It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas police shut down girls' lemonade stand, demand permit

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   
These pigs have unwittingly taught those young girls and invaluable lesson, perhaps the only worthwhile thing they'll ever do for them. They have taught these girls that the government doesn't give a flying f##k about your little Father's Day present, or your trip to "splash world". All the pigs care about is enforcing asinine laws designed to stifle freedom (or, in this case freedom of association). You make a dime, they want a quarter. Learn this lesson now, little ones.....and be ahead of the curve for life! Thank you pigs, you just brought two more to the side where reality has set in and we firmly understand who the clear and present dangers to freedom actually are. (the government never seems to understand blowback)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname

Or they could give away lemonade with a 'suggested donation'.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
They should have put on the stand "10% of profits go to FOP!" and they would have been left alone.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Almost certainly the cops were called for this to happen. If not, then they deserve the backlash.

However, when a cranky citizen (they are everywhere) calls in, the cops can't just ignore the complaint once they arrive. If the law is being broken, they sort of 'have to' enforce it.

Hopefully, the truth comes out and the lifeless person that called it in gets exposed.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Does anyone else think it is ironic this happened in Texas, the country's bastion of conservatism?

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   
You guys are all missing the point. You know whos to blame? You. All you Americans and your lawyers. If there was little chance of any lawsuits i bet they would be allowed to continue.

So, give yourself a collective pat on the back....well done.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

Truth!

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

This not a distinctly "American" problem.

The Legal industry, WORLD-WIDE, is intentionally designed to be obtuse and obsfucating as possible to leave ANYONE who gets in the way painted into a corner. At that point the individual has a "Hobson's Choice" of capitulation. Either way you must bow down.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
When we lived in Chicago, I set up a lemonade stand on the corner of Clark and Summerdale. BUSY area and I made bank. Even the cops stopped for a cup.

This was thirty years ago. Wonder how much I owe the City?

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9
When we lived in Chicago, I set up a lemonade stand on the corner of Clark and Summerdale. BUSY area and I made bank. Even the cops stopped for a cup.

This was thirty years ago. Wonder how much I owe the City?

Considering that you'd owe back taxes over a thirty year period, your entire life savings. Then you can be reliant to the state later on in life.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Feltrick

A little info about Overton: population 2500, 4 stop lights (unless they've added some lately) and maybe 3 cops on duty. Everybody pretty much knows everybody in that town. I've spent way to much time there over the years.H

This guy was a code enforcement officer for the town. Y'all know the one that drives around and gives you a ticket for your grass being to long etc. Never seen one with a gun or a tazer. The city ordinance says no selling in the city limits without a permit and he does his job and enforces the ordinance.

So, no roided out psyco cops with guns drawn kicking over the little girls lemonade stand and yelling for them to get down on the ground.

Just a city official doing his job.

edit on 11-6-2015 by quercusrex because: content

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

You're not wrong...

Overall, this is a tempest in a teapot.

There are a couple of adorable little kids that do this right down the street from my apt. building. Every summer for the past three or four years. 25 cents for a small cup of lemonade/pink lemonade, your choice. It's cold. It's wet. ...and it actually tastes damned good. I buy a cup nearly every day. They know me.

They set up in a church parking lot along the busiest street in town, they have to be making a bit of money... They have fun. I have fun watching them sell the stuff. Calling out to cars and selling their product.

...and mom and/or dad aren't very far away.

I'd be rather upset if someone fussed, and the cops shut 'em down. They've become a summer fixture in this neighborhood.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
And someone want to tell me how our governments, local and national, and our police departments aren't out of control?

Stupid.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Solid proof that the police do NOT "serve and protect".

They enforce the law.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing
The city waived the permit fee but state law requires a health inspection, The stand falls under the same category as a restaurant. Should the burger joint up the street not have to be inspected?

“A code enforcement officer and the chief, she called me to the side and said we needed a permit,” Sandi recalls.

The City agreed to waive the $150 fee for a 'Peddler's Permit," but the health department would prove a bigger problem.

Police Chief Clyde Carter explains, “It is a lemonade stand but they also have a permit that they are required to get.”

Texas House Bill 970, or the Texas Baker's Bill, prohibits the sale of food which requires time or temperature control to prevent spoilage. Since lemonade technically must be refrigerated to prevent the growth of bacteria, by law, the girls can not sell it without an inspection and permit.

KLTV

Sounds like the code officer and police chief were quite polite about it all.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: quercusrex
The city waived the permit fee but state law requires a health inspection, The stand falls under the same category as a restaurant. Should the burger joint up the street not have to be inspected?

“A code enforcement officer and the chief, she called me to the side and said we needed a permit,” Sandi recalls.

The City agreed to waive the $150 fee for a 'Peddler's Permit," but the health department would prove a bigger problem.

Police Chief Clyde Carter explains, “It is a lemonade stand but they also have a permit that they are required to get.”

Texas House Bill 970, or the Texas Baker's Bill, prohibits the sale of food which requires time or temperature control to prevent spoilage. Since lemonade technically must be refrigerated to prevent the growth of bacteria, by law, the girls can not sell it without an inspection and permit.

KLTV

There's a big difference between two kids setting up a home lemonade stand and an actual resteraunt. The code officer and police chief, no matter how polite they acted, were in the wrong.

Last I checked this is The USA not communist China or North Korea. This is Americana ...children have been putting up lemonade stands for decades if not a century.

No real crime commited here.., they.the city thugs, were just looking for a way to make money and turn us into a Stepford like community.

Pathetic.
edit on 11-6-2015 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: quercusrex

KLTV

See my comment about common sense. SMH.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   

I would refer you to the state law again. If someone got listeria from the cool-aid ( Nobody go making any Jim Jones jokes here
) then people would be screaming "Why was there no permit?"

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

See my comment about common sense. SMH.

Since when has "common sense" trumped state law?

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: quercusrex

That's what I figured. Maybe the town council can come up with a .50 cent permit for lemonade stands. A nice "feel good" measure to bring common sense back.

Thanks for the rest of the story.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join