It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran to join ITER project

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Iran will join the ITER project which is consisted of Europe, the US, Japan, South Korea and India and now Iran .

Iran will join the efforts of building a nuclear fusion reactor with 80 of it's most top nuclear scientists and monetary investment .

Iran plans to join a plan for the construction of the world's largest nuclear fusion reactor known as the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER) in France.
“The nuclear fusion reactor, which is to be launched in France, will generate 300 MW of power. Trade reactors will be made in case the project goes well,” said Mahmoud Qoran-Nevis, the head of Plasma Physics Studies Department of Science and Research Branch of Islamic Azad University, ISNA wrote.
The reactor is expected to be launched on a trial basis in 2021.
“Nuclear fusion can be controlled only for a few seconds and needs research reactors that work continuously to generate power,” he said, adding that the studies are not monopolized by certain countries anymore because the construction process requires more time and expense.

www.iran-daily.com...

===============

previously , Iran was a collaborator with a small research team deployed to france , and now its a participating state .

from 2012 :

www.payvand.com...

Here is a good article about ITER and its effects on future of mankind :

www.euronews.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: haman10

So they're building what is likely the world's largest tokamak. That's a huge investment, yes, but there could be equally huge benefits it seems. Cool article. Thanks for posting them.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Wow, and it will not produce fissile material for making the dreaded bomb; go figure.

Nuclear power for peaceful purposes….

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname

It's in France anyway, so even if it did produce fissile material it wouldn't mean Iran had any access to it.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy
Thanks, you can tell that I didn't read the original link.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Lol

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: haman10
Well done Iran I say.

The more countries who sign up to make clean fusion power a reality,the better.

All living species on planet Earth NEED this technolgy,and fast.
Lets hope we haven't left it too late.

Its a small world,and we need large scale clean energy if we are to go on living.

Mother Nature has her reasons for locking away millions of years worth of carbon-and it was not so some two legged abominations like us could burn it all in a few hundred years.

No trolls-I am not a hippie greenie weirdo.
I speak from a logical perspective.

The all powerful oil companies will destroy our planet if the current energy systems continue.
We NEED fusion if we want our grandchildren to have a decent future

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I love this. Of all of the middle eastern countries, Iran has the most potential of helping us advance as a species.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   
The problem is that the ITER reactor is a prototype and no one can be really sure it will work as expected.
If it works, OK fine, Iran will be able to use the most advanced tech for his civilian energy production.
If it don't (remember Superphénix) it will just be wasted money.

Remember when Lockheed-Martin announced a comparable device that would fit in a shipping container ?
The US are part of ITER project as well but :
Senate subcommittee moves to pull U.S. out of ITER fusion project

edit on 24-7-2015 by theultimatebelgianjoke because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 03:20 AM
link   
It's a little bit misleading, because this is a plan for Iran to join ITER, not that they have joined, or will be allowed to join.

I have seen no independent news corroborating the links. You would have thought such a monumental change of membership of such a high-profile scientific project would have been more widely reported, including by ITERs own press department.

www.iter.org...

Can Iran afford to be a paying member of the ITER club, or is their contribution going to be that their scientists will be allowed to work at the facility?

Either way, perhaps this will be a nice reward for Iran as they come in from the cold, following recent agreements about their own nuclear ambitions. I have no illusion that Iranian scientists will being something to the party, both at a political and practical level.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=19608542]paraphi[/post

As far as I know, Persian scientists are among the best in the world but they've had limited help and funding . Good post. I agree with everything you have said. 👍

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
It's a little bit misleading, because this is a plan for Iran to join ITER, not that they have joined, or will be allowed to join.

I have seen no independent news corroborating the links. You would have thought such a monumental change of membership of such a high-profile scientific project would have been more widely reported, including by ITERs own press department.

www.iter.org...

Can Iran afford to be a paying member of the ITER club, or is their contribution going to be that their scientists will be allowed to work at the facility?

Either way, perhaps this will be a nice reward for Iran as they come in from the cold, following recent agreements about their own nuclear ambitions. I have no illusion that Iranian scientists will being something to the party, both at a political and practical level.

Well , what you said is correct , plus according to Iranian services , this should also be approved by Iranian parliament since its a very huge investment .

I hope it's approved by both sides

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   

ITER certainly won't.

But you can use conceivably use neutrons from DT fusion to transmute U-238 into Pu-239. It's not clear that it's sensible as an engineering or economic solution but it's not impossible technically, especially if you wanted to do it clandestinely and avoid controls on fission reactors---the conventional way of doing this. You'd still need a reprocessing plant.

top topics

join