It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Small Asteroid Passes Between Satellites and Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
A fairly small asteroid made a near miss flyby on December 19th. The rock, if it had impacted earth, would not have cause major damage. Astronomers believe that even if it had entered the atmosphere, it would have exploded and burned up before impact. The scariest part of this story is that this asteroid was undetected until after it had based because of the trajectory it had approached from. It came at the earth from the direction of the sun.

www.space.com
Astronomers spotted an asteroid this week after it had flown past Earth on a course that took it so close to the planet it was below the orbits of some satellites.

The space rock was relatively small, however, and would not have posed any danger had it plunged into the atmosphere.

The object, named 2004 YD5, was about 16 feet (5 meters) wide, though that's a rough estimate based on its distance and assumed reflectivity. Had it entered the atmosphere, it would have exploded high up, experts figure.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This story has shades of "Aussie Bloke" for me. This asteroid came towards earth from our blind spot, the sun, and passed the earth in the southern skies.

How many more asteroid are out there, hurtling towards earth from the sun, and will we have any chance of detecting them?

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature
How many more asteroid are out there, hurtling towards earth from the sun, and will we have any chance of detecting them?

I'm pretty sure that won't go unnoticed, and the observation programs will add focus to these apprach trajectories.

Interesting post!

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I'm afraid though that the current technology isn't yet capable of accurately covering that area of the sky. I would agree that this is an area that they certainly are wanting to improve upon, but will they be able to do it fast enough?

Along the same lines as the Aussie Bloke hoax though... would they tell us if there was an earth killer approaching from the sun, and only the governments had the ability to see it?

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Been a busy month, Geminides peaking on 13th of december, Meteor impacts near Jakarta and North China, maybe the missile shield is working after all

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 08:27 AM
link   
the news has been full of close calls of small rocks hitting the earth lately.i hope nasa is having a good look at the sky lately and paying some attention to the fact that small rocks are getting threw our atmosphere and hitting stuff....flukemol

[edit on 24-12-2004 by flukemol]

[edit on 24-12-2004 by flukemol]

top topics

join