It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking announces $100 million hunt for alien life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
On Monday, famed physicist Stephen Hawking and Russian tycoon Yuri Milner held a news conference in London to announce their new project: injecting $100 million and a whole lot of brain power into the search for intelligent extraterrestrial life, an endeavor they're calling Breakthrough Listen.

"We believe that life arose spontaneously on Earth," Hawking said at Monday's news conference, "So in an infinite universe, there must be other occurrences of life."

Makes sens to me

Geoffrey Marcy, a University of California, Berkeley, astronomer who found most of our first exoplanets, also spoke at the event as part of the group's brain trust.

"The universe is apparently bulging at the seams with the ingredients of biology," Marcy explained. Indeed, Marcy and other scientists have found a surprising number of Earth-like exoplanets in recent years — rocky planets the right distance from their suns to support water — suggesting that life as we know it is at least possible, if not probable, all over the universe.

Whelp , 100 mil on the line ... that's a big chunk of $$$

They might not have "hunt" far , their answers just might be here on earth *cough* maybe someone will come forward for that kind of money ..

anyway ..

More reads Here

♠Kap♠

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I just saw this on the front page of Fox News. Wasn't Hawking saying just a few months back that we should not try to contact life outside of earth. What is the big push now?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Watcher777

Hawking wants to detect life, not necessarily contact the potential invaders. I'm in agreement with Hawking that openly seeking life by a beacon announcing your location is foolish. Also, he is looking for "life", not necessarily intelligent life.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I'd think the nearest evidence we have is possibly on the meteorites, some of which are from Mars. We should investigate them further so see if what's seen in them can be tied conclusively to extant life. As it's now, the evidence is ambiguous enough to be pushed aside, but maybe with more effort, something can be found to confirm or deny.

That's where I'd put my money first. Otherwise, I'm not sure. Unless ET organisms/etc or extant ET organisms/etc are conveniently drifting in Earth orbit or in our upper atmosphere or perhaps just in general drifting around in our atmosphere, we're going to have to spend a lot of money to find it.

But maybe hte evidence can be found in our own dna? I know they've linked some things to Earth, but what if we found something which indicated a non-earthly origin? Perhaps it's right underneath our nose.

And for that matter, what if there's a form of life which doesn't fit our current model, maybe deep inside hte earth? I think I recall someone asking what if there was life based on sulfur/silicon/etc. Not a lot of attention is given to it since everytime it's investigated it's discovered it doesn't meet some standard critical to life as we know it. It seems if there's life based on something else, it's not based on chemistry at all.
edit on 21-7-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Watcher777
I just saw this on the front page of Fox News. Wasn't Hawking saying just a few months back that we should not try to contact life outside of earth. What is the big push now?

probably just curiosity, or maybe certainty ...

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

What if Steven hawking has long been and will soon publicly be known as an Oracle for "ET"?

Theory: He has long been a vegetable human wise and "ET" has been telling us what they want us to hear from a trusted reputable scientific source . Who would not trust Steven hawking? The truth is anybody can talk through his computerized voice.

When hawking "finds" extraterrestrial life, it will merely usher in the era of AI, and genetically modified and hybrid humanoids that will have an open invitations as ressurected and or newly created lifeforms to live on and exploit earth. It's already been happening but under the surface.

(post by okantonio removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: sociolpath
a reply to: Kapusta

What if Steven hawking has long been and will soon publicly be known as an Oracle for "ET"?

Theory: He has long been a vegetable human wise and "ET" has been telling us what they want us to hear from a trusted reputable scientific source . Who would not trust Steven hawking? The truth is anybody can talk through his computerized voice.

When hawking "finds" extraterrestrial life, it will merely usher in the era of AI, and genetically modified and hybrid humanoids that will have an open invitations as ressurected and or newly created lifeforms to live on and exploit earth. It's already been happening but under the surface.

That's quite an active imagination you have.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Please continue discussion in the existing thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closing duplicate.

top topics

join