It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Ukraine Transport Minister Found Shot Dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
The Ukranian Transport Minister Heorhiy Kyrpa has been found dead from gunshot wounds outside of his home. A local station has reported that a gun was found near the body. Police are investigating and this is a developing story.

story.news.yahoo.com
KIEV, Ukraine (Reuters) - Ukrainian Transport Minister Heorhiy Kyrpa was found dead Monday at his home outside Kiev, a government source said.

"An investigating group from the police are working at the scene. He was found dead with gunshot wounds at his dacha just at the outskirts of Kiev," the source said.

The television station 5 Kanal reported a gun was found near the body. It was not clear whether Kyrpa killed himself or was murdered, the government source told Reuters.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have not been able to find which camp he was on. It is also unclear if this was a suicide or an assassination. Coming on the heels of the election, it is suspicions to say the least. This is a developing story and I will post more details as they become available.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
POLITICS: Ukranian PM: I Will Never Accept Election Result

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I only found this from BBC

Mr Kyrpa, 58, appointed in 2002, was a staunch supporter of Prime Minister Viktor Yanukovych.

and that he was appointed by Kuchma for tansport in july this year...
www.infoukes.com...

maybe it has to do sth with raiload problems, which might get out in daylight with new president ???:

AS TRANSDNIESTER SEIZES MOLDOVAN LOCOMOTIVES. Miron Gagauz, director-general of the Moldovan National Railroad Company (CFM), on 18 August sent a telegram to Ukrainian Transport Minister Heorhiy Kyrpa expressing "serious concern" over the situation regarding the rail line between the Transdniestrian town of Rybnitsa and the Ukrainian town of Slobodka, Infotag reported. Gagauz said the Transdniester authorities seized Moldovan locomotives after Chisinau announced it was temporarily suspending rail traffic on the line because it can no longer maintain it. Transdniester, Gagauz said, is operating the trains under the oversight of armed officers and Ukraine is accepting this situation, which he called "a gross violation of international norms and rules." The Transdniestrian town of Rybnitsa is home to the region's largest metallurgical plant (MMZ), and almost all of the raw materials used by the plant (mostly scrap metal) comes from Ukraine, where most of the plant's products are exported as well. The MMZ accounts for about half of Tiraspol's state budget revenues. MS

www.infoukes.com...

[edit on 27-12-2004 by jazzgul]

[edit on 27-12-2004 by jazzgul]

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
found some analysys considering Kyrpa:

The new Minister of Transport is a charismatic, intelligent, tough, independent and artful person. Rumor has it that when he was still the chief executive of the �Lviv Rail� he adjourned one of the intercom meetings with his subordinates asking them: �Do you know what rules the world?� Hearing no reply, he answered the question himself: �Money and fear. My money and your fear.�

Kyrpa�s methods are often rough. Some say it is the only possible way to do business. Others, including rather powerful businessmen having to deal with the railway in the line of duty, voice their protest. An egocentric rationalist, Kyrpa makes promises as easily as he then reneges on them. It is characteristic of the new Transport Minister to disrespect his promises as long as they disagree with his plans. It is this feature that accounts for the considerable number of overt and covered enemies he has in Parliament. It looks like the President has very serious career prospects in store for Kyrpa. Due to his managerial talent (since it�s more than just skills), independence from any political or economic clans, toughness, rationalism and openly shown loyalty he can prove a serious competitor to Dubyna for the President�s favors. One cannot rule out the possibility that, should Parliament pass a vote of no confidence in the current government, one will find Heorhiy Kyrpa among the contenders for the Prime Minister�s position, together with Oleh Dubyna and Serhiy Tyhypko, the latter being actively supported by Pinchuk. And if the President fails to strengthen his influence in Parliament by placing his man from the bloc �For a United Ukraine!� in the Speaker�s seat, the Cabinet of Ministers will turn into his major stronghold. In this case a mere combination of circumstances will not suffice to appoint the Prime Minister, even an acting one�

www.mirror-weekly.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Sounds like it could have been anybody that killed him if the sources you quoted are correct. But given all the twists and turns who knows. This could be a false flag to discredit Yushenko as well

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
It is definitely strange that it happen the day after elections - somebody might use it against Yushchenko, asyou said FredT

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   
from BBC link above (it is updated):

Mr Kyrpa's spokesman, Eduard Zanyuk, told the AFP news agency he had noticed "absolutely no change" in the politician's behaviour which would support local media speculation that he (Kyrpa) had killed himself.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Intersting the reports are starting to contradict themselves a bit. According to a Kiev police officer, the minister was found still alive but refused to comment on the suicide angle.

A duty officer in Kiev's police headquarters told The Associated Press that Kirpa was found wounded. When asked whether Kirpa had committed suicide, the officer would not comment.

Ukrainian Transport Minister Found Dead

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
from KYIV POST:

Korrespondent.net, a Russian-language news website, reported that Kirpa met with one of Ukraine's elite just hours before his death. The identity of the individual and the purpose of the meeting remain unclear. The site also reported that Kirpa is known to have been alive at 4 p.m.

Ivan Saliy, former deputy transportation minister, said that �irpa's death is most likely related to financial problems within the ministry. According to Korrespondent.net, Saliy added that the ministry had misused funds earmarked for the construction of a new bridge. �

I bet a lot of rumors are going to be connected to this one. I doubt if we ever know the real reason...

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   
My take on this: With the regime change he can no longer do his bribed services for the mobsters, besides he could know too much of who illigaly tranported what to whom, whether that be drugs or missing suitcase nukes.

Wonderfull to see democracy at work....

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
He may have known too much about a lot of things including
the poisoning, smuggling of weaponry and money laundering.

Nothing that creates money escapes the mafia in that country or Russia.

I certainly hope things will improve over time, but I imagine it's
going to be a bumpy ride for a few years.

top topics

join