It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am now a proud Grandpup

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
My 19 month old female Patterdale Terrier had 4 female pups last night and I am a proud Granpup!! Our male Patterdale is the sire. He is from the American line she is from the Scottish line, both PureBred. Mom and Dad are both black, as are 3 of the puppies. One is a surprising medium Brown color, which is a known but uncommon color for this breed.

We understand their tails need docked. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight
My 19 month old female Patterdale Terrier had 4 female pups last night and I am a proud Granpup!! Our male Patterdale is the sire. He is from the American line she is from the Scottish line, both PureBred. Mom and Dad are both black, as are 3 of the puppies. One is a surprising medium Brown color, which is a known but uncommon color for this breed.

We understand their tails need docked. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Congratulations. The brown might be a recessive gene. As for the tails docking, I would talk to the vet, he would know more as to when it needs to be done and how. My dog's tail is docked and she's a mix and I think they messed her's up. Everyone keeps telling me it's too short.

Her name is Callie and she's part Chihuahua, part Parson Jack Russell, and part Mini-Pinscher.
edit on 5/26/2015 by Anyafaj because: Added name and breed

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

Why do they have to get their tails docked?

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Congratulations.
Why dock their tails? I'm just curious.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Pics or it didn't happen!

Just kidding.....Congratulations! I have had pets all my life and currently have 3 cats and a dog.

The only babies I have ever raised were hamsters, and that didn't work out so well. Mom must have been hungry

Pics would be cool though, pups are always a positive mood change

Enjoy the babies.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

No need to dock their tails, and that can actually cause problems.

The tail is set high but not carried over the back. If docked, only one-quarter to one-third should be removed, as sometimes the tail is the only means of pulling the dog out of a burrow. The tail should be strong but not overly thick. There is no preference between docked or natural.

www.dogbreedinfo.com...

We definitely need pictures!
edit on 5/26/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Pictures!

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

There is no medical reason to dock a dogs tail, this is a cruel and unnessasary , the reason dogs tail were dock ed was if the were a working dog used to catch animals that live in burrows, I suppose you might dock them if you want to make money selling dogs but people should realize the trauma the poor little dogs go through. But congrats on your cute puppies anyway.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Pics as soon as I learn how the Heck to eembed, pinkyswear!
edit on 1432685971Tuesday31Tue, 26 May 2015 19:19:31 -0500pmTuesday1970731 by Ultralight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Cloudbuster

No for sale! We are gifting 3 and keeping one. Gotta go to only loving homes.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

No need to dock their tails, and that can actually cause problems.

The tail is set high but not carried over the back. If docked, only one-quarter to one-third should be removed, as sometimes the tail is the only means of pulling the dog out of a burrow. The tail should be strong but not overly thick. There is no preference between docked or natural.

www.dogbreedinfo.com...

We definitely need pictures!

I actually wish the people who owned my dog never docked her tail. I'm curious as to what she'd look like with a tail. I remember as a child, we had Dobermans. When our female had pups and our dad had the ears and the tails docked, I was extremely upset. I was around 9 or 10 years old. I still wish certain breeds didn't have to have it done at all.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

Pics as soon as I learn how the Heck to eembed, pinkyswear!

Looking forward to them.

Here is a quick tutorial on pics.

Top Right click the white circle with the down arrow thingy.
ETA: If your screen isnt big enough it may have shifted to the left.

Choose UPLOAD

Click the UPLOAD icon.

Select your pics

Next to the upload icon click the UP arrow.

Your pics will appear on the page.

Click on a picture and a popup will appear.

Copy the text at the top into your post and the pic will appear in your post.

From VoidHawk in this thread
AboveTopSecret.com

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Do you know if it is done for anything other than aesthetics?

Is there a health reason for it in some breeds? If not I fail to see the reason for putting the animal through this strictly for looks.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   

My two had natural short tails and vet confirmed they had not been docked. Then he said we would need to dock them if they are long. I posted this because I was kinda sorta hoping someone would explain WHY docking is needed. I don't want to harm these precious little pups at all.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Thank you! I will post pics tomorrow. I need to upload them from my camera first. Pinkyswear!

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
a reply to: Anyafaj

Do you know if it is done for anything other than aesthetics?

Is there a health reason for it in some breeds? If not I fail to see the reason for putting the animal through this strictly for looks.

I honestly wish I knew. I know in some Jack Russell breeds it's done to give them a docked tail to hold onto to grab for ground racing, but with her being a mixed breed, I really don't know why her previous owners did it, truthfully. I think they did it for aesthetics, but I think they cut it to short because she looks like she has a small nub, not a docked tail. I'm not the only one who feels this way. Her dock tail is only about an inch and a half to about two inches. Though she LOVES a great butt scratch. If you scratch her butt on one side, she dances to that side, move to the other side, she's dances to that side. I call it the Cha-Cha. LOL I'll scratch from side to side to make her Cha-Cha, as I say.

She's only hyper when she gets together with her friends. If she's alone with you, she's a total lap beast willing to lick your hand for life. She's a napper and a snacker. Her favorite snack? Animal crackers from Petco. She's a beast for them. That and the green toothbrushes you give to dogs to chew on that smell minty. She loves those as well. She's a tiny little thing, she weighs about 12 pounds and her height is about 6 inches from the back and about 12 from the head. She's about a year and a half. She was born January 8th, 2014, so she's about as big as she's going to get.

I get a LOT of harassment from a small clique in the building about her, even though she's so sweet, so now I've gotten in touch with an animal trainer who will train her to be a therapy dog for me in return for me working for him for the fees. (I have severe PTSD and need a therapy dog.) The manager is already aware. They can't do anything about the clique, but by registering her, it will shut the clique up because then management can't get rid of her over bogus complaints.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I know dogs like jack Russell and fox terrier have their tails docked because they use to be working dogs who ran down rabbit holes and the owner could then grab their tail to pull them out, I think the same with water dogs like poodles and spaniels which catch ducks birds etc. poodles also have those ridiculous hair cuts for a reason too, as they are or were working water dogs they left the hair or fur around the heart lung area and then around the kidney area and also the top of the head all to protect these areas from the cold water. reply to: stosh64

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cloudbuster
I know dogs like jack Russell and fox terrier have their tails docked because they use to be working dogs who ran down rabbit holes and the owner could then grab their tail to pull them out, I think the same with water dogs like poodles and spaniels which catch ducks birds etc. poodles also have those ridiculous hair cuts for a reason too, as they are or were working water dogs they left the hair or fur around the heart lung area and then around the kidney area and also the top of the head all to protect these areas from the cold water. reply to: stosh64

Mine is part Jack Russell, but not full breed, so why the previous owners docked her tail as a pup, I'll never know. Maybe for looks. I do love her freckles she got from the breed though. She has them all over her paws, her belly, a bit on her neck. Everyone thinks she's adorable with those dang freckles. I told my daughter we should have named her Freckles, but she wanted to name her after a Barbie Princess in a Barbie movie, Calyssa, so we went with that. We call her Callie for short.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cloudbuster
I know dogs like jack Russell and fox terrier have their tails docked because they use to be working dogs who ran down rabbit holes and the owner could then grab their tail to pull them out,

This is the same reason the Patterdale Terrier (the OP's dog) is docked. Came across that in my reading yesterday.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Ok, here are a few pics of our pups. 2 days old. My first attempt at embedding, so be kind.

Mom and her 4 daughters

My little bit of chocolate

Another family pic

Dad & Mom napping together

Dad

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join