It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: 1st Israeli Settlement Agrees to Exit Gaza

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 12:18 AM
link   
An Israeli settlement on the boards for moving as part of Prime Minister Ariel Sharon Gaza withdrawal plan has agreed to relocate. This agreement marks the first community to agree to pull out of the area. All in all the plan would require that 21 communities in the Gaza area and 4 in the West Bank be withdrawn. Sharon has had to ask for help from his traditional rival, the Labour party, in order to keep both his coalition government as well as the withdrawal plan alive.

story.news.yahoo.com
PEAT SADEH, Gaza Strip - Residents of a small Jewish settlement said Sunday they've struck a deal to move to a village inside Israel, giving a boost to the government's contentious Gaza pullout plan by becoming the first community to agree to be evacuated.

Peat Sadeh, a tiny, upscale farming village tucked into the southwest corner of Gaza about a mile from the Mediterranean Sea, raised the ire of hard-line settler leaders, who are mounting a campaign against Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's plan to remove all 21 settlements from Gaza and four from a part of the West Bank next year.

Sharon's hard-line coalition government fell apart over his sudden policy shift a year ago, forcing him to try to reconstitute his team with the moderate Labor Party, his traditional rival.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If the hard line elements in Israel could pull their heads out of their rhetoric and really look at the plan, they would see that in the long term its great for Israel. They exert their control over the disputed lands by a great degree in an international recognized plan. They seed some of the more difficult to protect settlements, and consolidate their defensive line. It does not put a stop to the building of the security fence either. I�m actually surprised that the PLA would even agree to this as it is really balanced in favor of Israel. However, we may see an uneasy truce in the region for some time. Lets hope that this is the case.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   
First: Could you please explain why this article is placed under the topic "WAR"?

Originally posted by FredT

This agreement marks the first community to agree to pull out of the area.

That is wrong.

The residents of three settlements in the northern Gaza Strip (Elei Sinai, Dugit and Nissanit) have asked at the beginnig of december the Disengagement Administration to relocate them in their entirety, in order to preserve the nature of the communities.
(for example see haaretz: 08/12/2004: Gaza settlements ask to be moved in their entirety)

Same situation is now in Pa'at Sadeh. They have reached an agreement in principle for a collective move to Moshav Mavki'im, south of Ashkelon, should disengagement go ahead. The settlers will leave their homes voluntarily and move to Mavki'im if and when the pullout is implemented. They will be given agricultural plots similar in size to the ones they leave behind.

In fact, over half the settlers already downloaded and signed the necessary forms, as well as arrange advance payments, from Disengagement Administration website.

Rebekka

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Rebekka,

This article was submitted in the War on Terrorism section of ATSNN. Given the unrest in the region and the general tension and the roots of terrorism there its appropriate. The system automaticaly shortens the title to "War"

Also, if you read the linked article my opening statement, this quote comes from the AP article I sourced. If you have issue with thier report, please take it up with them

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Still, I do not understand what disegangement should have in common with WAR or with terrorism. It makes no sense to submit each-and- everything that includes the word "Israel" under topic WAR..........Of course, I know there are many who would like to see a war between jews.......but I hope there are only a few ones within the big ATS family.

Originally posted by FredT

Also, if you read the linked article my opening statement, this quote comes from the AP article I sourced. If you have issue with thier report, please take it up with them

I read the linked article......and put it simple: I found mistakes within the AP-article and I gave an url to correct information.

Rebekka

[edit on 27-12-2004 by Riwka]

top topics

join