It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

=NEW= Light-weight Ballistic Anti-blast Armor...Save Our Troops!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Bomb-proof Jeep

If you're a regular viewer of Daily Planet, you�ll probably remember Troy Hurtubise. He's an inventor from North Bay, Ontario who has a panache for demonstrating his inventions in a dramatic, and often dangerous way. His latest project involves working on protecting soldiers from bombs. And as you're about to see, for Troy, it's an invention that has a special significance.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Planet Daily (Discovery-Science Channel) interviews Hurtubise during recent top-secret demonstration for special military analyst.

This innovative yet zany inventor has done it again!

Combining his proprietary "1313" hardening compound with his fire-paste, metal sheets, kevlar & other materials-- Hurtubise has created these new "Light Infantry Military Glass Cushions."

This dawgone stuff is amazing. Survives military rounds, shot-gun blasts, even multiple close-range explosive blasts!
Watch Interview -or- Watch Interview (direct media link)

This initial proof-of-concept military analyst meeting occurred only a few months ago.

>> Anyone know if the military approved plans to proceed with next phases like 'Live Range' & full-scale testing?

Related Links:

+ Google Search- hurtubise 1313 OR fire paste OR firepaste

+ "Project Grizzly" 1998 Nobel Prize Winner

+ Other Hurtubise Info on Daily Planet

+ HotAIR - IG NOBEL FOLLOW-UP -- Troy, Oil, and the Balance of Power site also discusses Troy's encounters with techno-spies, thieves, etc

+ troy hurtubise | welcome to projecttroy.com

+ IG NOBEL UPDATE-- Flameproof Troy

+ Info about Fire-paste & other Cool stuff note: find Hurtubise info near bottom of site's page
+ AlternativeScience.com Flame-proof

+ Google Search- Troy Hurtubise

[edit on 30-12-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
It works, but its a little bulky. I don't think a foot soldier would want to dress in alot of that, but it would be good to use on the bottom of the convoys.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
only $300 / bag. why aren't these things going into full scale production right now? I wonder how much each one weighs and how much weigh in armor woudl be added to the average humvee to upfit it. I was convinced. Now if this can just make it to the battlefield before hundreds more have to die needlessly

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Isnt the Daily Planet the Newspaper from Superman?

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
impressive.

By the way he handled it it looked pretty light (around 20 lb), the should have the underbody a humvee covered with it, and one in every door. Yes, mine protection is allready obtainable with the humvee today, but I have a feeling its not as cheap as this, and money is tight with the army, so I think this would be a good alternative. Obviously this isn't for people to wear though, but the allready have vests there, its the vehicles there in that are fairly weak.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Does anybody know how much modern armour for vehicles and bullet proof vests cost as a comparison?

[edit on 29/12/2004 by Slashpepper]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Impressive stuff, i liked the inventor's spirit.

People are right a soldier couldn't wear that, but it would be ideal for such vehicles as the Humvee.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 06:27 AM
link   
here's a armoued landrover
www.lrm.co.uk...
www.moonrise.ws.../MLArmour

why can't vehicles such as these be used.. they did and prob. still do in Northern Ireland when dealing with such street/urban warfare

Defender DAS. Utilising the unique modular construction of the Defender, this innovative product allows the user to install or demount armoured panels and glass screens to a prepared General Service Vehicle, transforming a standard vehicle to an Armoured Personnel Vehicle within hours. Protection to B6+ or Stanag 4569 level 1 can be provided with additional optional anti-personnel mine protection. This concept presents clear logistics and cost benefits to any defence force enabling the operator to upgrade armour, remove armour for low threat duties or to use with partial protection or anti-personnel mine protection alone. The Defender DAS is also available in a permanently armoured condition
www.sovereign-publications.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
impressive.

By the way he handled it it looked pretty light (around 20 lb), the should have the underbody a humvee covered with it, and one in every door.

Or just stop using an open top barely armoured car as a military vehicle. Those guys might as well be in toyota pickups.

, its the vehicles there in that are fairly weak.

Considering that the US probably won't be fighting a convetional army for much of the time in the near future, it really does need to develop vehicles that can withstand rpg attacks and IED road attacks, since that does seem to be where the bulk of soldiers are getting killed. I know that the Bradleys can take some of it and the Strykers can be 'modified' with that weird gate armour for RPGS but still, these are things designed for conventional war, not insurgency.

new topics

top topics

join