chose to do it...something along those lines. My other siblings and I also heard from people who knows people who've joined the reserves and many of them don't like talking about their experiences. This is what worried me the most. I just can't imagine what couldve possibly happened in teh reserves that isn't mentionable....or even just not worth mentioning.

I'm just worry for my brother. He's the youngest in the family. He's pretty easily manipulated, persuaded. So the success of the recruiter wasn't too much to my surprise. He has a really good heart. He's always willing to lend a hand, even to strangers. He's a bit weak in his self-confidence, and i would say that he's pretty emotionally sensitive. Nor is he big-built, he's 5' 4". We're Asian, his boot camp will take place in South Carolina..he's been told that he should be prepared for a culture shock, considering we're from California. So with all that, I'm just a bit..a lot worried about his time at camp. I've been told that he's gonna need to me mentally strong..but I'm afraid he isn't.

Our family have been trying to be as supportive as we can, despite we're all more afraid and worried than he is about his time at camp and the commitment he's made. But with the ex-Reservists telling me less and less..I've become more worried. I want my brother to be more mentally prepared before heading off to the reserve. I truly think, and so does he after breaking the news to our family, that his decision was too rash adn that his decision was largely influenced and manipulated by the recruiter.

Does anyone have any experiences they would kindly share as a Army Reservist? What can possibly be so unspeakable..?
He was considering about voiding the contract. What would the consequences be?
The recruiter mentioned that he'll have the option of continuing with the Reserves after his bootcamp training. How flexible is his option?
He was told that he has flat-foot, that he could possibly have a hard time with marching in his boots. We were told that it could possibly do damages to his spine. Would that be a valid reason to postpone/void the contract?
Suggestions or comments as to his options now?

Here's a little more info on my brother's assignment.
1 yr- Basic Training and Individual ...Training (in Physical Therapy); 2-4 yr- He can finish off his schooling. 5th-6th yr- ON Call/Active?

Thanks all. God bless.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Well, I've never been in the Reserves (did 20 years active in the AF), but have known many, most of whom switched to the Reserves after completing some years on active duty.

The trouble with the Reserves is that you can be called to active duty at any time...which is of course the whole point of having a Reserve force, but it's still something to think about. Especially at times like these!

Chances are he'll do just fine. But it seems to be a better choice (if a person wants some military experience, and/or wants Uncle Sam to pay for some education, and/or wants to see the world, etc.) would be to enlist for active duty, do the four years, then get out. The main advantage to this is that you have more control over your job specialty, and stand less chance of getting jerked around.

I would also say the the Air Force is a better choice, not just beacuse that was my choice, but also because there's simply less chance of getting shot at!

Don't worry too much about his lack of self-confidence & all that: basic training will either improve that or else he'll wash out. Boot camp has become more "PC" over the years, it's not like the movies, they won't be deliberately trying to "break him down" although he will of course have to toe the line, run alot, fold his underwear, say "Yes, sir!", etc.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe he has every legal right to pull out right up until the point where he "raises his right hand".

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by horseshoe
Hi all,

I'm posting here in regards to my brother's enlistment on the army reserves. Im seeking some advice/suggestions/comments...SORRY if this post is totally out of place.

Thanks all. God bless.

First off, it's completely normal for you to be concerned about family in whatever they do - particularly something that could be very dangerous.

That said, every person has the right to do what they want. Yes, the Army uses recruiters - but so does every other employer and college.

Whether the Army ends up being the best thing for your brother or not, it will almost certainly help him to mature, and make him a better all around person - this is something that any veteran will tell you. It will also either partially or completely pay for college/post military training.

Anyway, my personal advice would be to be supportive and proud. It sounds as if this is something that you and your family would never consider doing - the fact that your "little" brother is willing to make this decision regardless shows a level of maturity that many 19 year olds lack...

Also, on your other questions - validiting an enlistment contract will incur penalties, although not horrible. Flat feet are not a reason to void a contract, the Army will give him special boots. *I* would be more concerned about the lessons you are teaching your brother about honor - or the lack thereof - namely considering voiding a contract signed in good faith by a responsible adult.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Chances are he'll do just fine. But it seems to be a better choice (if a person wants some military experience, and/or wants Uncle Sam to pay for some education, and/or wants to see the world, etc.) would be to enlist for active duty, do the four years, then get out. The main advantage to this is that you have more control over your job specialty, and stand less chance of getting jerked around.

I'd agree with the above, though seems to be too late now. Also, I'd recommend the Coast Guard or Navy over the Air Force, as to getting shot at, but the Army or marines? He's going to see action most likely....

I'm a military brat myself, and though I couldn't serve because of a specific condition, I've known (and still know) many in the various services. Army is pretty much the second toughest boot camp (Marines is the hardest, and longest). The flat foot issue WILL be a hindrance in marches, runs, etc. Though as mentioned, he'll have boots to help a little with this....

If he ever wants to get some militant arabs out in the open, have him yell...

"Inta Mata Mus Yahoodi Zub!"

It means that the guy's mother sucks a certain Jewish male organ in Arabic...

If he's a good guy, and he sounds like it, he'll probably be one of the quieter guys in his group, and so probably will simply do his stuff and be fine. Rest assurred, boot camp will instill him with a great amount of confidence.

I'm also going to give it to you straight though. As an Army Reservist, you can almost guarantee that a) he'll be called to active duty VERY soon, and that b) he'll be going to the Middle East soon after. I'd strongly advise he start trying to learn a little bit of Arabic.

[edit on 29-12-2004 by Gazrok]

new topics

top topics

join