It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

B61 test 7/1/2015

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 04:33 AM
link   

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The United States Air Force (USAF) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) completed the first development flight test of a non-nuclear B61-12 gravity bomb at Tonopah Test Range in Nevada on July 1, 2015.

nnsa.energy.gov...

Two more tests scheduled. I wish I had the schedule. ;-)

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 04:40 AM
link   

The B61-12 LEP refurbishes both nuclear and non-nuclear components to extend the bomb’s service life while improving its safety, security and reliability. With the incorporation of an Air Force provided tail-kit assembly, the B61-12 will replace the existing B61-3, -4, -7, and -10 bombs.

Upgrading dumb iron nukes to GPS glide, what an 'improvement'. Now they can use smaller ones to hit targets more precisely at greater stand off ranges which make the device more 'suitable' for theatre tactical nuclear strike scenarios. Like In Eastern Europe and Russia, for instance?

More suitable nukes…

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 05:42 AM
link   
No links and all the following is from memory:

There has been a military doctrine change this last year. Tactical nukes are no longer forbidden:

This particular weapon is suppose to be used against deep underground facilities when the nuke and GPS guidance is attached. Think Iran and underground nuclear development stations or other countries that have deep facilities that one day uncle sugar may want to take out. .

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

There is no mention of GPS in the article.

When I first read about the "life extension" project, the notion was the old design had vacuum tubes in it. So yeah, it needed a tweak.

fas.org...

The FAS blog mentions new targeting accuracy, but only if launched from the F-35.

Somewhere along the way some nuclear treaty must have expired and nobody sent me the memo. I thought there were limits to what planes could be nuclear capable. Somewhere on ATS there was a thread on how to visually detect a nuclear capable B-52, and this was a treaty requirement.

BTW, in the NNSA photo, the missile is spinning. I looked at the NNSA flickr page and they don't have any high res photos of the test.

In a lot of ways the TTR is just as interesting as Groom Lake. And though infinitely more easier to observe, not much leaks. If the NNSA didn't publish this test, who in the general public would know it happened.

I'm relatively sure we aren't going to nuke anybody. This is just posturing. But I'm sure Putin isn't pleased.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: gariac

There is no mention of GPS in the article.

They don't say it outright but it is GPS. Called INS (internal navigation system) here:

Therefore an improvement in accuracy from 100-plus meter CEP (the current estimated accuracy of the B61) down to 30-plus meter CEP (assuming INS guidance for the B61-12)

Link to article

An INS tail fin package incorporates Global Positioning Satellite support. Thats what is improving the accuracy, making nukes more "acceptable" for field use because of increased accuracy.

INS/GPS

Are you listening Eastern European nations, members of NATO?

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: gariac

I see there was talk about intergrating this system on the f-35. Of course it only makes sense to intergrate a strategic role into the multi role strike fighter.

This makes these recent tests and upgrades seem like the logical frame work for such a deployment.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Nvm.
edit on 7/18/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 02:20 AM
link   
third test of the B61

I guess I missed the 2nd test. ;-) Apparently this is the final test of the upgraded B61. Kind of hard to believe anything gets approved in three tests, but maybe the upgrade wasn't all that complicated.

top topics

join