It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Confederate flag should be taken down and burned.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Depends on your opinion. If you think the flag should be taken down because it was solely about slavery . No one would argue with you about that .

But if you look at the true history of the civil war and realize it was mainly over citizens rights. You would join people in agreement that it is a symbol that needs to remain .

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

You whole post is suspect. And even that feeble quoted article piece is not current for today.

The rich history surrounding the USE of the confederate flag can also be interpreted this way

Confederate soldiers believed they were fighting, above all, to defend their states, their country, and their homes from invasion and to preserve the individual and constitutional liberty that Americans won in 1776

An object is only an object, that is all it can be. IT how its used so some people use it as a freedom symbol, some a racist symbol etc. Just like the swastika was originally taken from a sign of peace.

edit on 20-6-2015 by projectbane because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
I'm going to keep saying it until anybody listens. Everything that is being complained about now is not original it all has its place in history if you choose to look for it .

True...and the swastika has been in use since ancient times. It was co-opted by evil, and become representational of that evil. I see a parallel here. And yes...when Lincoln first freed the slaves, it was only those over which he had no authority. Slavery remained in the North for some time afterwards.

Nobody can deny that the Civil War was about much more than just slavery...but the Stars and Bars became a symbol of that institution, and it's best-before date was reached a long time ago.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

It's also a symbol of betrayal to the United States. A war didn't need to be fought over States Rights and let's not pretend that the rhetoric used by the Secessionists wasn't all about slavery and "how can they say the negro is equal to the white man?"

Cmon...
edit on 6/20/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
What will burning the Confederate flag accomplish?

Seriously. What effective and constructive mode of social engagement does this activity facilitate?

Does it alleviate white guilt to destroy a symbol?

Does it relieve black frustration to destroy a symbol?

All I see is more hate.

Why don't you go buy a poor guy a cheeseburger or something with that money you spent on a Confederate flag likely made in China (near-slave labor--oh, the irony) and kerosene?

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   

It has nothing to do with slavery it mainly has to do with federal oversight of people .

Actually the war did have to do with slavery. Read the Confederate Constitution it directly talks about slavery. There are some differences from the American Constitution but the "old it was about states rights" is pretty much bull when they pretty much adopt the same Constitution.
Confederate States Constitution

Article I Section 9(1) The importation of negroes of the African race from any foreign country, other than the slaveholding States or Territories of the United States of America, is hereby forbidden; and Congress is required to pass such laws as shall effectually prevent the same.

Article I Section 9(2) Congress shall also have power to prohibit the introduction of slaves from any State not a member of, or Territory not belonging to, this Confederacy.

Article IV Section 3(3) The Confederate States may acquire new territory; and Congress shall have power to legislate and provide governments for the inhabitants of all territory belonging to the Confederate States, lying without the limits of the several states; and may permit them, at such times, and in such manner as it may by law provide, to form states to be admitted into the Confederacy. In all such territory, the institution of negro slavery as it now exists in the Confederate States, shall be recognized and protected by Congress, and by the territorial government: and the inhabitants of the several Confederate States and Territories, shall have the right to take to such territory any slaves lawfully held by them in any of the states or territories of the Confederate states.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   
If the government tries to force that, you will see the Confederate flag flying everywhere all the time.

Then what? Is the Federal government going to make THAT illegal?

When government tries to shove something down our throats, there is usually a backlash, or worse a slow steady seething like a kettle about to boil over.

link   
a reply to: NthOther

What does leaving it up accomplish?

link   
The United States won a war against Great Britain to become a free nation. When they won I am quite sure that the first order of business was to take down the English flag. So when the north beat the south why wasn't that the same order of business? Non of us were around for that war but the fact of the matter is.... The north won... Maybe I'm just simple but I don't get it.
edit on 20-6-2015 by Maddog5595 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   
An oxymoron of workers rights....

Made in China

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: Greathouse
I'm going to keep saying it until anybody listens. Everything that is being complained about now is not original it all has its place in history if you choose to look for it .

True...and the swastika has been in use since ancient times. It was co-opted by evil, and become representational of that evil. I see a parallel here. And yes...when Lincoln first freed the slaves, it was only those over which he had no authority. Slavery remained in the North for some time afterwards.

