I'm posting here in regards to my brother's enlistment on the army reserves. Im seeking some advice/suggestions/comments...SORRY if this post is
totally out of place.
He's a 19 yr old who'd made a rash decision to join the Army Reserve.His decision to sign the contract to enlist was largely (should I emphasize
this more) influenced by his recruiter. The whole process of him first being introduced to the idea of the Reserves to finally signing the contract
took no more than a week. (Where as Jonista here has thought about this since the year 2000--just to put this into perspective) He did bring up the
idea of joining the Reserves to our family in the beginning when he first met with the recruiter. Our family especially my parents were very worried,
like all parents would and also considering we're at a time of war. We all told him to think it through, do some research, and not let the recruiter
be his primary resource of information. So the night before he had (secretly) signed the contract, I had spoken with him on the phone (I was away at
school) and he agreed to take this slowly and find out whether he's truely ready for the Armyhe said that he won't need to decide until the
following week anyway. He also promised that he will call me before he signs any papers.
So that was Tues. Saturday came along, and I got a phone call from my mom that my brother had signed the contract, not that day, but wednesday. the
day after I spoke with him. I was just shocked beyond belief. Not only did he break his promise of not calling me before he'd signed the contract, he
didn't bother to call me even days after he had signed the contract. It was very uncharacteristic of him to break such a solemn promise. So I knew
then that he had made a rash decision that if he had enough time to really think about his decision he wouldn't have been afraid to annouce his
decision. I spoke with the recruiter, she was no help. She insisted that he had wanted to do it, that he was excited about it all along. No
****...with the marketing degree.. ( excuse my profanity ).
So for the past weeks, our parents have somewhat come with his decision, and the rest of the family had been very supportive. But my aunt spoke with
my mom last night. My aunt had spoke with a ex-Army Reservist who've served for 9 yrs. My aunt told him about my brother's decision and the
ex-reservist suggested that if he had to choose again, he wouldn't have chose to do it...something along those lines. My other siblings and I also
heard from people who knows people who've joined the reserves and many of them don't like talking about their experiences. This is what worried me
the most. I just can't imagine what couldve possibly happened in teh reserves that isn't mentionable....or even just not worth mentioning.
I'm just worry for my brother. He's the youngest in the family. He's pretty easily manipulated, persuaded. So the success of the recruiter wasn't
too much to my surprise. He has a really good heart. He's always willing to lend a hand, even to strangers. He's a bit weak in his self-confidence,
and i would say that he's pretty emotionally sensitive. Nor is he big-built, he's 5' 4". We're Asian, his boot camp will take place in South
Carolina..he's been told that he should be prepared for a culture shock, considering we're from California. So with all that, I'm just a bit..a lot
worried about his time at camp. I've been told that he's gonna need to me mentally strong..but I'm afraid he isn't.
Our family have been trying to be as supportive as we can, despite we're all more afraid and worried than he is about his time at camp and the
commitment he's made. But with the ex-Reservists telling me less and less..I've become more worried. I want my brother to be more mentally prepared
before heading off to the reserve. I truly think, and so does he after breaking the news to our family, that his decision was too rash adn that his
decision was largely influenced and manipulated by the recruiter.
Does anyone have any experiences they would kindly share as a Army Reservist? What can possibly be so unspeakable..?
He was considering about voiding the contract. What would the consequences be?
The recruiter mentioned that he'll have the option of continuing with the Reserves after his bootcamp training. How flexible is his option?
He was told that he has flat-foot, that he could possibly have a hard time with marching in his boots. We were told that it could possibly do damages
to his spine. Would that be a valid reason to postpone/void the contract?
Suggestions or comments as to his options now?
Here's a little more info on my brother's assignment.
1 yr- Basic Training and Individual ...Training (in Physical Therapy); 2-4 yr- He can finish off his schooling. 5th-6th yr- ON Call/Active?
Thanks all. God bless.