It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: China Vows to Crush Taiwan Independence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 06:23 AM
link   
A policy paper by the Beijing Government stated that the military would crush any major move towards independence by Taiwan. Taiwanese officials were quick to accuse China of escalating tensions. The paper released on the heels of a anti-secession law that some feels will bind the government to take military action against the island nation.

story.news.yahoo.com
BEIJING/TAIPEI (Reuters) - China's military will crush any major moves toward independence by Taiwan, a Beijing government policy paper said on Monday, prompting the self-governing island to accuse Beijing of escalating tensions.

The defense paper was released as senior Chinese lawmakers discussed a draft anti-secession law that analysts say may legally bind China to take military action if the island it claims as a renegade province declares statehood.

"Should the Taiwan authorities go so far as to make a reckless attempt that constitutes a major incident of 'Taiwan independence', the Chinese people and armed forces will resolutely and thoroughly crush it at any cost," the paper said.

Taipei called on the world community "to stop China before it is too late."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The saber rattling continues unabated by the communist government in China. One has to wonder if you removed the ever present threat of a brutal Chinese action against them how many would want their own country? Despite recent elections, Taiwan grows different everyday and develops their won cultural identity.

Related News Links:
www.taipeitimes.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
POLITICS: Taiwan Protests Proposed Anti-Secession Law By Beijing
Can China Invade Taiwan?

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Taiwanese independance is the way to go.They are already de facto independant and China has not have any realistic claim on them save for saber-rattling.If they were fair about the issue, they would not feel threatened by a Taiwanese referendum on this issue.The belligerent stance on the part of the PRC shows that they just want to subjugate Taiwan.CHINA MUST WAKE UP HER IDEA!!

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I do not understand why China has even waited this long. Should China decide to take Taiwan, it would take less than a day and there would be nothing done about it by the US or UN.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
I do not understand why China has even waited this long. Should China decide to take Taiwan, it would take less than a day and there would be nothing done about it by the US or UN.

You are tragicaly misinformed if you are talking invasion. If you mean burning the island down to bedrock then yes they could do that, but if they invade that is a different story.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Ha! Seriously, do you think even the U.S. would risk military action against a giant such as China if it decided to invade and conquer Taiwan? Doing so the U.S. could kiss cheap manufactured goods goodbye! Of course one could argue that products could be made here in American from then on, but the corporations wouldnt not appreciate that because it would eat into their bottomless profits bigtime. Not to mention people will buy less because prices will go up. Not even the U.N. would risk such a big event over such a little piece of land. Taiwan and the world will continue to have to bear the arrogance of the current government until a modern younger generation takes control of China. I give it another ten years.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Since the acquisition of nukes seems to be the norm these days, how about we ship or sell a few to Taiwan?

Ugh....DYepes,

Ha! Seriously, do you think even the U.S. would risk military action against a giant such as China if it decided to invade and conquer Taiwan?

Umm, the U.S.S.R. ring a bell?
Does the Cuban missile crisis?
Does the U.S. Pacific Fleet standing in their way?
Even if in any remote scenerio, the U.S. opted to stand by while China invaded , then killed a vast amount of Taiwanese, the simple stroke of a pen would hurt China economically, moreso than it would hurt the U.S., being that the U.S. still has an economic value ten-times that of "giant" China. The ramifications of china "invading" Taiwan would be world felt, be assured of this.

seekerof

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
In regards to China, keep in mind that they are in the middle of some major infrastructure projects that are tying up a vast majority of there resources.
They are buying as much steel as can be acquired... driving the cost up, when they are the major buyer...
They are also buying as much concrete as can be provided, for the dam construction at three gorges.
they have billions of dollars and millions of people devoted to these projects...
they really can't afford a war right now...

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
In regards to China, keep in mind that they are in the middle of some major infrastructure projects that are tying up a vast majority of there resources.

I think it goes beyond the allocation of resources for massive projects. The Olympics are another one that they will want to keep. There is no way they will let the communists hold them if they go after Taiwan in that timeframe. Also, lots of targets like the Three Gorges Dam that could be hit in the event of hostilities.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
At one point we did have nukes in Taiwan, and according to this article we came pretty close to using them on China when they attacked Taiwan in 1954 and 1958. But all nukes were withdrawn from Taiwan and redeployed back in 1974. I am amazed at the yo-yo Taiwan has been over the years for US foreign policy. The "One China" policy card that has resurfaced many times over the years seems to happen more when the US has a need for closer Beijing ties.

Nukes in Taiwan

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I would rather such a conflict not take place but if its going to come to it I hope it happens in the extreme near future as we could take china while its still young... Bring it on!

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
TrueAmerican,
Lets not forget Taiwan's own efforts to develop there own devices:
CIA Spy Kept Taiwan From Developing Bomb...
How the US stopped Taiwan's bomb
TAIWAN'S FORMER NUCLEAR BOMB PROGRAM REVEALED

Now, since some seem to believe that 'if' a nation has a nuclear device or capability, in the matter of U.S. dealings, as has been steadily and exceedingly trumped in ATS before, on multiple occassions, "if" Taiwan had such a nuclear capability, would China still be 'shaking and rattling' as they are now, or have been in the past?

seekerof

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
If find this to be an interesting Thesis to say the least. I think you would have all the rhetoric but perhaps not as agressive. A nuclear armed Taiwan would force the Chinese communist government to deal with Taiwan on a whole different level.

Let me ask this: While Chinas sabre rattling has been an on again off again, they seem a bit more serious this time around. I look around after you showed the US Taiwan nuke link to see if there was anything about any ongoing project. I wonder if China has intell pointing to a renewed effort to make a device? This could explain thier really over agressive posturing and sabre rattling?

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
IMHO, I think it is highly-speculative to imagine Taiwan fostering a re-newed nuclear program.
The nature of China's '"seriousness" is attributed to a number of factors:
a) internal political necessity
b) they are taking political advantage of the nature of the current U.S. military's being 'over-extended'.
c) they are taking the 'independence' talks of Taiwan very seriously due to the inherent nature of Taiwan's ever increasing abilities and capabilities to make any "invasion" effort in the near-furture a near insurmountable and catastrophic task. Taiwan is slowly turning itself into an "island fortress".

seekerof

[edit on 27-12-2004 by Seekerof]

top topics

join