It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers stole personnel data and Social Security numbers for every federal employee

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Now, this is definitely not good news.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Hackers stole personnel data and Social Security numbers for every federal employee, a government worker union said Thursday, charging that the cyberattack on U.S. employee data is far worse than the Obama administration has acknowledged.

Hackers stole data on every single Fed employee

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
"What! And more "what?!!!"

J. David Cox, president of the American Federal of Government Employees, said in a letter to OPM director Katherine Archuleta that based on OPM's internal briefings, the hackers stole military records and veterans' status information, address, birth date, job and pay history, health insurance, life insurance, and pension information; age, gender, race data.

Chinese?

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Oh GREAT now some hacker has my information since I am retired military. If it is true that SSN where not encrypted all of the former and current government employees may be in trouble. I can see the hackers selling this info on the black market. This has become quite a nightmare.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
That's why everyone now needs identity protection and strong identity protection.

We got it last year and I am grateful!

I was notified right away when I opened a store credit card to get a discount.

I have also set up notifications for all withdrawals over $200, each and every time either my husband and I take more than $200 out of any and all of our accounts, including credit card charges. Maybe I should consider lowering that!

I think EVERYONE needs to assume
that all their information is public, at all times,
and anyone who wants to access it can and at absolutely any time.

That is the only way to live these days,
acknowledging that you can't even pick your nose
without some stranger knowing it.

If not hackers, then the US government collects everything it can on us
to make sure we aren't all a bunch of terrorists,
because they can't trust any of us,

looks like we can't trust them either to keep data safe.

edit on 3Thu, 11 Jun 2015 15:39:03 -0500pm61106pmk114 by grandmakdw because: addition format

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Jaellma
Meanwhile the NSA is wasting its time and our money trying to frame as many Americans as it can.

edit on 11-6-2015 by ugmold because: typo

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Oh. Another kind of insurance, just what I don't need.

I don't know about the odds for ID theft, but the odds for all other kinds of insurance are in favor of the insurance company. Rolling in dollars? Sure, sign up, but the average American does not need another insurance expense--not with the looming if not already present health insurance increases by YKW.

Is it a legitimate question ask if something is amiss in this wonderful technology that was either not fully understood by the initiators or not fully explained to us when we bought into this nightmare?

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Every federal employee?

They may very well be the only group in the world with Obama's actual birth information and real SS info.

It's only a matter of time before the identity of every US citizen is compromised and the people begin to shout for biometric identification chips.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

So let me get this straight...

The nation with arguably the most pervasive domestic spying policies one could possibly imagine in a nation which actually elects its officials in a democratic process, some how cannot hold on to data?

I mean, Louis Lerner's Emails were not available when they damned well ought to have been, people saying they were lost in a computer crash, and then there was a problem with the server or tape backup, and then there wasn't, and no one is quite sure what the actual end result of all that is just now. The NSA managed to loose the only original, unredacted copies of UFO reports, a thread on the topic of which is to be found somewhere on the site here! And now, it appears that the government which most enjoys stealing people's data, has had its data stolen.

If it were not for the serious and sensitive nature of the data which is missing in this case, I would make a joke right about now, but that would be inappropriate due to the severity of the scenario. This has to be the worst breech of security I have heard of in a very long time, affecting any national government. Someone should be loosing a job over this.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Out sourcing and corporate cronyism and bribing comes home to roost. It used to bother me, now, I just find it funny.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Wasn't me.

link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Someone should be loosing a job over this.

The way it works is that those who didn't do things properly get a promotion and raise. Managers of those people get a big raise.

link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

What a beautifully layered plan "They" must have. TPTB have become so skilled at getting us to beg them for the things they want us to have. I blame the add and marketing firms of the fifties for perfecting the craft for the gov.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Looks like the hackers just netted the largest terrorist cell in the world! Way to go hackers. You just accomplished what the NSA could not.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
Oh GREAT now some hacker has my information since I am retired military. If it is true that SSN where not encrypted all of the former and current government employees may be in trouble. I can see the hackers selling this info on the black market. This has become quite a nightmare.

Mine's a medically discharged vet, but I foresee a lot of credit agency notifications being made anyway, just to be safe. I'm assuming all current & former members of the military are just biding their time before ID theft stuff crops up for them now. Better to be safe than sorry in this case.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

They may very well be the only group in the world with Obama's actual birth information and real SS info.

That's what I was thinking.

Maybe they will pull a Snowden and release it.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

The crying shame is that, at this point, it wouldn't even matter. Snowden released evidence that the feds were absolutely violating the Constitution... the only thing that changed was the NSA publicly said "So what? Go screw!" to the American people and resumed their illegal activities. If someone did produce (further) evidence that Obama's background story is a manufactured illusion, nothing would happen. Such is the life of apathetic America 2015.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
So what does this mean, more junk mail ?

Second

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Don't you see the narrative unfolding, cooked up by TPTB?

Let follow the pathology:

●Agencies exercise mass data collection on its citizens, based on expose` of global/national deceptions, veiled in "national security". In attempt to extinguish said revelations, verify whistle blowers, through virtual profiling.
●Politicians cave to reform on the Patriot/Freedom Act, due to public pressure and epiphany that, this monster cannibalizes its own, too.
●In light of the compromise to the system's integrity, suddenly there's an urgent issue with cyber security. "OMG!! We were hacked!!!!!" Oh and btw, it's YOUR most sensitive material WE just happened to archive.
●Oh since you Americans didn't support our invasive snooping, we're going to make it legal to prosecute you for clearing your search history, and not turning your electronic devices into a robust database, so we can fabricate your incrimination, in case you oppose the status quo.

How more blatant can they be? It begs to wonder why certain powers insist on municipality of the internet and iron curtain-esque policies.

Internet data has ALWAYS been vunerable. Why the sudden urgency? "China" was supposedly involved in corporate espionage since the inception of the PC. Identity thieves been rampant for decades. But now, sychronisticly our highest levels of data infrastructure is comprised.....You think the omitted classified documents were in this cache? Riiiiiiiiight, we should be so fortunate. It's just the data that pertains to you. Fuel to flame more fear mongering. The real form of terrorism.

All this "breach" proves, is that warrantless data collection gave these would-be offenders, a one stop shop for everything they would ever need to compile on a subject. This instill even less trust and legitimacy to their infrastructure.

If your SSI # is comprised...it's the SSI administrations responsiblity, not yours.

If your credit card info is comprised....it's your lender's responsibility, not yours.

If your passwords are compromised...it's the particular encryption system responsible, not yours.

And if government interference via backdoors, solicitation, or lack of integrity lead to the info's vulnerability, they are responsible.

This is a window breaking racket, at its finest.
edit on 11-6-2015 by trifecta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   

People don't seem very interested in these cases...the insurance case 11 million people affected, the IRS, people seem to feel it is funny, then the federal workers the total in a short time is staggering!

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
We could just complain talk about the NSA, Snowden or bad cyber security like they want us to .

Myself I'm going to think outside the box .

That information also poses a extreme security risk. They have the addresses and all personal information on every FBI, ATF, IRS , NSA , FEMA , Border patrol, Customs, etc .

Think of how valuable that information is outside of the financial market. Information like that could expose agents , informants and shut down intelligence networks.
edit on 11-6-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join