It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SUNY Canton criminal justice student tased by U.S. Border Patrol

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

So does her being an asshome some how justify what the guy did in response?

Which again was going hands on first, which I am sure she resisted is some way as any normal person would, which lead to her getting tazed and catching a charge or assault?
Which would be on a federal agent so most likely a felony.

She didn't agree with what was going on and was trying to get it explained and they didn't want to.

Sad that we have laws in effect that we all these agents do not need a reason to just search and detain you.
edit on thSat, 09 May 2015 00:21:18 -0500America/Chicago520151880 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Actually police do not have the authority to extend a normal traffic stop to wait for a drug sniffing dog.

Just last month, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the police may not prolong traffic stops to wait for drug-sniffing dogs to inspect vehicles. It's unclear whether that applies to Border Patrol agents.

The question will be whether the ruling also applies to Border Patrol Agents. As for detention no law enforcement authority has the ability to detain you for any reason other than a reasonable amount of time (what ever that is) to complete an investigation. The moment you ask are you free to leave or under arrest and they respond no you cannot leave and no you are not under arrest then if you do not leave it becomes voluntary detention.

It will come down to the reasonable amount of time equation and ultimately the Border Agents will win in the lower courts. This "law student" who was applying to the Border Patrol (good luck now) seemed to instigate or at least escalate the situation. I'm not saying she was in the wrong as everyone has a share of the blame as far as I am concerned. If this was to be a search point for drugs they should have had a dog on scene otherwise allowed her to continue on her way. I believe she will lose in court but maybe it will all be dropped but doubt it.
edit on 5/9/2015 by DJMSN because: correction

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Sad that we have laws in effect that we all these agents to not need a reason to just search and detain with no other reason then we want to.

Personally, I'm so sick of this.

People like you don't think beyond themselves what it would be like without these laws.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Insert those that give up freedom for safety quote.
We have rights, bring detained just for the hell of it with no charge or suspicion of a crime is not part of that. If standing up for that is being stupid and unnecessary then by all means be stupid and unnecessary.

And is that all you wanted to address from my post?

Should she have been treated the way she was for not standing where they told her to stand?

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I've been through several Border Patrol checkpoints over the years and have never had call or occasion to behave like an entitled and spoiled princess like this young lady felt compelled to bring into this situation.

What a spoiled brat!
She deserved every volt she received.

I'm left wondering where these throngs of self-important people suddenly sprang from....they all act the same - same m.o. of being rude and aggressive then complaining about what they bring upon themselves - almost as if they haven't been American citizens very long at all.

It's almost as if a mothership just dumped them off on our little planet to get rid of them. If they all have histories of behaving like this young woman, can't say I blame the aliens one bit for lightening their load off-world. The question remains, what are we supposed to do with them?

edit on 5/9/15 by GENERAL EYES because: formatting

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 02:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
I've been through several Border Patrol checkpoints over the years and have never had call or occasion to behave like an entitled and spoiled princess like this young lady felt compelled to bring into this situation.

For sure.

Us people along the border (in AZ) just laugh when Phoenix (Pace picante sauce) try to make themselves important.

I get ready for the next 5 hour drive.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join