It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if a global disaster strikes? How radioactive will we become?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 05:00 AM
link   
So I'm a little concerned ever since Fukushima happened.

What if a huge Tsunami happens, like just say, Canary island slipping into the ocean, 1000-3000 feet Tsunami. There are a butt load of Nuclear reactors around the world, many near the coast.

Ok, Lets just say for arguments sake that 100 nuclear reactors (about the same amount that is on this reactor map of the USA reactor map ) have been swept away world wide by this 1000-3000 foot tsunami.

How radioactive is the planet going to become. What challenges would that pose for life, or more specifically, human life around the world, globally?

Will we all die? Will we be able to fish and not have huge health concerns, or even swim in the ocean? Will we all die of radioactivity, etc?

What happens if there is a global pandemic that is so devastating that we cant properly dispose of our nuclear material sitting in cooling pools, etc.?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: DaRAGE

I think the first question is what would create a 1000-3000 foot tsunami

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

That's an easy one:Meteorite,Canary Isles going for a swim,Methane Hydrate de-stabilisation,tectonic plate shift,rogue star hurtling past......will that do?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Ericthedoubter

And all these are likely scenarios are they?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Not only likely but unavoidable.The question is:When?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Did you even read my post? Canary islands has a mountain that if given a few more inches of angle and a good shake could easily slide right into the ocean and give us all a very big Tsunami to watch on TV (apart from those Hawaiians who will of course be killed by the resulting Mega Tsunami.

But what about the radioactivity... Anyone have any idea of an answer for that?

Just say 100 nuclear reactors get swamped out and their cooling pools smashed up and all the radioactive material gets loose... Are we essentially, ***F***()***()***K***3***D?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   

A very big tsunami is 50 foot..

Gonna take something mighty big to get over 1000..

ETA: I guess you're talking about megatsunamis, yes they can get over 1000 feet, the theory that it can happen at the Canary Islands is pretty strongly disputed though..

blogs.agu.org...

edit on 22/6/15 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Don't be concerned. If its global, it wont matter to what degree we receive the dose....small or huge, direct or fallout on the lands, foods in the fields, cars and down our chimneys. So many things if we make it will change...and its horribly global...we wouldn't want to live in a world like that anyway.

Even IF you've got some magic solution to get rid of all nuclear weaponry....there is still a HUGE amount of horribly destructive weapons and germ warfare that it wont matter.

We'll all be goners for the most part...and those who survive...will be sorry they did....

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   

How radioactive will we become ?

On a dark country lane, motorists won't need their headlamps on to see you.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: DaRAGE
Canary islands has a mountain that if given a few more inches of angle and a good shake could easily slide right into the ocean and give us all a very big Tsunami to watch on TV (apart from those Hawaiians who will of course be killed by the resulting Mega Tsunami.

Eh? Hawaii is in the Pacific. I'd say the East coast of the US would have far more to worry about than Hawaii if the Canary Isles have a major landslip.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   

So I'm a little concerned ever since Fukushima happened.

What if a huge Tsunami happens, like just say, Canary island slipping into the ocean, 1000-3000 feet Tsunami. There are a butt load of Nuclear reactors around the world, many near the coast.

Ok, Lets just say for arguments sake that 100 nuclear reactors (about the same amount that is on this reactor map of the USA reactor map ) have been swept away world wide by this 1000-3000 foot tsunami.

How radioactive is the planet going to become. What challenges would that pose for life, or more specifically, human life around the world, globally?

Will we all die? Will we be able to fish and not have huge health concerns, or even swim in the ocean? Will we all die of radioactivity, etc?

What happens if there is a global pandemic that is so devastating that we cant properly dispose of our nuclear material sitting in cooling pools, etc.?

by this 1000-3000 foot tsunami.
by this 1000-3000 foot tsunami.

With that size tsunami , I dont think many people would worry about radiation.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Did you even read my post? Canary islands has a mountain that if given a few more inches of angle and a good shake could easily slide right into the ocean and give us all a very big Tsunami to watch on TV (apart from those Hawaiians who will of course be killed by the resulting Mega Tsunami.

But what about the radioactivity... Anyone have any idea of an answer for that?

Just say 100 nuclear reactors get swamped out and their cooling pools smashed up and all the radioactive material gets loose... Are we essentially, ***F***()***()***K***3***D?

not quite canary isles are off the west cost of Africa and when not if it go's its the Caribbean and the eastern seaboard that will be in trouble not sure about the estmates of the size of the tsunami but it will be large and distructive and the east coast of the US is a sitting duck as far as tsunami defence is concerned.

dammit quoted wrong post!!

edit on 22/6/15 by ShayneJUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   

OH FFS. Ok Here's thehypothetical situation.. A 1 kilometer squared asteroid from space blazes through the earths atmosphere and lands right on top of your silly little head and crushes you, sends off a mega tsunami or something that destroys 100 nuke reactors...

How is life for the rest of us?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   
How do I report Chadwickus for being a god damn internet troll?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   
How do I report Chadwickus for being a god damn internet troll?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
You know what. Most of you asshats who have replied don't even answer the damn question. Most of you just god damn troll. Is this really what this web site has become? A bunch of trollers? honestly there are a few people who will answer questions properly and honestly. To the rest of you, what's the point?

If you have nothing to say then say nothing!

If you are pointing out errors in a "hypothetical question" but then not answering the actual Hypothetical question... Then you are a troll. Stop posting this crap.

I'm asking a question about radiation levels... Would we be screwed if something like that happened? I don't care about the specifics of the disaster. To those that survived, would we have to deal with extremely dangerous levels of radiation, globally?

It's a serious question. I don't care about whether the "disaster" makes legitimate sense. Bloody Trolls.
edit on 22-6-2015 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   

The asteroid itself would most likely do irreparable damage to the planet.

And how about growing up?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
A repeat of the Carrington Event would possibly be enough to cause meltdown of a large number nuclear reactors. It would all depend on how quickly we would be able to recover and get vehicles available to ship diesel fuel to emergency generators at the power plants.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   

You know what. Most of you asshats who have replied don't even answer the damn question. Most of you just god damn troll. Is this really what this web site has become? A bunch of trollers? honestly there are a few people who will answer questions properly and honestly. To the rest of you, what's the point?

If you have nothing to say then say nothing!

If you are pointing out errors in a "hypothetical question" but then not answering the actual Hypothetical question... Then you are a troll. Stop posting this crap.

I'm asking a question about radiation levels... Would we be screwed if something like that happened? I don't care about the specifics of the disaster. To those that survived, would we have to deal with extremely dangerous levels of radiation, globally?

It's a serious question. I don't care about whether the "disaster" makes legitimate sense. Bloody Trolls.

Well......you're living up to your name.
Honestly, if something like that happens - destruction on a global scale - it won't matter how much radiation is released. With weather patterns disrupted, ash clouds covering the Sun and world wide crop failures, we'll starve or die of dehydration first. With hundreds of millions of dead bodies on the land and in the water, disease will be be a major factor also. Unless you live fairly close to a nuclear reactor, I'd worry about the other things first.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

A decent Tsunami hitting Britain would be a disaster for us, pretty much all our nuclear power stations are at the coast.
I just keep my fingers crossed it doesn't happen in my lifetime.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join