Nobody can deny that the Civil War was about much more than just slavery...but the Stars and Bars became a symbol of that institution, and it's best-before date was reached a long time ago.

You brought up an interesting fact thank you . The Emancipation Proclamation only covered slaves in the south . It amazes me sometimes how posters that never believe history or the story written by the victors. Tend to side with either source if it agrees with their opinion.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
A flag doesn't cause racism same way guns don't shoot people. Those looking for excuses will always find them because human beings are too comfortable with hate.... if the other guy's guilty/bad then I'm not, so I NEED to hate him. It alleviates our own guilt. Think about it next time you feel the urge to hate or really dislike someone, really dig deep and try to figure out the motivation. Don't mean to be preachy, just asking people to reconsider why the world seems so full of hate.

Stepping off soapbox and going to use the soap for laundry now....

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I'm pretending nothing I'm only trying to give you actual facts as opposed to the written history of the victors .

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   

I don't think anyone believes the bs fluff story of the north either. Black people were treated horribly by the Union.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

It has nothing to do with slavery it mainly has to do with federal oversight of people .

Actually the war did have to do with slavery. Read the Confederate Constitution it directly talks about slavery. There are some differences from the American Constitution but the "old it was about states rights" is pretty much bull when they pretty much adopt the same Constitution.
Confederate States Constitution

Article I Section 9(1) The importation of negroes of the African race from any foreign country, other than the slaveholding States or Territories of the United States of America, is hereby forbidden; and Congress is required to pass such laws as shall effectually prevent the same.

Article I Section 9(2) Congress shall also have power to prohibit the introduction of slaves from any State not a member of, or Territory not belonging to, this Confederacy.

Article IV Section 3(3) The Confederate States may acquire new territory; and Congress shall have power to legislate and provide governments for the inhabitants of all territory belonging to the Confederate States, lying without the limits of the several states; and may permit them, at such times, and in such manner as it may by law provide, to form states to be admitted into the Confederacy. In all such territory, the institution of negro slavery as it now exists in the Confederate States, shall be recognized and protected by Congress, and by the territorial government: and the inhabitants of the several Confederate States and Territories, shall have the right to take to such territory any slaves lawfully held by them in any of the states or territories of the Confederate states.

Again yes it did have something to do with slavery. But it was not predominately about slavery . I never imagined you as one of the posters that would side with the elite and their positions .

link   
Banning or burning a flag isn't going to make the intent behind the flag disappear.

If it stands for racism for some people, then removing the symbol will not remove the feeling. Believe me, I wish it were as simple as taking a symbol away, but that won't take the stain from people's hearts.

It might let them know it is "not acceptable" in the greater society, that part is true, but it might also more deeply imbed the sentiment in people who resent being shamed, and make them even more militant so they can "take back their heritage." America allows people to wave their dark sides around under the first amendment. If we start burning symbols, who's is next? If there is back-lash (which there would be), and symbol burning is allowed, well, that could be a very scary time, indeed.

Racism and all the other evils of the world can only be changed from within. The outer symbols of our lives will follow.

peace,
AB

+1 more 
link   
Hillarious. The left cult wants to burn and ban the confederate flag, the right cult wants to burn and ban the gay flag. And they are soooooo much different than each other. I could go on, but those that matter get the point.

link   
In my (a non-US citizen) personal humble opinion, it's just disrespectful by any US citizen to fly the Confederate flag, for whatever reason, and not the "Stars and Stripes".
Oh, so you don't like this or any government?
Well, the flag ("Stars and Stripes") isn't a symbol of the government, but of the country, in which you live and, I guess, you "love".....
So by flying the Confederate flag, you're taking a p**s at the flag and the country.

Well, that was my 2 cents on that subject.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
Hillarious. The left cult wants to burn and ban the confederate flag, the right cult wants to burn and ban the gay flag. And they are soooooo much different than each other. I could go on, but those that matter get the point.

Yeah one side wants to burn a flag that is a rallying symbol for racists the other wants to ban a flag that stands for the equal treatment of people of different sexual orientations.

They're so much alike!

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I'm as white as drywall and even A little bit hetefull at times ( especially against Michael Moore ). In the eyes of ANYONE that's not as white as I am the flag means one thing at this point. Call it what you will (and please flame away). I've never been there but I am fairly certain that they don't still fly the swastika in Germany?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join