It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modern Day Job Hunting

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

yeah ok. if you say so.
i can only speak from personal experience.
i have never had a problem.

i have seen places take in 1,000 applications only to hire 10 guys.
i dont apply for those jobs.

whatever. guess you have to figure it out.

you can say it is denial all you want but i dont think so.
i think it is more attitude...like the guy i mentioned.

he wont get out of bed for less than x amount but he bitches about not working.
only himself to blame.
if he got out of bed for less than x he wouldnt be losing his house

maybe your problem is you are going to job centers.
of course there is going to be a gang of people there.
eh
edit on 9-7-2015 by Mugly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

Exactly. Funny, I have heard that exact thing said one time when I was at a ship yard as a consultant. "I don't get out of bed for less than $18/hr." You have to stop the bleeding even if it is less than what you want. So, he could have made $38,400 over the course of two years assuming no overtime, etc. Much better than $0! And probably ran up the plastic, debt and credit worthiness takes a hit too.

edit on 9/7/15 by spirit_horse because: typos

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Being without a job sucks donkey appendages.

When I was unemployed it was hard to stick out above the probably 100's of others that were also sending in their CVs.
Especially when I have no qualifications and dropped out of school at the age of 15.
In the end I put on my 'interview suit' and started dropping off my cv in person.

It worked. The manager saw me leave reception in my suit (it was only a factory job working with frozen carrots) and rang me up as I was sitting in my car in the carpark.
I went back in and he hired me.
He showed me the huge stack of CVs people had sent in and said he chose me because the effort I had put in just to hand in my details.

It was the most depressing job I ever did. Lol

I'm now in the gardening biz.

I wish you the best of luck.

edit on 9/7/2015 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
make no mistake though.
im sure a LOT of those unanswered applications and resumes are due to the fact that it is pretty easy to tell the person submitting it is a total moron.

so many people out there fill them out halfway and they look like #. not legible. no contact info. police records. etc etc.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
With the large corporations in any city, they receive over 300 job applications for one position.

Even worse, is when there are large layoffs. In the UK whenever a large company laid off thousands of workers, "thousands of people would be sending thousands of CV's to thousands of companies".

For tech workers, you don't just send in your resume and hope to get called for an interview. First there will be the "introductory interview" with a recruiter, that's followed by the technical test with Skype/interactive document sharing where you talk someone through how you would solve a problem. If that works out, then you get another telephone interview with the team. If that goes well, they you get invited to a face-to-face interview. Then you might get a job offer.

In the past, I knew one guy who got around this simply by walking door-to-door around to the HR staff of all the local companies asking if they were looking for anyone. The best way now is through social networking, places like LinkedIn (good for contacting recruiters), Meetups.com (good for meeting people with similar interests).

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: mizeryindusk
My Sympathies. I've been out of work just over a year now. I won't work for another Damn Corporation for the rest of my Life. Over 20 years with those Fascists is enough.

I sent out Resumes and never heard even a Thanks for the resume (you did just 15 years ago). In my case it is possibly Age discrimination (59) The don't want experience, they want people who are naive and not wise to their Un-American ways of conducting Banking, er Business. Kids who will work at half of what they should be paid to get their foot in the door and then find out a 2% Raise is not a raise at all while the CEO makes your yearly pay every 3 days.

The last 2 days I've barley gotten out of this chair I get so down and sick of trying.

Not sure what to do. This Country use to be great, it is not anymore.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Perservere -- drives me nuts too. Actually, I stopped apply for big corporate jobs and temp work (which had always been good to me) because of the time involved just to get on a list - you can waste an entire day just filling out forms, taking tests, etc. And on top of it you need to spend a fortune to have a 'professional' resume optimizer (think SEO - search engine optimization so that it will make it through the 'automated' sieve.

A pox on all their houses I say.

I do it the old fashioned way - sort-of - I adverize on Craigs list and have more calls then I'll ever need - and response to others adverts as well. I found some great jobs/clients that way and some very bad ones - but never have all my eggs in one basket - it does get tiresome.

Good Fortune.

edit on 9-7-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-7-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 05:28 AM
link   

As you know full well, looking for a job is a full time job

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mugly
a reply to: cody599

might be a long shot.
major against the law to have a person working off the clock and/or for free but hey, if it works

The only problem with that is the on the job insurance. If the employer agreed to pay in case of an accident or insure the employee for a week I believe that is ok.At least it used to be once upon a time.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I don't know about the insurance side of things per say, we have a public liability insurance that insures us for visitors and guests, would it cover a 'working guest' ? I don't know

I still say it's worth a shot, we don't live in a sue 'em for all they've got got society over here in England yet .................... yet.

Cody

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: cody599
Just explaining why it would not be an issue for a company to hire someone for a week with no pay if both agreed. Yes , that is worth a try. Many years ago , in one of the departments at the factory where I worked , one of the managers noticed a man working he did not recognize. He started asking around. No one knew him. The man had been working hard all night. Come to find out , he had just walked in and started work. They filled the paperwork out for him that night.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I feel you man, honestly.

I'd give you actual numbers from my end, but never publicly.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Initiative

A willingness to work hard

And honesty

A great combination, I was asked today if I knew any people that would work for us. I thought about it and the answer is yes, loads. Then I thought if it was my company how many of them would I employ ? I got down to 3

Not enough people out there willing to graft hard for an honest wage, it's a shame. I work bloody hard, but I reap the rewards, at tea breaks I hear all the people that refuse to work hard complaining about the company and what they are owed for their efforts.

What are they owed ? Sod all, you don't give you don't get.

Their bonus will be maybe a day's work, mine will be 2 weeks minimum, work hard, be special, be yourself.

Failure cannot live with persistence.

Cody

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
i get people asking me all the time if i can hook them up with a job or put a word in.
i almost NEVER do.

while i dont dislike some of these people, i am not going on the dangle for any of them.

so i put a word in and they quit i a week? then the boss wants to know why i mentioned their name?

nope.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join