It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question About Independence Day.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I have often wondered why Independence Day is celebrated in every U.S. State.

Surely it should only be celebrated in the former 13 British Colonies which actually fought for Independence from Britain.( and maybe Oregon which parts of where once British, and also maybe Florida & Hawaii which also had British rule at some time ).

Can anyone enlighten me?

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Come they just want a excuse to party and set off fireworks let them have there day

Never mind the fact the whole war of independence was pointless as they would have got there independence for free at some point later like Canada

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Without the original revolution, there wouldn't have been any other states.

so the other states get to say, "yay".

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

It was because King George III was taxing us and Americans won't stand for being taxed mo-. . . . . . um, wait, what?

Taxes are patriotic now?

Da, fu. . . ?

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

I think that it is somewhat obvious that the independence of the states you mention, gave rise to the circumstances necessary for the eventual birth of the United States as a cohesive nation of States, and is therefore celebrated by persons all over the nation, in celebration of an event which had important ramifications for the whole of North America, both at the time, and now.

Mind you, I am British myself, so perhaps my understanding of this issue is not as nuanced as might be the case with American members. It's just my take on things.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

It was because King George III was taxing us and Americans won't stand for being taxed mo-. . . . . . um, wait, what?

Taxes are patriotic now?

Da, fu. . . ?

Yeah Pay you taxes like a good bunny to King Obama and Likley King Bush III next

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Look, I've said this before.

if we apologise, would you take us back?

(please!)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
The real question is how can individual states get back OUT of the United States. We would all be better off if we broke up into regional republics.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Taxes are patriotic now?

Da, fu. . . ?

Actually , taxation without representation . Uh , wait , nevermind

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Because the Declaration of Independence was created and signed for the then and all future States that would come in the following 200+ years.

Each state has its very freedoms...due to it's creation. Not just the original 13 colonies...as...they no longer were colonies...but paved the way after become brand new "states" for the future creation of more.

We all celebrate that...even our territories: Puerto Rico, Guam etc. All celebrate.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Look, I've said this before.

if we apologise, would you take us back?

(please!)

Hey South Carolina tried asking before it formed the confederacy and we said no then and we will say no again

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Because the Declaration of Independence was created and signed for the then and all future States that would come in the following 200+ years.

Each state has its very freedoms...due to it's creation. Not just the original 13 colonies...as...they no longer were colonies...but paved the way after become brand new "states" for the future creation of more.

We all celebrate that...even our territories: Puerto Rico, Guam etc. All celebrate.

I checked first to see whether anybody knew the actual truth. Then I found your post .

Of course anything that is 100% accurate and factional is not Starred ! Lol

I took care of that for you thanks .

edit on 4-7-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Taxes are patriotic now?

Da, fu. . . ?

Not quite. They objected to paying taxes without having representation of the colonies in the UK parliament. Hence the calling cry :

No taxation without representation.

If the UK government had allowed some MP's to represent the 13 colonies things would have been completely different.

Independence would have come later anyway like all the countries of the empire. You would probably have a Queen (with zero power as at present) instead of a president !!!

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

True story.

I don't think it would have worked out well though......

British official is greeted by one of us down here:

"Good day sir. I am here on behalf of the British Government to take an inspection of-"

Get's interrupted by a good ol' boy red neck southerner like me:

"Well howdy there boy! How 'bout y'all come on down over yonder? We's got some vittles waitin' for ya, some grits, fried okra and deep fried chicken gizzards along with some of that sweet ice tea (how y'all can drink that crap warm is beyond me!). Later on me an the boys gonna take you possum hunting, thems good eating, yes sir!"

I believe the British official would have drawn his sword and fought his way back to his ship!

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Thank you sir. Happy 4th to you in Kentucky!

MS*
*(former resident of Rockcastle County, London Kentucky...also Corbin and Pikeville areas long ago in the '70's)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad

Taxes are patriotic now?

Da, fu. . . ?

Not quite. They objected to paying taxes without having representation of the colonies in the UK parliament. Hence the calling cry :

No taxation without representation.

If the UK government had allowed some MP's to represent the 13 colonies things would have been completely different.

Independence would have come later anyway like all the countries of the empire. You would probably have a Queen (with zero power as at present) instead of a president !!!

Point well made and taken.

new topics

top topics

join