It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting Snippet About The American Civil War.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
With what has been happening across The Pond in the last week or so, i have carried out a small amount of research on The American Civil War ( a subject i know very little about )

It would appear that many of the populace of The South actually fought for The North. However what i have found is that every State in the South raised at least one full battalion of military to fight for The North. With one exception, South Carolina.

Many southern soldiers remained loyal when their states seceded; 40% of Virginian officers in the United States military, for example, stayed with the Union.[3] During the war, many Southern Unionists went North and joined the Union armies. Others joined when Union armies entered their hometowns in Tennessee, Virginia, Arkansas, Louisiana and elsewhere. Over 100,000 Southern Unionists served in the Union Army during the Civil War, and every Southern state, except South Carolina, raised at least a battalion

en.wikipedia.org...

I wonder why South Carolina was different from the rest ?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
That is interesting, I'm from SC and I didn't know that. Good find...

t reply to: alldaylong

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Charleston was also home to Secession Balls (no pun intended) in 2010.

They're an odd bunch.

ETA - no offense, princess. GRITS are just dandy in my book. But SC has some weird bits to it

edit on 24-6-2015 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
*shrug*

South Carolina also elected Tim Scott (R) from the Ft. Sumter district, and he later went on to win election as the state's junior senator.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Believe me I have my moments of white guilt...mostly from being from there lol. I do not live in the deep south these days oh gawd no. TOO DANGEROUS for a gal like me, even with lax CCW laws.

a reply to: Shamrock6

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TrappedPrincess

That explains you being Ronin.

Everybody knows there's no Ronin in SC

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Maybe because they were the ones to fire the first shots to start the war at Fort Sumter? Maybe the attitudes of we started it, we better finish it. Pride? Just my humble guess

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: onehuman
Maybe because they were the ones to fire the first shots to start the war at Fort Sumter? Maybe the attitudes of we started it, we better finish it. Pride? Just my humble guess

You may want to investigate that supposed fact of shooting at Ft Sumter in light of the fact that the Union was violating an armistice agreement not to fortify the fort with fresh men and weapons. Prior to the war.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
It just means they weren't able to raise at least a batallion I guess. Maybe they had a low population of military ready men?

new topics

top topics

join