It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lake Mead Water Level has Dropped A Huge Amount in Last 48 Hours

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

LOL by my calculations (make no claim to how correct they are
) You would need to fill a third of a million OLYMPIC size pools to account for the amount of water that has been lost.

Thats a lot of pools.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Is Hoover dam opened and draining the lake? Is there any way to check?

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: randomspecific

If the water is flowing into a fault, it could lubricate the rock, making another quake more likely.

That would be quite impossible.

A fault could open and displace some water, but there is absolutely no risk of the water reaching a depth that would lubricate the rock or make another quake more likely.
edit on 24-5-2015 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

This is very interesting to say the least. Kudos for the heads up OP!
SnF

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I just called the Lake Mead marina and asked if they have noticed any changes to the water level in the last 48 hours, she said there has been no noticeable changes. I think 8 feet would be pretty noticeable.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Ok the following data would suggest that the data from original source is at fault.

www.usbr.gov...

The data at this site suggests the current lake levels is at 1077.47 and given the sources I am tempted to trust the data from this site more than the original source.

So this could be/most likely is a false alarm due to false data.

I will be keeping an eye on both sources just in case.
edit on 24-5-2015 by randomspecific because: adding pic

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomspecific
a reply to: Char-Lee

LOL by my calculations (make no claim to how correct they are
) You would need to fill a third of a million OLYMPIC size pools to account for the amount of water that has been lost.

Thats a lot of pools.

My intention was not to say these account for the water loss but simply that in these times of drought they are a true waste of water having owned a pool in a hot climate I realize the water use.
edit on 24-5-2015 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

originally posted by: butcherguy

If the water is flowing into a fault, it could lubricate the rock, making another quake more likely.

A fault could open and displace some water, but there is absolutely no risk of the water reaching a depth that would lubricate the rock or make another quake more likely.

The info at this link says that it has happened.
International Rivers

How Do Dams Trigger Earthquakes?

In a paper prepared for the World Commission on Dams, Dr. V. P Jauhari wrote the following about this phenomenon, known as Reservoir-Induced Seismicity (RIS): "The most widely accepted explanation of how dams cause earthquakes is related to the extra water pressure created in the micro-cracks and fissures in the ground under and near a reservoir. When the pressure of the water in the rocks increases, it acts to lubricate faults which are already under tectonic strain, but are prevented from slipping by the friction of the rock surfaces."

Then, I have a link to earthquakes specifically linked to the filling of Lake Mead....
Tucson.com
edit on b000000312015-05-24T14:54:48-05:0002America/ChicagoSun, 24 May 2015 14:54:48 -0500200000015 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

The weight from the water can have an effect on a fault the same way it could do so if it was frozen, but water is not being forced down into the crack to act as a lubricant which is what I thought you were saying.

It is the extra weight that can have an effect not the waters properties.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

The weight from the water can have an effect on a fault the same way it could do so if it was frozen, but water is not being forced down into the crack to act as a lubricant which is what I thought you were saying.

It is the extra weight that can have an effect not the waters properties.

It is the water (under pressure) that is causing the earthquakes ... by lubrication.
I thought you were saying that it is impossible for water to travel downwards through cracks in the rock.

If it is weight alone that causes the earthquakes... I should expect to see links to papers about the increase of seismic activity around NYC, which has water, faults and a whole lot of weight.
edit on bu312015-05-24T15:35:57-05:0003America/ChicagoSun, 24 May 2015 15:35:57 -05003u15 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Like the one in 1884?

The buildings in NY do add an enormous amount of weight but that weight is nothing compared to what a solid body of water would add. NY also seems to be sinking.

As far as I know water can't be forced down into fault lines however most fault lines already have trapped water existing at those depths.
edit on 24-5-2015 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Like the one in 1884?

The buildings in NY do add an enormous amount of weight but that weight is nothing compared to what a solid body of water would add. NY also seems to be sinking.

As far as I know water can't be forced down into fault lines however most fault lines already have trapped water existing at those depths.

No, the buildings are weight newtral.

If you want to build a billions ton skyscraper.

You have to remove a billions tons of footprint.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

And now I know.

That made me look up the reason they say NY is sinking.

It isn't really sinking instead sea level is rising which means it is doomed.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Add this post to it.
Vandals Destroy Dam, 49 Million Gallons Into Bay.
and you can see it looks like more is going one.

Why would the Lake drop the SAME each year?
same amount and Same Time!!!

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thorneblood
Did you factor in all the pools in Vegas being filled?

The Pools stay filled year round, they don't drain them. Evaporation of the pools and waterfalls do use a lot of water though. I was in Vegas a few months ago, and it amazes me how much water is used, and wasted as well out there. ~$heopleNation

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: buddha

When I saw the Title of this thread I too thought of the thread you posted.

Terrorism?

But the fact that someone called and they said no visable drop.

Either someone is lying or the data is off. I would think this would be a big thing. And the MSM would be all over this.

Unless.....

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I live here in vegas and I heard they are installing a new water inlet that's a lot lower because the lake doesn't fill as high as it used to. So that could be why they dropped the level down.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: w8tn4it
Don't worry, the water didn't go too far. It'll be sold to you as bottled water or beverages of some sort. Most of it will end up bottled in underground bunkers, or will be handed out during the upcoming emergency disasters. Profit off disasters... the American way! Sorry,... just a rant.

Not a rant but a proven truth (e.g. Lake Michigan-Superior-Huron-Eerie). Our lakes and aquifers are being stolen by big business and sold to the world, and that is pure fact that noone can deny.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   

It's hotter, there is less rainfall in the surrounding elevations, there is more water consumption with the heat: bathing, watering crops, gardens, lawns...

Where do you see an unusual drop in elevation? It's alarming yes, but this is an expected drop for the time of year my friend. The sad truth finally sets in when the population begins to "need" the water. It's been low for quite some time, but certain things "felt avoidable," now they seem like a necessity and the impact is truly understood. By this time next year imagine how low the reservoir will be if things do not improve in the region. The reservoir is years from recovery even if the winter is seasonably wet.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
As suspected it appears data was at fault. Here is the data from today:

As you can see levels are back to normal. Never mind folks, I am sure we will find some other doom to discuss soon. lol.

Thanks for input on thread.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join