It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Martha Stewart Calls For Sentencing Reform

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
On her website, marthatalks.com, Martha Stewart has called for sentencing reform for first time offenders and drug users in the wake of her legal team's recent conviction appeal. Martha joked about how bad the food is in prison and disclosed that her prison job is cleaning. Although she'd "rather be cleaning her own house".

www.washingtonpost.com
Martha Stewart lobbied, in a Christmas message posted on her Web site yesterday, for criminal sentencing reform and complained about the "bad food" at the West Virginia prison where she is serving a five-month sentence for lying about a personal stock sale.

"When one is incarcerated with 1,200 other inmates, it is hard to be selfish at Christmas," Stewart wrote from the federal prison in Alderson, W. Va. "I beseech you all to think about these women -- to encourage the American people to ask for reforms, both in sentencing guidelines, in length of incarceration for nonviolent first-time offenders, and for those involved in drug-taking. They would be much better served in a true rehabilitation center than in prison."

Stewart wrote that she has had a lot of time on her hands, "time to think, time to write, time to exercise, time to not eat the bad food, and time to walk and contemplate the future."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Even though I find it kind of hypocritical of a first time offender to call for sentencing reform after their first offense and she probably wouldn't care a bit about the sentences people receive if she hadn't been caught and convicted - I agree with her.

Our prison population is too large. Too many people go to jail for crimes that don't hurt anyone but themselves. In 2002 there were over 135 thousand people in prison due to marijuana alone. That number most likely has only increased since then.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 06:23 AM
link   
It used to be that Martha was on the outside and looking in. Now it is the reverse. I wonder if she has "made friends' yet? One thing is for certain; she is getting an education in GENRIC HOMEMAKING 101.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   
You really think she has learned anything? NOPE... She now has a new show in the making, I am sure she will get a cushy book deal out of it, and she is not in a realy prison! She compared it to her college dorm! She has learned nothing and has actually gained millions worth of advertising because of this. Wow, a whole five months for stealing money and screwing others out of money. hmmm... We cover it alot here... www.ignorancedenied.com... ...

I think she got away with everything and just a slap on the wrist. If even that.....

new topics

join