It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just questions?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Ok ok I know this is not the best post but I was curious. It seems to me that most Christians I meet seem to think you have to be a Christian to be saved? Is god such and bigot that he would only want to save a Christian? I doubt it. Let me know what you believe.

Why do you think someone would want to be saved in the first place? Likely most would say they do not want to burn in hell for eternity. Seems to me like most people choose it out of fear. I mean come on why would anyone want to burn for eternity? So if this holds true why would a god want to have people come to him out of fear. Once again I doubt that he would.

God is our father in my belief and is forgiving beyond any mortal's capability. If this is true why would he punish me for eternity if I do not listen to him. I mean come on my mortal dad would not even do that.

Is it just me or does the bible seem to make God sound childish and evil? I mean in many instances within the bible if you are even a little hesitant in your belief in him or a sinner (we all are he made us that way by giving us free will) he will sentence you to hell. To me I really do not like the bible because it contradicts its' self on many occasions and is just a book full of misleading material. Why can't people just find god in themselves instead of a book, after all he made us and so we should be able to find him where ever we go.

Sorry starting to ramble, I just do not like how so many judge others and so here is my paraphrases from the bible that I hold dearest to my heart:

1) Look not at the speck in your brother's eye but the plan in yours.

2) Jesus there is a man performing miracles in the lord's name but he is not of us. Jesus if he is not against us then he is with us is he not?

3) A woman should do everything her husband says (this is where most people stop) but goes on to say she should only do so if her husband meets the definition of a husband god has layed out.

Anyways just food for thought and ADDHD kicking in.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Why would people wish to join a group? It gives them an identity, a sense of belonging and purpose in life. The more exclusive the club, the higher the esteem of the individual.

Would you join a group that is open to everyone? I see the Christian church in the same way. God does not require people to build temples in his name, nor does he require that you worship or "warship" him.

I would think most christians would never meet their requirements for heaven.

And I have never known a good reason for being saved, being saved from what?

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Okay, really short answer: I can't speak for everyone, but I can give my view. I'm a Christian (in some sense) but I don't for ONE second believe you have to be a Christian to be saved, neither do you have to go to church. God is everything, everywhere. As long as you acknowledge this, thank him/her/it, be grateful for all that you have and lead a good life. The bible and other religous texts set out the basics on how to behave, but it's not exhaustive. Just lead your life, be good to others, be a nice person, and do the right thing. You can say "but what is the right thing?" but in the bottom of every humans heart is the knowledge of what is right and what is wrong. It's built into us and it's up to you to actually DO the right thing. As long as you do this and realise that God (or whatever you want to call him/her/it) is the thing that makes everything possible and is there for everyone, of all religions (and even Atheists) then you are on you are doing the best you can.

Okay, not a short answer after all, but don't just dismiss it because it's not a typical "Chriistian or burn in hell" attitude, read it and think.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 06:20 AM
link   
There is but one way to get to heaven. Thru Jesus. One must be "born again" ie Baptized. Even Christ had to be Baptized.

There is no "eternal" hell. That would require eternal "life" something that is only reserved for the righteous. There is a resurrection for judgment but if found "guilty" there is a "second death.

God destroyed the planet once and he will do it again.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 06:26 AM
link   
That belief is based on a mistranslation, they are talking about the sun and not the son. You have to pass through the sun to be reborn or saved.

Does Jesus accept major credit card?

[edit on 28-12-2004 by Justanotherperson]

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 06:29 AM
link   
So Jesus is the only way to heaven. Well that kind of sucks if it is true, I mean for all those that believe in Buda, Allah, and other various names for the creator. Oh well I will never know until I die and maybe not even then, will my conscious know or will it be my soul? If it is my soul then why can't I communicate with my soul. Bahh more questions seems almost like the beginning of the bible question of life begot the question of self worth, begot the question of love, etcc...... I dislike questions sometimes.

Thanks for your inputs and I have to agree with Chebob the most so far. It is the easiest and I like to say why work harder when you can work smarter. Treating others nicely comes easy to me. However, I am human and can hate just as easily (damn my frailty)

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by FALLOUT SHELTER
It seems to me that most Christians I meet seem to think you have to be a Christian to be saved?

I think the only thing that can 'save' humanity is.. humanity.

Is it just me or does the bible seem to make God sound childish and evil?

The bible seems to be a guide in our to live morally.. and immorally.
I follow my own conscience and I would never allow corrupted doctrine to undermind it.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
That would require eternal "life" something that is only reserved for the righteous.

But apparently it's the meek that will inherit the earth.. not the righteous?

top topics

join