It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star and flag...tracking...?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Thanks for the heads up.

I'll go and buy some shorts

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Ummm...Unless...those errors are there to keep the questions...unasked and the potential questioner mollified...

Not worried...just scratching an itch...

YouSir

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
SO is the guy holding the keys to the ATS database Ferrari. But if i were to guess as a lay person just pondering for fun: there is a record maintained of what you have starred/flagged/subscribed. Because there is a persistence in the information across the forum (i.e., i can't star twice, or once i subscribe the thread is shown in MyATS).

But I would hazard a guess that the query to compile the data would be rather burdensome to run for the server/software.

Especially for stars. There are a TON of stars given out on ATS to keep track of.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Unless one of the sites owners decided to clarify your question I think it is pointless listening to a mod or "supermod" what would they know about the workings of programmed software used by ATS for their reasons and tracking. Mods are basically just "hall monitors" with limited exposure except what the owners wish them to believe. It would be silly not to track everything in my opinion just because it's natural to want to garner each statistic to do with your own website.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectbane

Unless one of the sites owners decided to clarify your question I think it is pointless listening to a mod or "supermod" what would they know about the workings of programmed software used by ATS for their reasons and tracking. Mods are basically just "hall monitors" with limited exposure except what the owners wish them to believe. It would be silly not to track everything in my opinion just because it's natural to want to garner each statistic to do with your own website.

"Jya, know what? Uh uh."

I'm coming up on 11 years doing this. No smoke being blown up our asses. It would be obvious to those that have been here forever. You'd be surprised at how much input the owners take from the staff.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Years back I was on a thread and this question was asked, and SO or Springer (think it was SO) popped in to say that yes it can be done, but it would be a real pain in the butt to do, and they wouldn't -- don't do it, unless there is a compelling reason. I don't think he explained what a compelling reason might be.
edit on 6/9/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

If it were me and my business, a 'compelling reason' would be a court order to do so.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Obviously the database keeps up with flags and stars (although stars got wonked with the transition to ATS 5.3), that's how it "knows" which thread got the most flags, how it "knows" whether a member has or has not starred a post yet, etc... That's how you can filter threads by "most flagged" in the various forums as well.

All that said, we have never run a query to see which threads have been flagged by which members (and I'm not sure the data gets that granular either) or which posts have been starred by which members, nor have we ever even discussed trying to.

There's zero value in that information for us and with one guy doing ALL the coding, site design, etc... there just isn't time for things that are of no value.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
There is a pretty easy answer to any and all worries involved in this discussion. If you are truly afraid that some alphabet agency is meticulously tracking what you flag and star? DON'T FLAG AND STAR. Seems like an easy fix to me and I doubt many people would even notice nor care as most people don't even pay attention to their flag and star counts anyway.

Problem solved.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Which posts and threads members give stars and flags to are private.
If it weren't private, then it would be invasive and people wouldn't do it.
Exposing that would be counter productive to their purpose.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Ummm...Easy there Heff...If you had read my response to zazzafrazz...2nd post from the top this page...I believe I inferred that I wasn't worried and that it was just a passing thought I had...hence the OP...I believe the question has been answered
with...

A. too hard
B. wouldn't do it...not nice
C. could do it if the reason were compelling enough
D. never discussed...zero value
E. private...counter productive
F. condescension

So with all of that...I guess it's as clear as...well...OK maybe not that clear...

S&F...Heff...

YouSir

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Yes OP, everything you do on the internet is being tracked.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Thus far, only this particular poster has said anything that was more than simple supposition and guessing for the sake of discussion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join