It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why are some college students so dumb?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

So bottom line - a college's most wanted student is one that is dumb and rich?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17

originally posted by: croatianguy
From watching the Jaywalkin segment from the Tonite Show with Leno, I noticed he would often ask college students questions like,"who won the civil war?" and "is the sun a star or planet" and "which is closer to earth - mars or the moon". They had no idea of the answer. My question is - how the hell did they get in college in first place??

No child left behind.

Ding Ding Antipathy! The Prize for perseverance at a hopeless
cause is hopelessness. It's all to bad we've graded our young in
the last three generations "on the curve"... because the national
average for normal now is 23rd on the list of developed countries.
Telling me over and over one of the most most dangerous non-
governmental agencies ever launched is the National Education Ass.
And one of the US's greatest enemies was Marcus Wolff, the former
main man at the Stasi that rewrote the guidelines. Commie Core indeed...

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I had a college class once with a girl who thought Europe was a country.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

And was that a representation of your whole class or that one girl?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: croatianguy

Doesn't make me angry at all.

People are dumb, I bet there has been plenty of times you answered a question wrong that you never thought you would.
That segment was most likely designed to get people to answer it wrong, video tape it and then post it for kicks.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   

You do realize they edit those shows, right? They could've asked 300 people 10 questions each, and only showed the responses that were wrong or "funny". That's called selective editing. You should always assume video clips are selectively edited, because unless you're allowed to see all of the unedited footage, it will be selectively edited.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

It wasnt just one segment, there has been quite a few jaywalkin segments with college students over the years. How can it be designed for people to get it wrong? I dont understand what you mean. Jay Leno was asking the questions clear and precise. Of course if a college student that is studying History answers the question - "who won the civil war?" with the answer "um.......the Americans?". I mean hell, isnt that funny? Of course you gonna show it.
Anyway, my irk isnt that people are dumb, but that these people that go to college are. So what is your argument, Sremmos80? That Jaywalkin is scripted and there are no dumb college students?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Yes, I agree 100% that is was selective editing..but so what? Doesnt prove anything. If 10 people out of 300 answered wrongly, thats still 10 getting it wrong and going to college. Heck, even the thought of one person going to college who thinks the earth is flat is pretty disturbing.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Yes, I agree 100% that is was selective editing..but so what? Doesnt prove anything. If 10 people out of 300 answered wrongly, thats still 10 getting it wrong and going to college. Heck, even the thought of one person going to college who thinks the earth is flat is pretty disturbing.

LOL Are you thinking this through? You don't really think every single person in college is going to answer every single question correctly, do you?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Of course I do if its answering questions from first grade elementary level!!
So you are okay with the thought of someone going to college thinking the earth is flat? Thats totally acceptable to you?
edit on 17-6-2015 by croatianguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Have you seen the basic information that even politicians get wrong? And most of them actually graduated from college. One of our former Vice Presidents, Dan Quayle, couldn't even spell potato correctly.

Being admitted into college has nothing to do with want you apparently think it does. I graduated from college & still don't remember the names of every state capital in the US. And we learned that in elementary school.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Im talking about basic fundamental core concepts that once you know you dont forget. Trying to remember your state capitals or spelling certain words, you can lapse sometimes fair enough. But learning of the concept that the earth is round or that the sun is a star when in elementary, you are not going to ever forget are you?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   

You got the point I was making. Like I said, there's no telling how many times it took to get these selectively edited answers. And just because the people missed those specific questions, that doesn't mean they're stupid. There's a thing we call "brainfarts", where you forget something you normally know. Add in any nervousness or excitement they may have felt from the moment & it's not surprising some would mess up.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Then I guess they would really mess up at exam time if they cant handle simple questions from Leno.

But gettting back to my original point - you dont agree that their are people in college who shouldnt be there?
edit on 17-6-2015 by croatianguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 02:42 AM
link   
It's been encouraged for sometime now that ALL students should go to college. Most of it's a money making scheme more so to be exposed in the coming college bubble. Of course, that includes those who would normally not fit the mold of a traditional college student from being intellectual, to book smart or otherwise even caring to learn. Gotta keep up with the Jonse's kids send them off to college where many will flunk from partying then end up coming home the first or second semester.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Then I guess they would really mess up at exam time if they cant handle simple questions from Leno.

But gettting back to my original point - you dont agree that their are people in college who shouldnt be there?

Nah, seeing a celebrity or knowing you'll be on tv can make anyone nervous. Some people can't handle that kind of pressure (or being onstage or talking to crowds, etc).

And it's hard to determine if someone should be in college or not without seeing their grades & qualifications. If they did well on their ACT or SAT, then why shouldn't they? Then there are community colleges which offer 1 or 2 year programs that are specialized in specific fields, like auto repair, music technology, real estate, nursing, etc.

Also, aren't you assuming those people actually passed their classes in the subjects mentioned in the OP? If they didn't know the info in 5th grade, why would they know it now? I'm just pointing this out because college isn't a mythical place. It's just 1 step above high school. And I'm sure there are high school students who wouldn't know these things, even if they weren't under the pressure of being on a tv show.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 03:04 AM
link   

They appeared pretty relaxed talking in front of Leno. And he gives them enough time to answer, and even repeats the question sometimes. Just Youtube some of Jaywalkin, you will see what I mean.

In Australia, these people would never get in our lower end universities as they would need to sit a 3 hour general admission exam that covers basics in everything.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 03:07 AM
link   
We just don't have standardized schools yet, yes it's true. At the public level most schools have incredible differences. Rural and inner city schools suffer the most. The faculty just plain sucks. My kids went to a rural R III school in Missouri. had about 100 kids from 1st Grade to 12th. Our textbooks were Five full additions behind a neighboring system that was R I. Sadly it effects the kids then most.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   

How can it be designed for people to get it wrong?

It would have to do with where and when they are asked, how they are asked, what they are doing while they are asked ect.
I am saying that if your goal is to get someone to answer a simple question wrong, there are plenty of ways of going about it.
Especially putting them on the spot, people get nervous, some more then others.

So what is your argument, Sremmos80? That Jaywalkin is scripted and there are no dumb college students?

Nope, not at all.

Would you say you have never answered a simple question wrong?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

No excuse, Sremmos80. I dont care how nervous or agitated you are. If a person going to college cant answer a simple question a smart 6 year old can answer under any circumstances, then he doesnt deserve to be going to an A Grade college. Like other posters have said on here - it was all about the money getting them through - nothing more.

I cant recall if I have answered a simple question wrong, but I aint going to college so I can be excused.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join