It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ATTACKS: Large Explosion in Baghdad Mansour Neighborhood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
A large explosion has been reported in Baghdad near a diplomatic quarter. Varying reports have the source of the explosion as anything from a rocket, to a car bomb, to a fuel tanker explosion. So far 2 Iraqi casualties have been reported.

apnews.myway.com

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) - A car bomb exploded in a west Baghdad neighborhood Friday night, sparking a large fire just hours after U.S. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld left Baghdad, police said. A fireball lit the sky after the blast in capital's the upscale Mansour district.

A police commander said a car bomb exploded in al-Amirate street near al-Ma'moon communications tower and that it had caused casualties.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The explosion follows Defense Sec. Rumsfeld's visit to Iraq. It is unclear if the explosion was timed to coincide with Mr. Rumsfeld's trip.

www.reuters.com
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - A powerful blast in the vicinity of the Jordanian embassy in Baghdad killed at least two people and injured 13 on Sunday, witnesses and hospital officials said.
More casualties were feared from the explosion, which lit the night sky and sent columns of smoke over western Baghdad.

The explosion was possibly caused by a fuel truck, said a neighbor living on a major street in the district, which also houses foreign companies and other embassies.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This attack seems to have targeted foreigners in Baghdad. Once again sending the signal that some in Iraq do not want foreign interferance in Iraq. If the attack was directed at Sec. Rumsfeld, it was a little late, as he had already safely left Iraq.

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com

[edit on 12/24/2004 by phreak_of_nature]

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I guess if their target was Mr. Rumsfeld they were not very successful on their objective.

And I imagine that the security around him most has been very tight.

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
It seems it was a gas tanker, that would make a nice bomb.

BAGHDAD, Iraq - A gas tanker exploded in a west Baghdad neighborhood Friday, just hours after U.S. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld left the capital, police said.

Twelve people were wounded in the blast, said a doctor at Baghdad's Yarmouk hospital. He said most of the casualties had suffered second-degree burns and that several had been sent on to burn centers in other hospitals
Tanker

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
The more I think about this, the more I think it was meant to be a message to Rumsfeld. Granted they didn't get anywhere near him, but it could have sent the message that Iraq is not safe, and even the Secretary of Defense isn't safe in Baghdad.

new topics

top topics

join