It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Younger Dryas impact = Biblical Flood

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Younger Dryas impact = Inspiration for Epic of Gilgamesh / Biblical Flood Stories

For those that do not know what the Younger Dryas impact event is.. here's a brief explanation :

The general hypothesis states that about 10,900 years ago, air burst's or impact's from a near-Earth object's set areas of the North American continent on fire, disrupted climate and caused the extinction of most of the megafauna in North America and the demise of the North American Clovis culture after the last glacial period. This swarm is hypothesized to have exploded above or possibly on the Laurentide Ice Sheet in the region of the Great Lakes.

Evidence :

The evidence claimed for an impact event includes carbon-rich layers of soil that have been found at some 50 Clovis sites across the continent. The proponents report that layers contain unusual materials (nanodiamonds, metallic microspherules, carbon spherules, magnetic spherules, iridium, charcoal, soot, and fullerenes enriched in helium-3) that they interpret as evidence of an impact event, at the very bottom of black mats of organic material that they say marks the beginning of the Younger Dryas, and claim that this cannot be explained by volcanic, or other natural processes

Now imagine an impact, directly on a 1 to 2 mile thick ICE sheet. Much of that would be instantly liquefied during impact. Sending a raging flash flood down the Mississippi valley and spilling into the gulf of mexico. Sea levels at this time were ALREADY increasing steadily 10ft a century. This catastrophe would only escalate this value, causing a global reaction.

On top of an increasing sea level rise, you now have more water evaporating and being absorbed into the atmosphere, releasing even more CO2 from trapped ice. The more CO2 in the air, the warmer the planet got, the faster ice melted = the faster sea levels would continue to rise.

Now on the other side of the globe. You would see a massive sea level rise and more frequent storms/precipitation. Villages and towns located near the ocean would slowly be consumed or vanish in just years.

This brings us too >>> ( The Epic of Gilgamesh, an epic poem from ancient Mesopotamia. )

In the story, Gilgamesh to undertake a long and perilous journey to discover the secret of eternal life. Just as with the story of Noah and the Ark. Here we have a similar story depicting a final flood that consumes the land. Handed down as a punishment from the gods.

IMO, its not had to connect the two together. We have several stories all documenting a massive global flood during a time period where sea levels are rising at a record pace and wiping civilizations off the map.

Keep in mind, this is just a theory of mine, but would like to hear others opinions.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Triton1128

I thought they already explained the North American waste land and demise of dinosaurs by the impactor in the Yucatan Peninsula?

The 'round the world Tritium, cretaceous boundary layer? Or is this a different event?

Chicxulub

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I thought they already explained the North American waste land and demise of dinosaurs by the impactor in the Yucatan Peninsula?

The 'round the world Tritium, cretaceous boundary layer? Or is this a different event?

Chicxulub

They found proof of a North American impact, just within the last 10,000 years +/- some :

phys.org...

news.nationalgeographic.com...

www.sci-news.com...

^^ Here are a few links for background. Its hard to date the (when or where)the impact was because it was most likely on top of a mile+ thick ice sheet. ( no impact crater )

edit on 26-7-2015 by Triton1128 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-7-2015 by Triton1128 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
One of the better posts I've read about global flooding came from one of our esteemed members, Schuyler. There really isn't much I can add to it. He sums it up nicely, I think. I am not saying he's right. Neither is he, but it's an interesting take on an age old question.

There really was a flood. It did not blanket the earth; it just flooded the seacoasts where a lot of the civilizations were. It happened because of glacial melt about 12,000 to 14,000 years ago. we're still coming off an Ice Age, and when the ice surrounding Hudson Bay melted a whole lot of seawater rushed out raised the level of the oceans about 40-60 feet in a day.

the same exact thing happened to another lake in Canada where the dam broke and the water rushed out of Canada into Washington State and carved out the steppes of eastern Washington on its way to the Pacific Ocean resulting in the barren land that is there now. One of these is recognized as probably true by science; the other is regarded as mythical.

But there are legends of a flood in nearly every oral tradition, from China and Japan to aboriginal America to the Middle East. The story of Noah is just a variation on that theme. There was no actual Ark. There was no "animals 2 x 2." None of that makes any sense at all, but people did survive the flood and lived to tell the tale--changed with artistic license over thousands of years.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

This is exactly what I was thinking. My addition to this theory is the impact event. If it did strike a 2 mile thick ice sheet. I can't even imagine the amount of water that would of went raging down the Mississippi valley and into the gulf.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

I just think they are repeating the story

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Its hard to date the (where or when )the impact was because it was most likely on top of a mile+ thick ice sheet. ( no impact crater )

An impactor of sufficient size, say five miles across moving 15 - 40 KM per second, would penetrate a mile thick ice sheet in a fraction of a second, most assuredly leaving a crater.

These kinds of world changing impacts penetrate into the mantle tens of miles, regardless of whats on the crust at the time.

link to image

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Great thread thanks!

*Warning out the box comments coming..

I have found nuggets like the Younger Dryas impact dotted about whilst on My searches,Velikovsjy done some great stuff on stuff like this BTW.

