It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dounreay Shaft, UK Nuclear

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I deliberately make my YouTube videos crummy because the last thing I want is to be taken seriously. I strongly suspect that's why this video is substandard. Headphone users should beware of the explosion at 2:17

Ten seconds into this video you'll hear the claim that the shaft was excavated in solid rock. It cost £16 million to drill and pump grout into the fissures in this 'solid' rock to slow the inflow of water. The project was begun in 2006 and took two years. Without the £16 million barrier the cost of treating the contaminated water was estimated at £200 million.

The 1977 explosion caused a white plume of smoke seen by an eyewitness blowing out to sea. www.newscientist.com... The video representation shows a brown cloud that rapidly disappears. There is clearly no attempt at accuracy in this video.

There are many varied stories about what's in the shaft. One report by the UKAEA concluded 170kg of highly enriched uranium was unaccounted for with at least 22kg put in the shaft. It's the worlds deepest nuclear clean-up job. www.dounreay.com...

Ross Hesketh used to push wheelbarrows of plutonium fuel experiment left-overs across the site and tip it down the shaft. www.theguardian.com... Later he warned repeatedly about the dangers presented by a 65 metre deep shaft filled with largely undocumented and highly dangerous waste so close to the eroding seashore.

The Dounreay Shaft.
One day lad, all this will be yours.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
This video explains the drilling and grouting operation.

join