It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US Legal System - Does It Have ANY Value?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: BennyHavensOh

If I could snap my fingers and implement any one fix to our justice system I would eliminate the plea bargain. If I could implement another I would make being a court appointed attorney a requirement of being licensed in the state, it would no longer be the domain of junior lawyers. Furthermore I would make said court appointed attorney only get paid if the defendant wins their case (and maybe something like a 35% minimum win rate to remain licensed).

Have you ever looked into the issues with elected judges? Here in Ohio we had a case break recently where a judge made news because it was found he sided with whatever lawyer gave the most money to his election fund nearly 100% of the time. You're correct that money runs the system but often times it's not the lawyer fees that win, it's whatever lawyer pays the judge the most.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Our judges in NJ are appointed and I even had the duty of appointing one myself when I was Mayor. I went to the Station Commander of the local NJSP barracks that serves our Township and while he officially could not tell me which choice was the best candidate, I was able to glean it out of him, present it to the Committee and we voted the best man in. None of we three Committeemen would even consider a payoff because we were what they call STUPID, but in the urban judge appointment that is exactly what they do and do not even hide the fact. Like I said before money talks and BS walks. And a shame at that since the worthless green crap has NO intrinsic value in the first place.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I do find it interesting just how consistant the influence of corruption is through out society. While different cultures have different ways in which the corruption is expressed, money do help difficult decisions become easy.

The issues of conflicts of interest are very challanging for the individual and society. As long as our self determination exists I do not see these challanges ending as we all have our own choices and decisions to make.
edit on 8-5-2015 by kwakakev because: grammer

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: kwakakev

Indeed. God gives us free will yet we still know not how to use it well do we?

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Well at the moment we are still here and human culture is still growing, more or less. Some of the ways neural networks and DNA work is by trying lots of different stuff, it makes heaps of mistakes in order to find the links and adaptations that make things work.

As our science branches out it just finds more complexity. In a world of limitless possibilities there are some highly tuned search processes under way with how life is structured and grows. When looking back over our known and hazy history, despite all the good and bad I would say there is a clear trend for improvement. Yeah things are tough and bad, but when comparing to our ancestors they are not quite as tough or quite as bad.

On a more personal note, it is our decisions and actions that define us and create the legacy we leave on this world. I do not know the full story of life and death, but if there is some part of eternity within us then it is our free will that guides this journey.

As for how well we use our free will, it is like any other part of us that we exercise and strengthen or neglect and weaken.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Well spoken, thank you. I am not so sure that we having it much "better" than our ancestors, though we have it much easier most certainly. I know in my 61 years I have watched the US work environment become a lot more difficult and paying a LOT less because the good job market has certainly not kept up with the population increase and things like offshoring of manufacturing and jobs of all kinds have created the largest asset gap between the haves and the have nots in our history. Open import of dirt cheap workers has eroded all of our abilities to keep our wages in sync with the costs of living and unless I am sorely mistaken, there is NO Golden Age of Prosperity around the bend anywhere ahead. Our legal system has done a lot of damage in facilitating all of that.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Not much better than our ancestors? How much time and evolution do you think has gone into making you and your capabilities? Maybe a few generations ago had it better than you, but looking at your avatar you are still standing strong. Some archaeological sources put the source of our evolution from many millions to billions of years ago. Some exopolitical sources suggest sources of life dating back much further as Earth is relativity new compared to the known universe.

But I get it with stuff being such a complicated mess these days. The trust is just shattered, the people do not trust the government, the government does not trust the people. At least we are not leaving people crucified on the side of the road these days. We may still blow them up or pollute their land, but you have to call it progress.
edit on 14-5-2015 by kwakakev because: removed same word twice in last sentence

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Oh course you are correct, there has been much progress, yet there is always a price to pay for it. My parents were born in 1929 and though they lived through a Depression and a World War as children and young people, they might have just lived through America's finest days. I had it very well myself as in my young days the jobs were plentiful, paid well and hard work would pay big dividends. I may be wrong but it appears that we are definitely in decline and I know that old folk always say that, but I do not see a great payback for the advances that technology brings because they are so many downsides that come along with it.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

It was my grandparents that had to go through the great depression. one of them had a diet of bread and drippings (animal fat). Despite the social disorder at the time, I do feel a sense of security in how the community made the most of what little there was when things where tough.

Technology is becoming as complicated as this world we live in. To support a city of millions it is critical. Trucks, food, gas, electricity all running non stop. The technology is holding it all together, providing the organisation for all the stuff that makes up our lives. Keeping the lights on, food on the table and gas in the tank, for a growing majority of the worlds population.

Then as we learn more about our bodies and materials, a person with an artificial leg can run faster than someone with a real one. We are learning to see into different forces and energies. As we stand on the shoulders of giants with what capability and potential exists today, it is natural to be fearful.

At the end of the day, the progress of technology is out of your hands. How you decide to incorporate technology into your life is in your control. Sure technology has a dark side full of pain and mistakes that could possibly kill us all, but for now it is helping us to keep going while we are still here.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Yes there is much good from the technology no argument here and certainly everything runs on it these days. We had the good fortune of losing all electricity for a week long period once after Sandy hit and once the year before after the October snowstorm. We rural folk are fairly well prepared to handle such events and they happen often though not usually for so long a time period. I'll tell you what though, during both of those weeks what is really important in life really comes out and I have to admit it was very nice to have a break from the techno-baubles. During those periods I had interesting discussions with the linemen about the 100-150 year old "grid" consisting of old wire supported by old insulators mounted on old sticks in the ground. There are many scenarios that are possible and some that WILL occur to compromise , damage or even disable this system that is both SO critical and SO dilapidated, outdated and compromised. If it fails, technology fails, but life must go on. That is key you know, for life not only will always go on, but it can go on in a grand fashion if you learn to see the value where it truly is my friend. Good fortune to you in your time.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join