It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fraternal Order of Police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Hello to you all. I just had breakfast with my father. He is an arson detective. Today he gave my sister and I an FOP card. It is not the first time he gave me one of those, but this was the first time i took notice of the card. I noticed, that there was a lodge name and number. Also, within the emblem was what looked like a hand to arm handshake and an eye.

I was wondering why the heck do policemen need lodges for? Anybody here a member of the FOP or have a relative who is and would like to share?

Thanks.

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Hmmm... Now where have I seen those symbols before... *scratches head*

Do they have degrees? It seems that they most certainly would have some kind of ritual, and from the symbols there I would say it probably borrows alot from Freemasonry.

[edit on 12/27/04 by The Axeman]

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman

Do they have degrees? It seems that they most certainly would have some kind of ritual, and from the symbols there I would say it probably borrows alot from Freemasonry.

[edit on 12/27/04 by The Axeman]

Axeman, et al

They don't have degrees, but have a very nicely done initiatory ritual (with passwords, grip, etc.) It (like most fraternal societies) is modeled after Freemasonry.

Regards,

-John (a ritual collector)

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   

They don't have degrees, but have a very nicely done initiatory ritual (with passwords, grip, etc.) It (like most fraternal societies) is modeled after Freemasonry.

I talked to my dad last night and asked him if he learned any hand shakes or if there was an initiation ritual and he denied this. He told me that the FOP was a workers union for cops.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Well, OK, but if you look at their crest there you can clearly see several Masonic symbols, so, bearing that in mind, what Senrak says is probably true. Not to say that your dad is lying.

Was there a time when there was no ritual or grips I wonder? Maybe your dad joined before the ritual and grips were introduced. I mean what Senrak said makes perfect sense, especially when you take the symbols there into consideration.

And as far as it being a worker's union, well, the name is the Fraternal Order of Police. This says to me that it is indeed a fraternal order as opposed to a labor union. I will concede that it is for cops, though.

[edit on 12/31/04 by The Axeman]

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedPhoenixDelta

I talked to my dad last night and asked him if he learned any hand shakes or if there was an initiation ritual and he denied this. He told me that the FOP was a workers union for cops.

Perhaps it's not used everywhere...or perhaps they've stopped using them in recent years. Many of you know I'm a collector of fraternal ritual books and one of them that I have before me right now is entitled:

Rituals of the Fraternal Order of Police

Organized March 14, 1915

Conduct of Meetings
Acceptance and Initiation of New Members
Installation of Officers
Burial

Rituals Revised: 28th National Conference
Indianapolis, Indiana
August 10-15, 1947

Part of the "Opening Ceremony" is as follows:

President-Guards, secure the doors.

Inner Guard-The Doors are secured, Worthy President

etc.

Part of the Initiation is as follows:

President-Brother Conductor, you will retire to the ante-room to ascertain if there are any applicants in waiting.

...etc.

It includes an "Obligation" swearing to obey the rules of the group, etc. and later says:

Worthy President, by order of the Vice-President, I present this applicant for instructions in the secret work.

Hmmm! It appears that they DO have a ritual, doesn't it.

Regards.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I'll have to ask him again. And if he tells me no again then that probably confirms that i shouldnt give any credibility to what he says.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedPhoenixDelta
I'll have to ask him again. And if he tells me no again then that probably confirms that i shouldnt give any credibility to what he says.

Well, I don't know if I'd go that far but . . .

like I said, maybe they don't use it any more. It IS a few years old. There are several groups that aren't as "ritualistic" as they used to be.

Regards,

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Its just a union, there are no "meetings" that I know of, because neither my father or grandfather attend them. I have been inside a lodge though, and all I saw was a police gift shop, which I think is their main source of revenue. Also, I think that it is related to a police "credit union" my dad can withdraw cash from, like a bank account.

[edit on 31-12-2004 by invader_chris]

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by invader_chris
Its just a union, there are no "meetings" that I know of, because neither my father or grandfather attend them. I have been inside a lodge though, and all I saw was a police gift shop, which I think is their main source of revenue. Also, I think that it is related to a police "credit union" my dad can withdraw cash from, like a bank account.

[edit on 31-12-2004 by invader_chris]

Since it's considered a "fraternal" society and has a ritual, there likely ARE meetings. Your father and grandfather may not attend them, though.

I'm a member of the Knights of Pythias and I never attend the meetings (I just pay my dues each year) but they still have meetings without me.

Regards

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Handshake,eye and star very similiar to the eastern star (has the line scuts in each arm). Gave my neighbor a "booster" sticker and seemed to save her rear twice now when she was at fault twice hmm maybe should revoke it heh.

top topics

join