I'm thinking that the 'great flood' of approx 10,000 years ago was due to an exceptionally close passage to Planet X,we may have been Sun side on that occasion.

With this Brown Dwarf and its debris trail meteor impacts are a guarantee as the Y.D. Was part of..

The thing is this was global...I have seen interesting evidence of Earth having a watery band around it and this may have been artificially destroyed,hence the deluge from *the sky*..

What is curious is how many animals died then (of coarse) but more so the *re/introducing* of many plants,grains (cannabis) and animals..not to mention that the Caucasian was created then and descendened from the Caucasus after the floods..

Just some food for thought..

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Its hard to date the (where or when )the impact was because it was most likely on top of a mile+ thick ice sheet. ( no impact crater )

An impactor of sufficient size, say five miles across moving 15 - 40 KM per second, would penetrate a mile thick ice sheet in a fraction of a second, most assuredly leaving a crater.

These kinds of world changing impacts penetrate into the mantle tens of miles, regardless of whats on the crust at the time.

link to image

I agree. If it were to that scale, then absolutely, there would of been a crater.

But what if it were an air burst event. Like the Tunguska event. The object blew up 5 miles in our atmosphere and flattened 830sq miles of trees. The object is estimated to be 150m is size, and released energy 1,000 times greater than that of the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima, Japan.

Aside from that, I was looking at radar scans of the great lakes.. and here we have an impact crater. Its at the bottom of Lake Ontario > Click Here

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

But what if it were an air burst event. Like the Tunguska event.

Those don't leave craters, only direct impacts do that. Burn everything, make a mess of downed trees for miles… still, no crater was found at Tunguska.
edit on 26-7-2015 by intrptr because: bb code

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Compare the original, Atrahasis, flood story with Hurricane Katrina .... Torrential rain, terrific winds and a storm surge.

That is what it describes. Nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

you can look a lot closer to " home " for the backstory of the flood myths [ at least for middle eastern cultures ]

the black sea innundation

various events in the med

various events in the PG

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

But what if it were an air burst event. Like the Tunguska event.

Those don't leave craters, only direct impacts do that. Burn everything, make a mess of downed trees for miles… still, no crater was found at Tunguska.

intrptr, we are on the same page. Not sure where the confusion is.

I'm reiterating the plausibility of a Tunguska event over the North American Ice Shelf 10,000 years ago. Which liquefied a 2 mile thick ice shelf and caused a massive rush/surge into the Gulf of Mexico. This result would raise the sea level drastically at a time when it was rising upwards of 10ft per century already.

** Bonus ** I'm a physics major with a minor in astronomy, I'm well aware of the differences between an air burst and a direct hit

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

you can look a lot closer to " home " for the backstory of the flood myths [ at least for middle eastern cultures ]

the black sea innundation

various events in the med

various events in the PG

I assume you are referring to the destruction of the Minoan Civilization? " The Eruption of the Santorini Volcano "

I too was thinking that could be a viable option for explaining the flood story. Since pretty much everything around the Mediterranean would be affected to one degree or another. But that event was 3500 years ago. 2500 BC. The Epic of Gilgemesh pushes back another 1000 years if not more. So I'm looking for another large scale event somewhere between 11500 and 4500 years back.

Keep in mind, the flood story isn't a local fable just for the middle east / Mediterranean.

Africa, Asia, South America, Europe, even Australia... have there own variations of a massive global flood story.

For me, the only options is an external source.

A massive gravitational body coming too close to Earth would cause mega tides and cause ocean swells so large that hundreds of miles inland would be covered in water. ( until this rogue body passed )

Or

A massive impact over a large ice shelf or into the ocean.. which would cause a large tidal surge to travel around the globe. Drowning out any shoreline settlement/establishment.

Again. This is just my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Randall Carlson covered this topic very thoroughly on the Joe Rogan podcast and in other interviews.

Recommend looking him up. He claims it was from a cosmic event.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

What about the chevrons of Madagascar? Could we detect chevrons in other areas through topography?

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Interesting idea, to be certain! Have you compared it with anything Graham Hancock has proposed? He's got some theories on some of that as well, though I haven't had time to get through the book I have, and thus am not as familiar with the details.

You idea does sound plausible, at least at a first glance. And, yeah, pretty much every culture on the planet with old records has some sort of flood legend.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: EndOfDays77
*snip*

The thing is this was global...I have seen interesting evidence of Earth having a watery band around it and this may have been artificially destroyed,hence the deluge from *the sky*..

I would love to see some of that, if you have links. This topic has always been of interest to me. I believe it was global as well. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

*snip*

I would love to see some of that, if you have links. This topic has always been of interest to me. I believe it was global as well. Thanks.

So you discount the tens of thousands (if not more) of core samples taken all over the world that all indicate that there was no such global event?

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

*snip*

So you discount the tens of thousands (if not more) of core samples taken all over the world that all indicate that there was no such global event?

If you want to discuss those, please provide links. There is plenty of evidence to support a global flood, and many have discussed it. Hancock alone talks about all sorts of evidence, and he's not coming from a Christian viewpoint.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join