It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radioactive Waste ............

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
cant really think of a word, so much as a phrase ... 'Sweep it under the carpet' ...

la de da de da

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: gspat

There's also the graphite cores, concrete, pipework, rubber gloves, overalls, etc. etc. I suppose you could make the rubber gloves into slingshots and fire off lumps of contaminated concrete.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I think the word you are looking for is depositary. I have thought about a way to remove high level wast. What about fashioning a large dart and firing it towards the sun with a large rail gun?

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Something else. Like depopulation.www.abovetopsecret.com...
After I started that thread they suddenly dropped the cast iron boxes and now they're using concrete boxes, saving the taxpayers £200 million. www.gazetteseries.co.uk...

If they dropped the cast iron boxes because I pointed out they're ready made dirty bombs I want a cut of the £200 million. Though maybe it's owed to ATS since they own everything we write here. Chase it up, mods.

I'm beginning to think the Dounreay shaft was also a deliberate ready made dirty bomb. www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's like we've been set a complex series of puzzles that we have to solve, or die.
edit on 28 6 2015 by Kester because: spacing

edit on 28 6 2015 by Kester because: that's better

edit on 28 6 2015 by Kester because: remove excess

edit on 28 6 2015 by Kester because: paragraphs

edit on 28 6 2015 by Kester because: change word

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kester
a reply to: gspat

There's also the graphite cores, concrete, pipework, rubber gloves, overalls, etc. etc. I suppose you could make the rubber gloves into slingshots and fire off lumps of contaminated concrete.

What if we take all the rubber gloves, and form them into one massive slingshot, the likes of which has never been seen before, and use that to launch the rest of it into space? Then there'd be no risk of a rocket exploding, and when all is said and done, all that would be left to deal with is the giant, radioactive slingshot.

edit on 6/28/2015 by admirethedistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

It's a thought. But I've got enough trouble with the neighbours without angering the Sun God.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: admirethedistance

Good plan. 'One day lad, this giant radioactive slingshot will be yours'.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Seems like my in my attempt to make a joke some people took it too heavy , ofcourse it is way too dangerous to launch radioactive waste with our current launch capabilities.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheGreazel
Seems like my in my attempt to make a joke some people took it too heavy , ofcourse it is way too dangerous to launch radioactive waste with our current launch capabilities.

*cough*giantslingshot*cough*

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Thank you. I try.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The U.S. Department of Energy has referred to the repositories as Nuclear Waste Isolation Plants.

edit on 6/28/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheGreazel
Shoot it into space , non ignorant word relating to it : gone

Better yet , shoot it into the sun.100% used.No danger

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I could see this Idea work in the far future , with the right technology you could set the waste on a collision course with the sun , it is after all a proper incinerator.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TheGreazel

The theory sounds good but the enormous quantities of waste are problematical. Near here there are almost a thousand tons of waste in the active waste vaults at one small site. Some of it is the fins scraped off the fuel rods before they were sent to Sellafield. Fragments of fuel rods were sometime scraped of with the fins. There is also a quantity of undocumented waste from the laboratories. All this is dangerous enough to earn a place in the eventual dump. On top of that there are huge quantities of concrete, graphite etc. citeseerx.ist.psu.edu... The graphite weighs around 4,000 tons. There are something like 230,000 tons of radioactive graphite worldwide. The graphite cores near here are so dangerous they won't be touched until 2075. In the Dounreay shaft there's 1,500 tons of mixed and largely undocumented waste. As this video shows even the supposed low level waste has unknown quantities of higher level waste randomly mixed in.

The sheer quantities of lethal waste are mind boggling. You're going to need a bigger rocket.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

I wish they'd just stop messing around with MoX and bring the damn Thorium reactors up to snuff and online.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
Call it mutating fuel stuff. Because it will mutate anything as well as fuel your future atomic nanobots if the PTB ever allow us to make them.

The atoms of those radioactive elements were dispersed in rocks before they were dug up out of the ground, extracted as metal ores and then smelted and refined into solid metal lumps of high radiation. The best thing would seem to be convert the waste back into rock. The closest we have got is to munge the waste up with sand and let the heat metal the lot into solid blocks of glass, which can then be stacked "somewhere".

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I'd go with radioactive waste quarantine or radioactive waste confinement.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Shadoefax

I think I might preface it with intended.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

I skim over many subjects while not studying any of them consistently. That's my excuse for not having heard this term before.

Given the uncertainty I would insert intended in there somewhere.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Bovah2

What happens when the launch vehicle fails or blows up before it leaves our atmosphere?

[…] the small particulates of highly radioactive isotopes would drift with the winds, to wide areas of the globe, becoming random fallout, attached to rain for instance, invisible death, blown on the wind and in water just waiting to be breathed or other wise ingested into the human body...

You mean like Fukushima.

<< 1    3 >>

join