It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Niagara Recalls 14 Bottled Water Brands From Same Source for E. Coli Risk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Niagara Bottling LLC has recalled all spring water products produced at its two Pennsylvania facilities between June 10-18, 2015, after being informed that the water source was potentially compromised by E. coli bacteria.

Niagara Recalls 14 Bottled Water Brands From Same Source for E. Coli Risk

The company says tests on its finished products didn’t detect contamination. It says no injuries or issues have been reported. Federal regulators declined comment. Niagara’s water is marketed under more than a dozen brand names.

Here’s a list of the affected brands:

• Acadia
• Best Yet
• Nature’s Place
• Shaws
• Acme
• 7-11
• Pricerite
• Shoprite
• Big Y
• Niagara
• Superchill
• Western Beef Blue
• Morning Fresh
• Wegman’s

To check if your product is affected, Niagara tells customers to check the code on the products: The only affected products have codes that begin with the letter F (indicating its Hamburg facility, although it’s unclear why that code isn’t H) or A (for Allentown), where the products were produced. You can find a complete list of codes on the Niagara site. www.niagarawater.com...

edit on 22-6-2015 by wasaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

Do those companies use the same tap water?

I worked in a spring water plant and I can say with confidence that if the label can state where the aquifer is and can show trace elements on the label, you have nothing to worry about.

If the bottles don't show either, you can bet it's tap water and I'd hazard a guess that these brands use tapwater-the true spring waters are scrutinized thoroughly and no bottle is shipped without meeting industry standards.

But when you are a conglomerate, who needs standards? Take my advice; No Aquifer location, No buy.

edit on 22-6-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-6-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Despite the situation, I always find it interesting when this happens as it kind of outs companies who are all buying from the same source and rebranding like its a different product.

Let's just hope no one gets hurt.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

ACME? The name alone is enough.

Wile E. Coyote

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I grew up 20 miles from Niagara Falls , when I hear Niagara I think pollution not pure water. Wouldn't touch it myself but I know how polluted this area is...

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

Do those companies use the same tap water?
Certainly a great deal of bottled water is filtered tap water, but I don't think they can refer to it like this if it's tap water, from the OP story:

Niagara stated that the bacteria were found on June 10, noting, “As the spring source did not notify us in a timely manner, we have discontinued the use of this source.”
"Spring source" would be so misleading as to be illegal if they were referring to tap water which could hardly be called a "spring source".

However without reading the story or checking labels, I can't say I ever expected brands like

• 7-11
• Pricerite
• Shoprite

to be anything other than filtered tap water.

My tap water has so much chlorine it probably kills any such contamination, and if you allow the water to sit for a while before using it, the chlorine evaporates faster than the water. Chlorine does have some risks but it's used because those risks are thought to be lower than the risks from E.Coli etc if it's not used.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up.

Some of those brand names are just terrible.
'Best Yet' sounds like it was collected from a gutter, I would expect an 'Acme' water bottle to explode in my face, 'Superchill' sounds like something from a bad sitcom that didn't want to get sued for using a real product, I don't know what 'Western Beef Blue' is, but I'm pretty sure it's not something I want to be drinking, and 'Morning Fresh' sounds like a feminine hygeine product.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: admirethedistance
Thanks for the heads up.

Some of those brand names are just terrible.
'Best Yet' sounds like it was collected from a gutter, I would expect an 'Acme' water bottle to explode in my face, 'Superchill' sounds like something from a bad sitcom that didn't want to get sued for using a real product, I don't know what 'Western Beef Blue' is, but I'm pretty sure it's not something I want to be drinking, and 'Morning Fresh' sounds like a feminine hygeine product.

"Best Yet" is not a name that is only limited to the water. It is a store-brand name used for a multitude of products in regional grocery stores (think "generic", but with a brand name).

My local store has "Best Yet" brand versions of almost every product ("Best Yet" Ketchup sold alongside Heinz, "Best Yet" sugar sold alongside Domino sugar, "Best Yet" corn flakes sold alongside Kellogs Corn Flakes, "Best Yet" laundry detergent sold alongside Tide, etc).

new topics

top topics

join