It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqi F-16 down in Arizona

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
An Iraqi pilot flying with the Arizona Air National Guard out of Davis-Monthan AFB crashed last night on a night solo flight. He was flying tge first Iraqi D model F-16, designated RD-01. The pilot was the only person on board and was killed in the crash.

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Ah. They didn't mention the pilot was Iraqi on the Today Show this morning. They made it appear that it was one of our own Guardsmen.

EDIT: It looks like they updated the story from a few hours ago. I guess now they are reporting it as an Iraqi on the Today Show.
edit on 25-6-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Further proof that like "Vietnamization", IIraqization won't work either.

Stupid is as stupid does. --Forrest Gump

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
It states that the trainee was at an advanced stage in his training and the crashed occurred during refueling. I know we don't have much info, but do you think it was issues with refueling that caused the accident or a lack of experience? Possibly both?

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Night operations are extremely dangerous. I've seen experienced pilots with thousands of hours have accidents at night because they got disoriented and failed to listen to their instrumentation.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

edit on 6/25/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

What's the difference between the American and Iraqi versions of the plane?

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: EA006

What's the difference between the American and Iraqi versions of the plane?

Export fighters have less capable and older electronic systems of the navigation, target acquisition, tracking, weapons, elint, and navigation, etc variety.

Our current E/F models are about a generation ahead of the export C/D models.

edit on 25-6-2015 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: EA006

They're Block 52 aircraft, but the Iraqi government stepped them down somewhat from other 52s. They have less advanced avionics, and a significantly lower PGM capability than other Block 52s.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Not always. The UAE Block 60/62 Desert Falcons are the most advanced F-16s anywhere, including compared to the US.

The US doesn't use E/F Vipers. They still use C/D Block 50/52s.
edit on 6/25/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

I see.
Thanks Zaph, Navydoc.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Not always. The UAE Block 60/62 Desert Falcons are the most advanced F-16s anywhere, including compared to the US.

The US doesn't use E/F Vipers. They still use C/D Block 50/52s.

Fair enough, not always.

The Izzies took their F-16s without much by the way of navigation packages because, they really don't have to worry about long range navigation and they used the space for other things.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

A lot of them are ordered to fit local conditions. They carry locally built systems and weapons. Israel is big about that. There was a big flap over their F-35 order because they want IAI EW and fire control systems installed, which would require full access to the source code.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

A lot of them are ordered to fit local conditions. They carry locally built systems and weapons. Israel is big about that. There was a big flap over their F-35 order because they want IAI EW and fire control systems installed, which would require full access to the source code.

Which would make one uncomfortable.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

The initial answer from LM was something along the lines of "Oh HELL no". They haven't forgotten the LAVI.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

The initial answer from LM was something along the lines of "Oh HELL no". They haven't forgotten the LAVI.

No kidding. I'd think that was exactly the first thing that crossed their mind.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

It didn't help that they basically demanded their first aircraft before the US would have IOC for their aircraft.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
It's being reported that the pilot MAY have been an Iraqi general.

The US told Iraq it would take 18-24 months in the US to train their first instructor pilots, but Iraq announced the first aircraft would be in country in July.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I think I heard him, or one of his squadron... which doesn't mean anything, really. F-16's are pretty distinctive and not common at DMAFB. Just one of those morbid moments when mortality is a few degrees away.

Sad.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

That happened to me when I was younger. We had a helicopter in for Phase, and I hopped on to take a look while it was in the hanger (it was about to be signed off as complete). Less than a week later it crashed onto the deck of a ship trying to rescue a crew member, killing all seven flight crew members.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join