It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Broadcasters Think Certain Sports Have Higher/Lower I.Q. Fans?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
June 8, 2015

Observation:
Right now, I'm watching the NHL Finals. The game is rarely interrupted by commercial breaks.

Yesterday, not 3 minutes went off the clock without a commercial break during the NBA Finals. The timing of the commercial breaks caused team momentum shifts, and the frequency of commercial breaks was insane.

In addition to the two examples above, I've noticed that Golf tournaments have relatively few commercial breaks per hour. On the other hand, NFL football goes to a commercial break as soon as a player appears to lay on the ground too long. The broadcasters don't even attempt to analyze what could have happened to bring the poor guy down.

Question:
Are fans of certain sports given more/less respect, or assumed to have a higher/lower I.Q., than fans of other sports by Television Broadcasters and Advertising Agencies? It certainly seems that way to me. What are forum members thoughts on this?

CareWeMust (Chicago)

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Hockey and especially golf are fringe sports that do not have the following that basketball and football do therefore less advertising value. Hockey players are not marketable as most of them are pretty rough looking guys missing teeth no offense just saying. Golf is not watched by a bunch of young idiots but more established older gentlemen. I don't imagine the golf crowd having master's parties with kegs and junk food galore.

a reply to: carewemust

edit on CDTMon, 08 Jun 2015 22:27:10 -0500pmppAmerica/Chicago08-05:00Mon, 08 Jun 2015 22:27:10 -050027 by TrappedPrincess because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Are fans of certain sports given more/less respect, or assumed to have a higher/lower I.Q., than fans of other sports by Television Broadcasters and Advertising Agencies? It certainly seems that way to me. What are forum members thoughts on this?

IQ has nothing to do with it but rather how much people are getting paid. Look at how much basketball players and football players are getting paid compared to hockey players. When hockey players start getting paid like those other sports then you will start seeing more commercials during games.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Ahh..I see. It's the dollar value attached to the sport that gives it more/less marketing value. Auto racing is plastered with ads on the cars, drivers, around the track. It must be a really big-money sport. Thank-you for the informed replies!

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Stephen Fry, who's pretty damn clever - if not exactly 'Google' as one fellow comic described him here in the UK, is on record as being a fan of darts (among sports in general).

Darts is about as low as you can go in terms of participants (big guys with beer guts, chain smokers before the ban) and fans (lots of flab and tattoos) but hey, our National Treasure is a fan.

So the broadcasters shouldn't make assumptions.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Yes. I think people who watch any type of sport religiously are tards lol...I see people rant and rave how their team just won a game, yet they could care less about a bill that passed the same day screwing their country/rights/freedom. But I would have to say wrestling has the lowest IQ of fans of them all. For some reason they still think it is real.

ID

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ItalianDressing

Holy crap are we not allowed a couple of hours to unwind? are we only capable of thinking of one subject at a time?.
We can care about what the government does to us and follow our fave team.
Is that ok with you?.
Oh and Tards? really?.
Says a lot about you that does.
Pfft.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 03:37 AM
link   

To answer your question though some people obviously think people who follow sports are less intelligent...just look above.
I follow Manchester City FC I do because it was my Great Granddads team my granddads team and my Dads, It has given me many highs and lows and I enjoy it to distress and relax.
I don't think any sport gets more intelligent commentators or fans.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrappedPrincess
Hockey and especially golf are fringe sports that do not have the following that basketball and football do therefore less advertising value. Hockey players are not marketable as most of them are pretty rough looking guys missing teeth no offense just saying. Golf is not watched by a bunch of young idiots but more established older gentlemen. I don't imagine the golf crowd having master's parties with kegs and junk food galore.

Hockey players, rough, missing teeth? Have a look-see

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ItalianDressing

Yes. I think people who watch any type of sport religiously are tards lol...I see people rant and rave how their team just won a game, yet they could care less about a bill that passed the same day screwing their country/rights/freedom.

And exactly how would their lack of diversion impact the passage of anything? We've plainly seen as a nation that the wants of the people don't mean jack squat. If the powermongers and their whores in DC want something passed, it passes. If it wasn't for diversions like sports, we'd be a tragic combination of basket cases and rioters... neither of which is exactly a sustainable lifestyle choice.

But I would have to say wrestling has the lowest IQ of fans of them all. For some reason they still think it is real.

ID

It's still real to me, dammit! (bonus internets to anyone who catches that reference).

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: ItalianDressing

Holy crap are we not allowed a couple of hours to unwind?

The religion of Doom demands that you spend all of your time pondering the magnitude of the mighty Doom while tearing your clothes and flinging fistfulls of dirt upon yourself. Happiness and distraction are the tools of the Evil One, 'S'gonnabe-OK.' His greatest sin, per Religion of Doom dogma, is convincing the world that stuff tends to work itself out for the good eventually... he committed this sin by generating thousands of years of historical evidence that life tends to work itself out, all in preparation for these end times where he will do the mother of all swerves and steal all of our smiles while we're distracted watching the Super Bowl.

top topics

join