It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Data files move when clicked

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I choose to see my data in list view. This creates columns of files.

When I click on a file it jumps sideways and I have to use the slider at the bottom of the screen to locate the file again. Sometimes I have to have 3-4 goes at opening a file because each time I click on it, it jumps. This can happen several times before I can get it to open.

When I say click on it I mean that I click once to try and 'hold' it in place so I can double click it again to open it. This jumping happens with all file types ie, Word, pictures and video files.

Any ideas on what causes this and what the fix is?

I run ASRock Z68 Pro3-M and windows 7 on my PC.

No spyware/malware programs come up anything. I've used Tweeking.com which I find a good little program as it fixes the operating system - (win 7) and this has fixed many things it has no impact on this problem.

Thanks in advance

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 05:59 AM
link   
S&F because I would like the answer myself. I think it is Windows 7 that is the cause.

It is annoying.

Probably programed by a cowboy ( or cowgirl) line dancer.

P

edit on 25/7/2015 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Try right clicking on the file you're trying to open.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Sounds like you might have a mouse tracking issue. Have you tried a different mouse? The laser could be going out or is dirty.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
I think it is Windows 7 that is the cause.

I don't know why someone would say something like this. I've had 3 computers running Windows 7 since release and have never had a single, solitary issue. Windows 7 has been the most stable version of Windows since XP.

If someone is having issues, it's more than likely a hardware or software issue before it's an OS issue.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I had a similar problem once. It was due to the mouse going bad. Try replacing the mouse and see if it changes anything.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: babybunnies

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   

It sounds to me like a key is stuck down on the keyboard.

Open wordpad/notepad, or any office type program.

Try all the keys to see if they work.

Then turnoff laptop, run your fingers across all keys quickly and moderately firm to try and loosen any stuck keys.

Is this a problem on a laptop/netbook by any chance?

If so and above doesn't fix it the keyboards are prone to going bad so you may need a replacement. Get back to me if that's the case and I can advise you.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: _BoneZ_

Sounds like you might have a mouse tracking issue. Have you tried a different mouse? The laser could be going out or is dirty.

originally posted by: trollz
I had a similar problem once. It was due to the mouse going bad. Try replacing the mouse and see if it changes anything.

^These.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I was using a corded mouse and then to a cordless but nothing changes.

The computer is PC. AS Rock Pro3 M, 4 g ram and win 7 and Office 2007

I've just about punched the computer out a couple of times over this. Right click, left click still the same. Not noticed any issues with the key board.

My computer at my work place which also runs win 7 does not have this problem.

I would do a reinstall if I could that there's issues with that to.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 04:11 AM
link   

The same thing happens on my computer too. Windows 7 and doesn't matter if it's mouse or mousepad and it's a minor irritant.

I've screencapped a sub-folder I have in listed view.

For example, if I click on Williams' book, the files all jolt to the left and I then have to click on the file again (to open) when it's in-line with the left hand column. The 'Details' view doesn't have this effect so that's what I use as a 'second-best' solution.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

That is it exactly. And it is in Windows 7 and only in that view.

P

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

TBH, before you and Azure mentioned it, I hadn't considered that other people had the issue too. The 'list view' always looks tidier than the other options doesn't it? Cleaner-looking and more files are visible on-screen than other choices.

It only seems to happen when there are enough files to need a third column and not always then either. I just created a folder and played about with columns and numbers of files. The problem appears when the third column is almost full and all columns after the third cause that 'jump' effect.

Guess now we know that it's a W7 thing, we can move on and forget it.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

The same thing happens on my computer too. Windows 7 and doesn't matter if it's mouse or mousepad and it's a minor irritant.

I've screencapped a sub-folder I have in listed view.

For example, if I click on Williams' book, the files all jolt to the left and I then have to click on the file again (to open) when it's in-line with the left hand column. The 'Details' view doesn't have this effect so that's what I use as a 'second-best' solution.

Thanks for that, cheers

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
a reply to: pheonix358

TBH, before you and Azure mentioned it, I hadn't considered that other people had the issue too. The 'list view' always looks tidier than the other options doesn't it? Cleaner-looking and more files are visible on-screen than other choices.

It only seems to happen when there are enough files to need a third column and not always then either. I just created a folder and played about with columns and numbers of files. The problem appears when the third column is almost full and all columns after the third cause that 'jump' effect.

Guess now we know that it's a W7 thing, we can move on and forget it.

thanks for the work you done on this.

top topics

join