It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A New Earth?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Lets just say;

- You understood what and how religion works.
- You understood the history behind religion
- You understood humanity and instincts
- You understood what and how a society is buílt
- You understood how a human mind works
- You understood politics and its meaning
- You understood entertainment TV and sports

- Lets just say you understand the very basics the western modern society is built upon, and the rest of the world follows.

Let just ask;

Does the basics of theology still apply in this modern era, the very foundation our dogmatic society is built upon and does the philosophy still apply of a modern day technocracy.

When you look how most societies are built you see that the empathy lacks, cause of the abundant religious basics in most western societies. Most follow a symbol of some sort and never go on a quest for finding true knowledge and follow blindly. The protect what is a priviliege based on the corpses of less fortunate and calls it.. Natures way.

I wish humans could follow a simple path of life to achieve something i would call human, instead of animals in a society.

What do you guys think?

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: temudjin

People will always want answers, some want the answers but lack the capacity to look for themselves. Religion has a purpose, even though I don't agree with the idea of organized religion, I think that it's useful for some. I believe that it would manifest itself where ever life becomes self aware, IMHO.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Years ago I would have fought you tooth and nail but the truth is religion as I have come to know it is not truly about following god/gods, but rather a form of control. To ask such a question is to ask if there could exist a earth where nobody wants control over another, which is no as someone always wants to control another's life. A better question to ask is if earthlings followed Christ's teaching of love and acceptance for everyone, would we be what we are today? Also no. Good topic!

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Empathy does not rely on religion.

Morale does not need religion.

Who gave you these ideas that religion is the only source for a moral behaviour? Was it a priest who told you that? Please think about this.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: temudjin
Does the basics of theology still apply in this modern era

Define this because to my knowledge there is no consensus. Religions are approached differently in different cultures.

For example, today, Christianity is more secular and philosophical in Europe, and more religious in the US.

so what is "the basics of theology" you talk about?

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: JUhrman

Yet more secular but yet we follow the same principals and call it by different names, would the foundation of religious beliefs let thousands die in the Mediterranean or would it be different? The Christianity in the US fills a purpose yet the meaning of it is anything but religious

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Where do you find in nature morals and ethics? Morals and ethics is/are created by religious belief, morale needs fear or a human will act as an animal, empathy is created by a human who can relate to someone else's pain. You think an animal who is searching for food and the meaning of survival relies on empathy to survive. Religion gave the western world an unifying empire called colonialism and a technocracy which has never been seen before.

You as a German have the same principals of a hierarchy which is rooted in your society in the same way Catholicism works in the US, the morals they teach is called Marxism, applies in the same fashion as religion just in a modern tone.

Religion lays the foundation of the basics of how a society operates not humans and their free will.

I'm a Swede, meaning our God is earth.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: honested3

It is about control in society. To evolve we need to understand

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Temudjin

Yet more secular but yet we follow the same principals and call it by different names, would the foundation of religious beliefs let thousands die in the Mediterranean or would it be different? The Christianity in the US fills a purpose yet the meaning of it is anything but religious

Thanks but you did not really answer my question? You asked us this:

Could you please define the basics of theology you have in mind here?

Thanks

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   

In a simple form what society do you want?
edit on 16-6-2015 by Temudjin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Temudjin

In a simple form what society do you want?

A democratic society with laws promoting ethical and moral behaviors.

But this is not limited to religions. Ethical behavior evolved from social behaviors, even among animals. As soon as you have a group of animals you do also have a culture/social rules defining what is accepted/expected as far as social dynamics are concerned.

We called that "morals and ethics" but it is also part of our instinct. In the animal kingdom you also have the same rules as "do not kill a member of your group" and things like that. They might not understand why it's important but they still do it.

The difference with humans is that humans have the same moral/ethical rules but they try to fit them in their own cultural contexts (spirituality/religion/philosophy).

