It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria - al-Sayyida Maryam Mosque Dedicated

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
In an effort to promote peace and religious tolerance in a war torn part of the world - war torn in large part due to religious strife and extremism - Syrian officials presented a symbol of peace and religious tolerance. The al-Sayyida Maryam Mosque, named after Mary the Mother of Jesus Christ, was dedicated this week. It is said to be the only Mosque in the world dedicated to Mary.

I"m wondering how this will go over with ISIS. Will this symbol of peace be a hot ticket target for them? I'm thinking they'll hate it.

Anyways, kudos to the Syrian officials for the outreach and peaceful intentions.

Vestnik Kavkaza

Yesterday in Syria a unique event for the Arab-Muslim world took place: in the Mediterranean city of Tartous a mosque was opened named after the Virgin Mary – the earthly mother of Jesus Christ, one of the most respected figures and the greatest of all the Christian Saints, the news agency SANA reports.

Mosque Dedicated to the Virgin Mary

The Syrian authorities have opened a mosque in the coastal city of Tartous dedicated to the Virgin Mary, state media said, calling it the only place of worship in the Islamic world bearing the name.

A host of officials were on hand for Saturday’s inauguration of the mosque, whose formal name is “al-Sayyida Maryam,” one of several Arabic names of the Virgin Mary.

The minister of awqaf, or religious charitable endowments, said the mosque’s construction symbolized the openness of Islam, in stark contrast to the “deviation” being seen today thanks to takfiri extremists.

Sputnik News

Muslims in the Syrian city of Tartous have inaugurated a mosque named after the Virgin Mary, the Syrian Arab News Agency has reported. Observers called the opening a symbol of peace and religious tolerance between the country's multiethnic, multi-confessional society.
Speaking at the inauguration, Syrian Minister of Religious Endowments Mohammad Abdul-Sattar al-Sayyed noted that this was the first time in the Muslim world when a mosque has been named after the Virgin Mary, mother of Jesus Christ. He added that the mosque embodies calls for amenity and fraternity between Syrians of all faiths.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   
If we are ever to have peace, we need to see more of this from all three Abrahamic faiths.

Let's just hope Isis don't get wind of this or it will be top of their 'un'islamic' hitlist.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   
If ISIS were to take over the city, I suppose they would destroy the mosque.
I hope that never happens, but I would not be surprised if Syria fell to them.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
People say that not enough is done over there to promote peace.
Well, I brought forward something that is very peaceful in intent.
And it gets no attention ...

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

That is the way of the world, sadly.

People demand more, then ignore the response, unreal sometimes.
S&F

For Butcher & Mark...
I have a high hopes that this is a heavily guarded area... But quietly...
Sort of being used as a trap to lure ISIS into the firing line.

This Temple will no doubt be listed as a target, hopefully the surrounding area defends this symbol of unity to the death.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: FlyersFan

That is the way of the world, sadly.

People demand more, then ignore the response, unreal sometimes.
S&F

For Butcher & Mark...
I have a high hopes that this is a heavily guarded area... But quietly...
Sort of being used as a trap to lure ISIS into the firing line.

This Temple will no doubt be listed as a target, hopefully the surrounding area defends this symbol of unity to the death.

I secretly wonder if there is an ulterior motive too. Isis and radical Islam needs to go away, as does Zionism and fundamental Christianity. The moderates from each faith can be very nice people, but their voices are being drowned out by the loud mouth vocal and far to often violent thugs.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
It is said to be the only Mosque in the world dedicated to Mary.

I've seen a Masjid Maryam in Texas, although googling only brings up one in Georgia. So it can't be the only one in the world dedicated to Mary.

top topics

join