It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian Air Force requires 80 Rafale type aircraft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
The Indian Air Force has informed their government that the 36 Rafale multirole aircraft they are buying will not be enough for their needs. They need a minimum of five squadrons, at 16 aircraft each, for a total of 80 aircraft. The original request was for 126 aircraft, which was "economically unviable".

India currently faces a shortfall of seven squadrons, with 35 total. They have projected a need for at least 42 to stand up against China and Pakistan simultaneously. They have called for the retirement of their of MiG-21 and -27s by 2022 at the latest. They are retiring three sqaudrons worth by the end of the year. They will need 400 aircraft over the next ten years.

Facing a crisis of a dwindling fleet of fighter jets, the Indian Air Force (IAF), has formally told the Ministry of Defence (MoD) that it needs at least 80 Rafale-type multi-role combat fighter jets to be battle-ready in the next few years.
This is the first time the IAF has put a minimum number to its needs since the government, in April this year, announced a decision to buy 36 Rafale fighter jets from France in a “fly-away” condition. Initially, the IAF had projected the need for 126 such fighter jets and a global tender was floated, which is now in cold storage after the decision to buy Rafale was announced.
The Tribune, on June 2, had first reported that the IAF was reportedly uneasy with the number of jets ordered. It had prepared a blueprint for the MoD. Sources said the IAF has conveyed the need for five squadrons and estimated a squadron at 16 jets each, instead of the normal number of 18 jets, as the Rafale with its high-end technology is available to fly at short notice and has a shorter maintenance “turn-around”.

www.tribuneindia.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
This is what happened pre WW1.

Countries were trying to out do each other in the armament race creating one big powder keg, and all it took was the assassination of Franz Ferdinand to to light the fuse.

Things like this make me think a global government wouldn't be so bad?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: muSSang

Google "UN Oil for food"

Global government will never work.

Even relatively similar nations like the EU can't make it work

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz

originally posted by: muSSang

Google "UN Oil for food"

Global government will never work.

Even relatively similar nations like the EU can't make it work

And the structure today is working? A change is needed my friend, the current structure is leading us to Armageddon, Im not saying a global government is THE answer, but it is one of many.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: muSSang

"Ours is the worst form of government, except for all the others"
Winston Churchill

The solution,my friend, is development, which comes with time- the solution is NOT a global superstate, which by definition would be inescapable, e.g. fascist.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Ok, back on topic here, I think it's a tall order to be able to fight China and Pakistan at the same time.
What will be interesting is if India decides to go with some F-35's and see how they mix it up with China and Pak.
edit on 3-7-2015 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

There is talk that they are going to sign the FGFA contract this month. Supposedly they've worked out the number of single seat vs two seat, the engine, and the changes that India wanted to the aircraft. It would be very interesting to see some F-35s flying next to them though.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Can you imagine an air war with T-50's and F-35's vs. J-20's and J-31's?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

That would be a SIGINT nightmare. Everything is LPI.

But it would be a wild one, that's for sure.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman

Ok, back on topic here, I think it's a tall order to be able to fight China and Pakistan at the same time.
What will be interesting is if India decides to go with some F-35's and see how they mix it up with China and Pak.

It would alone which is why India has teamed up with the US and Japan in what the call the trilateral. Which is also why first we had a strengthening of the US Philippine alliance followed by defense agreements between the Philippines and Japan and the India.

The same in Vietnam, Japanese, US and India reps showed up and met with Vietnam's leaders literally back to back. Burma also seems to be on the agenda of the three. If I was China I would not be feeling real good about trying any military action right now.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Correct me if I'm wrong (and since the zillons dollars involved I probably am
), but with the new 'technologicaly linked plane' models, wouldn't it be better for them to go with russian planes, since they already have around 200 Mig 27/29 and 200 Soukhoï Su-30 + 130 ordered?

fr.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Any conspiracy in the Rafale-like tagline - I mean, the MMRCA was closed a while ago and no Rafale have been purchase as far as I know?

Are they considering re-evaluating the decision or just the numbers?

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: LoveSolMoonDeath

Yes and no. For familiarity, absolutely. For reliability, dear god no.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Well, three years in and we are here:
Indian Supreme Court to Hear Case on Rafale Corruption

The Supreme Court has agreed to hear next week a PIL seeking stay on the Rafale fighter jet deal between India with
France.

Anytime I think the West's procurement process could not be worse, India comes to the rescue.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Sounds dodgy, they buy the Rafale over the typhoon then retrofit it with parts the Tiffy comes with!

Are they navalised Rafale or is every Rafale navalised?

Its just plug and play, HMD, Towed Decoy, Radar......that's not even plug and play for a country with pedigree in building aircraft, HAL could stuff up inflating the tyres!

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman

Can you imagine an air war with T-50's and F-35's vs. J-20's and J-31's?

Not gonna happen its more like T-50 & J-20 vs F-35 alone.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

It wouldn't be the Indian flying the T-50. They canned their participation.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   
There's gotta be something someone is slipping into the global politico's drinks for them to be this self damaging...

www.defencetalk.com...

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 09:38 PM
link   
economictimes.indiatimes.com...

Supposedly another 36 Rafale are going to be ordered by Modi's (Howdy Modi!) government.

new topics

top topics

join