It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can You Throw A Pebble In The Water and Not Get A Ripple?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
You Can Not Throw A Pebble In The Water...

For every action there is a reaction. The laws of physics demand it. You can not throw a pebble in the water and not expect ripples. The larger the pebble the bigger the ripple, the bigger the water source the longer the ripples last.

Even skipping the pebble across the water causes ripples and eventually the pebble stops and sinks or hits something and crashes violently.

If you throw 2 pebbles at the same time they cause 2 different sets of ripples that collide and cause the other ripples to be altered. Still, those ripples continue and create a reaction that is difficult to predict or stop once they start.

Throw one large pebble and one small pebble and see which one has the bigger ripple, doesn't the small one still interfere with the bigger one? Does the smaller one get over powered by the bigger ripples?

Pebbles come in all shapes and sizes and they ripple just the same. Once they are thrown in the water, they must continue to ripple until they stop rippling. The problem we have is we do not stop throwing the pebbles.

If you throw one pebble, I have to throw one too. If you throw a big pebble, I have to throw a bigger one. If your pebble causes my ripples to be altered then I have to alter your ripple. Where does it end?

It doesn't. Cause and effect. For every action there is an equal if not greater reaction. Not to long ago, I wrote a thread laying out the possibility that we may be AI and that maybe what we think of is "free will" is actually programmable responses and the responses were interesting.

I threw out a pebble with ripples and others threw out pebbles with ripples. I suggested a possibility and some took it as a definitive statement. The reactions became defensive in nature, creating a ripple effect that caused an equal if not a greater reaction.

This is true for any subject. It really does not matter what the content is, a reaction is going to occur. The question remains, are we programmed to respond? Do we have the ability to ignore those responses that conflict with our own programming? Can we articulate what we think with cautionary responses or must we react with equal and incendiary overt often larger and more forceful responses?

It seems that sometimes we think if we scream it loud enough it will inflict a willful change...when in fact it creates another reason for those that oppose us to dig their heels in and respond equally with derogatory and inflammable retorts.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

Ripple me this batman, who is the water?
Thinking Bruce Lee had something to say about that.

I personally like getting reprogrammed.
I can live from your angle if I choose. It's fun.

I don't like control freaks.

Oh, and a ripple from the center is more powerful than a bunch of ripples that start at the edges..

edit on 3-7-2015 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Reverbs

Ripple me this batman, who is the water?
Thinking Bruce Lee had something to say about that.

I personally like getting reprogrammed.
I can live from your angle if I choose. It's fun.

I don't like control freaks.

Oh, and a ripple from the center is more powerful than a bunch of ripples that start at the edges..

Maybe, the water is a blank canvas. Maybe, the dispersal of energy from the center gets pushed outwardly creating larger ripples that increase the energy from the original. So, maybe the power increases and the further it goes the more powerful it becomes.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree

Maybe, the water is a blank canvas. Maybe, the dispersal of energy from the center gets pushed outwardly creating larger ripples that increase the energy from the original. So, maybe the power increases and the further it goes the more powerful it becomes.

The ripples yes.. But they are not powerful themselves, as they are already set in motion.. Like an expanding universe accelerating, but it's not choosing it's direction.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Between 32°F and 212°F you are correct . Above or below the premise is incorrect .

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Where is your proof of such? Perhaps it is all in the perception? Maybe we just are not capable of seeing them at certain frequencies?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

Maybe, Perception plays a part in subjective behavior. Maybe the problem is thinking what we see is truth and what we have been taught is truth, when in fact so much is open for interpretation that suggesting any one particular pebble has any specific power that can be quantified is the problem itself.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Maybe, Perception plays a part in subjective behavior. Maybe the problem is thinking what we see is truth and what we have been taught is truth, when in fact so much is open for interpretation that suggesting any one particular pebble has any specific power that can be quantified is the problem itself.

Then why does your signature express differences in strength of connections.. "Some stronger than others!!"
It's not all equal. It implies what I already said. Anyway..

And talking to me about truth would be a waste of time, because I don't know..

My avatar and my name ring any bells?
edit on 3-7-2015 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

The equal and opposite reaction of throwing a pebble on the block of ice would be deflection I suppose . But I'll give you I'm not sure what it would be called if you threw a pebble through a cloud of steam? I don't think it would be ripples though ?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Throw a stone into the rain !
I don't see a ripple !
Or isn't rain water ?
Just saying .

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Denoli

Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they are not there.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

You mean like Santa ?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Even throwing a pebble on ice creates a reaction, the ripple effect is perceptible if you allow for them to be there, steam is vaporized water and throwing a pebble there would still allow for a ripple. Perception is subjective, even with the laws of physics.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Reverbs

Then why does your signature express differences in strength of connections.. "Some stronger than others!!"
It's not all equal. It implies what I already said. Anyway..

And talking to me about truth would be a waste of time, because I don't know..

My avatar and my name ring any bells?

How does my signature change the expression of the OP? We are all connected and we all do have different vibratory frequencies and these pebbles I speak of are just the same.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Denoli

You mean like Santa ?

Believing in fairy tales is one such cause and effect of a different pebble creating a ripple effect throughout society. The commercialization of one holiday has created a monetary construct dependent upon the belief of such.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
You can't know a ripple in water. Rather, you must realize that it's you who's done the rippling, as the water doesn't really exist.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Even throwing a pebble on ice creates a reaction, the ripple effect is perceptible if you allow for them to be there,

Vibration and ripples are not the same. Besides with your explanation "equal and opposite reactions" on opposing forces would not qualify if both objects reacted would it?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Vibrations are ripples of a different frequency.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
That is a good question, the pebble and ripple parable reminds me of some quote or teaching of buddhist philosophy.

The question remains, are we programmed to respond? Do we have the ability to ignore those responses that conflict with our own programming? Can we articulate what we think with cautionary responses or must we react with equal and incendiary overt often larger and more forceful responses?

I think we are programmed to respond in certain ways, mostly by our parents, upbringing, and cultural background.
It's not a bad thing per se, but of course if all one is taught as a kid is to respond to bullying, violence, or any criticism with equal or more violence than that is not going to make a very stable and happy adult.
Likewise if one is programmed to react fearfully and to avoid all problems or conflict.
I can only speak of personal experience, but yeah I think we do have the ability to override the programming.
Meditation and other inward pursuits have taught me that there is indeed something hidden beneath the ripples in the water. Something far more powerful and comforting than reaction.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown
You can't know a ripple in water. Rather, you must realize that it's you who's done the rippling, as the water doesn't really exist.

Speaking in absolutes does not make what you say the truth, only your perception of said ripples and lack of water is subjective based on your own perception. Maybe the water does exist and maybe the ripples do occur from the throwing of a pebble.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join