It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA Mental Health System

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Been involved with the mental health system for years. Friends and family have been involved as well.

I applaud the mental health pioneers and the people who have conducted research studies as well. They have helped identify and found solutions for many patients over the years either through various drugs, deep psychological therapy, and behavior modifications.

I do now have some constructive critiques for the current mental health professionals. Today too many mental health professionals are not good at their profession. Yes they are schooled and qualified to conduct their business, but they do not truly understand how to contuct psychoanalysis to find out how to help the patient. And they charge outrageous prices. It's too bad the mental health system allow them to operate.

Now to the most important critique I wish to make.
It's now time for the mental health system to move from a reactionary mode to a proactive mode. The medical health professionals have done this by providing us a wealth of valuable information such as the healthy foods we should eat, stop smoking, exercise, etc. I would like to see an organized campaign to start a cause that will provide guidelines for parents to help raise mentally healthy children; move the campaign into our early education schools; and I'm sure there are many other programs we the public could use to help us move towards a more mentally healthy state.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: bucsarg

I have been waiting for the full-on assault on private thought and life and fully expect it to be realized due to the vociferous demands of folks such as yourself.

Please consider carefully what you are advocating, most people will take it as a call to the heteronomous direction of every aspect of life from the cradle to the grave.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
But what if the "are not good at their profession" types get control of the systems?

Who suffers the most then?

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

What you say applies to the UK. Best intentions performed at average levels due to training and systems within the system. Tick sheet diagnosis model, patients not objectively assessed as individuals, too many low level nurses. Those who suffer generally become more of an expert than the experts.

I praise the motivation of the staff but the execution is poor. Sadly the proactive model is too expensive and alternative approaches/untried methods don't fit the shoe.

Just another failing modern system unfortunately.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
As long as there is money to be made by the pharmacological industry, then that is the model that will be promoted....pills....more pills....

Even the mental health facilities are oriented toward big pharma. As is the total health industry in America. Patients are just a means to an end...profit for the insurance companies and providers. That's not going to change, sadly; the health care industry and the policy surrounding it, will continue to be decided by, lobbyists, politicians and bureaucrats, not healthcare professionals.

edit on 4-6-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
The more I look at society, the more I see that everyone is crazy. If you worked in this field for a while, you should be able to see this. It is when the crazy becomes a problem for society that someone steps up to the plate and complains about them. A crazy person complaining about the actions of another crazy person. I think that there is a lot of people in high places in this country that are crazy, but then again everyone is a little crazy so that is a given. It's just that we have crazy people making policies.

I'm not crazy though, I am just nuts. That is why I can see all the crazy people.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I'm not convinced you exhibit an understanding of what needs to change with regards to mental health. Although you claim to work in the field, my guess is that it has been as an orderly or similar support position. Surely you are not a certified psychologist or other mental health professional. You misuse terms and seem to have a superficial viewpoint. I'm sorry to say it, but if, indeed, you are at the forefront of mental health care and represent the current state-of-the-art in the field, then the system is worse off than I thought.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Probably coming to a school district near you in the not too distant future, if it already hasn't started. I've known for years that with the advent of the computer age, social media, big data, etc., that eventually they'd start profiling youngsters and their care givers at minimum the kindergarten level, but more likely even at the pre-school level. This will cause the creation of millions of jobs around the country as schools are encouraged to hire "Social Health Counselors", (called that to avoid using the word "mental").

They will be tasked with interacting with the youngsters, testing them, compiling data, compiling data about their immediate care-givers and even their extended families. With the accumulation of mounds of data, they'll be able to spot children in dysfunctional anti-social environments and to exchange that data with Child Protective Services, the the various Policing agencies and of course the courts.

Its inevitable really. You can't have the power to do this sort of thing and resist the temptation to use it.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I never said I worked in the mental health field. I said I was involved.
a reply to: schuyler

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I fear you are absolutely correct. But I hope that some day the mental health system will change.

a reply to: olaru12

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I seemed to have touch a nerve. Why?
a reply to: schuyler

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I'm advocating that we as a society stop the creation of mental health issues before the child's life becomes dysfunctional.

It would be good that the mental health system would take up the challange to be the driver to help our children lead mentally healthy lives.

a reply to: greencmp

edit on 6 4 2015 by bucsarg because: Spelling correction.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: bucsarg
I'm advocating that we as a society stop the creation of mental health issues before the child's life becomes dysfunctional.

It would be good that the mental health system would take up the challang to be the driver to help our children lead mentally healthy lives.

By system, whether you mean to or not, you mean the state and its authorized representatives.

I don't doubt that you have nothing but the best of intentions and that is why you may be successful.

That is what I find so alarming.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Your reading more into my comments than you should. I never said the state and their official representatives. I stated the mental health system. I mean the social workers, psychologists, and psychiatrists.

Do you leave in a country where the medicine is run by the government.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Your reading more into my comments than you should. I never said the state and their official representatives. I stated the mental health system. I mean the social workers, psychologists, and psychiatrists.

Do you leave in a country where the medicine is run by the government.

Even in the United States of America, those are extensions of the "Health Care System", an amalgamation of various state and private institutions who ultimately do answer to the state.

In a free private world, there would be no mechanism to enforce compliance with the standards you espouse. In that world, you may choose to subject your own children to whatever psychological evaluations and corrective interventions you choose until the child revolts or someone outside of your private environment challenges the legality of your experiments.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
When our USA Medical health system decided to go proactive they nor our government instituted any kind of intrusive program.

Recent studies are showing excellent results especially in the field of cardiology. This is a result of proactive programs to improve the publics health.

Where is your fear coming from?

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

When our USA Medical health system decided to go proactive they nor our government instituted any kind of intrusive program.

Recent studies are showing excellent results especially in the field of cardiology. This is a result of proactive programs to improve the publics health.

Where is your fear coming from?

Eugenics.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Eugenics someday will be as common as breast in plants, beauty reconstruction, etc. It will happen whether you or I agree or disagree regarding Eugenics.

It falls under the category of survival of the fittest. The wealthy will buy into Eugenics.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I think you are confusing genetic engineering with eugenics.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
No sir. Controlled breeding by individuals not Governments will take place. The wealthy will ensure they stay above and in control of human species. And genetic engineering will take place as well. This will happen in the future. It was normal years ago as well as is happening today is controlled marriages. Whether it be for wealth purposes or some other reason. Controlled breeding to ensure good traits as well as too ensure bad genetic traits are breed out. Future generations will not have an issue with this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join