Religions are absolutely not the origin of moral rules. Religions only try to give an explanation for them, just like philosophy and spirituality.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Im no idealist so im gonna be frank.

Democracy if true, makes a man vote for his self interests. If false its just a show..

Lets take your standpoint: We are animals, what we rely on is/are instincts, the basis of your instincts is the survival instinct, everything you do after that is based on that instinct. Socities which are based on ethical rules are very small in number in fact its your own offspring everything outside of that is to see after your groups survival.
The Lawbooks which is in every society is based on the principals of the ten commandments.. Ask any man, what do you protect, and he says my family. He will not care if its a choice between him and his neighbour.

Look into my country; Sweden: Its one of the harshest, coldest and probably evil places in the world if you cant adjust. Our culture and tradition is based on a loooooooong history, do we defend our borders? Do we care what happens outside of Sweden? Are we religious? Do we war? Do we think democracy exist? All of this questions are no, we play along, we always do.

We base our principals in a society you provide or you die, that includes making babies. If you cant even accomplish that, the society will kill you off. Even in the old days if you couldnt provide as a elder you jumped of a cliff so you wouldnt burden the society of a small group.

"Religion is society," it lays the pathway how a society works. Humans do not, free will do not, democracy do not.
The meaning of philosophy is making a standpoint of something bad and make it neutral.
God exist in your mind, but a human are sh*t.

You think in a 4 year term, just like populism in politics works. Swedes think in a 400 year term, that includes religion and excludes politics and humans. Our oligarchs are our religion, thats why they ruled for almost three centuries.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: temudjin

I have no idea what you are trying to say and I still don't understand what you mean by this:

You and I both say moral and ethics rules are relative to the cultural context. So I don't get why you keep talking about religion here?

The Lawbooks which is in every society is based on the principals of the ten commandments..

This is not true. The ten commandments are based on the Golden Rule which predates everything.

Lawbooks are based on the Golden Rule. The ten commandments are a local a cultural (Jewish) version of it.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

A golden rule? Which golden rule? There are over six billion people who are religious? The same rules/commandments predated the jewish, like zoroastrianism all the way to the first primitive civilizations in India/Pakistan, difference is their philosophy of pagan gods. The meaning of a dogmatic theology is that we place the knowledge into one bowl or one institution, Otherwise its pragmatic temple worshipping on the basis of survival, the best season of harvesting, the tides, best season for fishing, gathering, hunting or to the simple facts, best seasons for offspring to survive. All civilizations are based on the same ordeals, the egyptian pharoah are based on the seasons equinoxes, and it predates the Jewish, but same religious rule abide cause its a civilization.

The religious views you dont think you have are placed on the state, your beliefs, you pay tax and you vote. There is no difference even though you think otherwise. The differnce is you arent living in a way as nature intended it to. So you defend something that was given to you as a gift, not provided by you nor your family.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Temudjin

I'm following the paths of Kant (Categorical Imperativ): "Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law."

To say it simple: Do onto others like you would like to be treated by them. (Sadomasochism exluded, I guess..)

See? No religion needed. Morale does not have to be based on fear, morale can come from an intellectual process.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: temudjin

A golden rule? Which golden rule?

lmgtfy.com...

The religious views you dont think you have are placed on the state, your beliefs, you pay tax and you vote

Let's agree to disagree. I believe you personally have no real experience of religions since you understand them so bad and see them through caricatures.

I'm not religious and I disagree that modern societies are based on religious views. Religions are quite a modern invention actually. Societies(and laws) are much older.
edit on 16-6-2015 by JUhrman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Yes morals comes from a intellectual process, do you think the human race is smart?

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Difference is that you see to religion on stereotypes and stigmatic paradigm, name the first society and the first law? You cannot without naming any religion can you?

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

You sent me a link to google cause of your own ideals of how you think humans are? Welcome to the real world idealist

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

These are philosophers it's a utopia, Descartes named it best, a human thought.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join