It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How science literate are you?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I got number five wrong. No matter how much I wanted to say the universe started with a big bang so I could get it right, I could not do it. I checked false. A theory isn't real until they can prove it is real, otherwise it is just a myth. They shove that down our throats on everything else yet tell us the big bang theory, something that there is no possible way we can ever prove or disapprove as real from this point in space and time, is real. It's a joke.

It has been proved the early universe experienced a very fast expansion. Another term for a very fast expansion is explosion.

The quiz never mentioned anything about what happened before.

The quiz is correct and if you can't see it then you are indeed not very scientifically versed.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
Of course, this is ATS so I'll add that not all religious people are uneducated. Those who opt for Creationism aren't naturally inclined towards science literacy although I can't imagine why they'd be on a site that hosts science questionnaires.

LOL ... did my score count for Korea?

When I was a kid my mom dragged me and my brother to Church every Sunday. They never tried teaching us anything that went against scientific dogma. Have times changed? I keep hearing the Church being ridiculed for some smack talk about the Earth being only 6,000 years old. I certainly never heard any such nonsense like that in Church.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Yes I know.

The thing is, it'd take us all half an hour to write a post that's impossible for someone else to misinterpret, misrepresent or pick holes in.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
I keep hearing the Church being ridiculed for some smack talk about the Earth being only 6,000 years old. I certainly never heard any such nonsense like that in Church.

This is Christian fundamentalism and biblical literalism.

A modern and specific approach to christian faith that started in the US around the 19th century and that is still to this day only popular in the US.

It probably represents no more than 5% of Christians worldwide.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

How come some are dependent on mind-set and not others?

"Speed of light? No problems!"

"Humans evolved from earlier, primitive species? No freakin way!"

edit on 24/5/15 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   

My mother is religious and she's a very smart woman. Like yours, she was smart enough to drag us to church too and to let us kids make up our own minds. We quit the habit as soon as we were allowed.

Ironically, I visit a particular chapel almost every month so my church attendance is likely higher than most who profess a faith lol.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
My mother is religious and she's a very smart woman.

Some people just can't wrap their head around that; They are mainly exposed to Christian fundamentalists so they don't understand Christian faith is more of a spiritual philosophy and that it doesn't say anything about scientific facts.

My great uncle was a nuclear physicist first but also a priest. If there was anything in the Christian faith REQUIRING him to deny scientific facts he would have left the Church in no time.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

How come some are dependent on mind-set and not others?

"Speed of light? No problems!"

"Humans evolved from earlier, primitive species? No freakin way!"

4. Antibiotics could indirectly affect a viral infection of the body. Like I said, "That's a stretch."
5. The universe began with a huge explosion. There are so many theories of the origins of the universe ...
6. The continents on which we live have been moving their location for millions of years and will continue to move in the future. Are we talking about Continental Drift or are we talking about Plate Tectonics?
7. Human beings, as we know them today, developed from earlier species of animals. Classic question on Evolution. If you wanna believe in Evolution ... be my guest. Don't back me into a corner where I ask you for scientific proof and then call you an idiot for presenting me with empirical evidence.
8. The earliest humans lived at the same time as the dinosaurs. Did all dinosaurs stop living 65 million years ago? Pretty doubtful evidence of human existence might even last 65 million years. Isn't science still looking for that missing link? Until the find it ...

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: JUhrman

I don't get where all these mythical fundies are.

In all my years, I've never met one. Certainly not the of the Young Earth sort.

Oh, maybe one old lady at an Oklahoma truck stop. I don't know for sure if she was. All I know is that she had the most beautific smile on her face and floated through the place telling everyone she met that Jesus loved them.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Oh, it's easy. Just give them the answers they want.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Bible belt.

Just find a map of "belief in creationism" and you have your answer.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   

But you're cool with the speed of light?

Even though, for the average Joe, is impossible to prove?

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I answered them all correctly and I'm thick as pig sh*t

I'm shocked at the percentages that got the answers wrong

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: JUhrman

Bible belt.

Just find a map of "belief in creationism" and you have your answer.

I live here. Still not sure where they're at.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Either all these people are lying during the poll about beliefs in creationism and evolution, either you didn't look hard enough, because the figures are pretty high.

Of course they don't call themselves fundamentalists. Usually they are more baptists/evangelicals.

What matters still is that they read the bible literally.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

But you're cool with the speed of light?

Even though, for the average Joe, is impossible to prove?

Dude ... what are you on about? Yes ... I am good with the speed of light ... even though I myself have not personally measured it.

It has been measured. It has been measured repeatedly. This is the process of 'real science' -vs- Consensus Science (which boils down to the same 'beliefs' people have about Creationism) ... belief.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

According to my experience (much the same as yours), it's a being that exists almost solely on the internet. The place where vocal extremists are used to generalize entire groups.

I've always disliked tests like this, as they have little to do with actually performing science and more to do with repeating what others have said. A lot like saying literal literacy can be measured if an individual can answer some questions about a popular book.

All that said.. Those percentages...

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: JUhrman

Either all these people are lying during the poll about beliefs in creationism and evolution, either you didn't look hard enough, because the figures are pretty high.

Of course they don't call themselves fundamentalists. Usually they are more baptists/evangelicals.

What matters still is that they read the bible literally.

Or and what is far more likely ... what a person believes when it comes to those matters is disconnected from whether or not they can live productive lives and be members of society.

You know the really scary thing? You might know and work with some ...

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Question time: do you accept the overwhelming body of evidence that shows evolution being the mechanism for biodiversity? If not, what exactly is your belief in this regard?

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

Question time: do you accept the overwhelming body of evidence that shows evolution being the mechanism for biodiversity? If not, what exactly is your belief in this regard?

I believe that the environment is the driving force behind biodiversity. Change it enough ... you'll witness evolution. What I believe and what science can prove are two different things, rendering the argument for Evolution moot as a scientific law.

We are at a point, however, where man is capable enough to 'cause' evolution to occur. You can see this in genetically modified crops.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join