It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After a year-long "Don't Vote!" campaign, Russell Brand backs Ed Miliband

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
It may not be politically astute but I do feel a man should be judged by his actions and to that end I can't bring myself to vote for a guy who happily screwed over his own brother to further his career; if he can do that to his family it's insane to believe he'll stick to anything he promises the electorate.

I really don't like or have any faith in any of them but he's a total scumbag.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I'm from the UK too, and naturally lean to the left politically. Saying that I haven't voted Labour since Tony Blair became leader, I got the impression that although he did get Labour elected, he was, as we say where I live, 'all fur coat and no knickers' and he would sell his Granny to get ahead, just never trusted the bloke.
I live in a poor area of Northern England, and it absolutely amazes me that any ordinary working man can vote Conservative. The cuts we've seen over the last 5 years have been ideological for the most part, and sometimes downright wicked.
One thing Ed Miliband said changed my mind about him, when asked about why he stood against his brother to become leader of the party, he said he thought they should move away from New Labour, which means moving away from Blair.
I think a similar thing happened to Russell Brand. Meeting him changed his mind. I watch his videos quite regularly and its a good thing to have a intelligent and articulate person speak up for people less able to do so.
Just to finish, all you ordinary folk who are maybe doing quite well and because of that are voting Tory. Just sit for a minute and think, if you lost your job, or became ill and couldn't work, would you want Ian Duncan Smith in charge of your benefits?

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   
a reply to: airliebird58

I'm just an ordinary person, living hand to mouth in an area slowly going down hill, but I work throughout London and the South East and it amazes me just how every single Labour stronghold is a slum, where Labour in charge do nothing at all to help this. May be you don't remember or were too young to, but when Labour were last in power they wrecked the place, taxation was unreal, my job was unworkable due to the bureaucracy that they put in place, they did nothing for the working British people. It's ok Ed saying he wants to move from New Labour, but where are they going? Far left? Where we are all poor and all areas are slums? How is he going to finance the rhetoric, hammer the rich and banks...yeah...who then either leave the country or pass everything on to the customer. Also, think about it, Labour will never win a majority, so they have to be propped up by SNP....That alone should strike fear in to hearts of every person in England.

As for Brand, all he saw was money and career progression, he is and always was a Labour shill. Anyone who still now believes that he is standing for the honourable average folk, need to really wake up and see how this country really works and people like Brand work.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 02:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScreenBogey

originally posted by: stumason

The Tories had no choice but yto implement austerity and despite what some of you are whining about, they are not "destroying" the country, quite the opposite. The economic recovery is second to none and all the big institutions have said the British plan is working.

Oh, really? So have the Tories been trying to outlaw tax avoidance and tax-havens? How about increasing taxes on the rich and taxing non-domicile Russian oligarchs? I guess they had no choice about it, right?

At least Labour are trying to do something about it. www.bbc.com...

Vote Labour. They might be ****s, but they aren't as bad as the Tories.

Vote Labour and watch this country be finished off once and for all, because you will be voting for a Labour SNP coalition that hold England in particular but Britain in general to ransom.

As for hammering the rich, Labour, the party with just as many millionaires as Tories, know full well that such rhetoric means little, because if they start hammering big business and banks, both will either leave or more than likely, pass all loss on to the customer. So we will end up footing the bill and once again as with under every Labour reign, taxation will be off the scale.

I know it sucks, but you have to pick the lesser of two evils. In my lifetime, Labour have continually proven that they can't run a bath, let alone a country. They have proven this throughout history. We are on a knife edge economically, had we been in the Euro, we would actually be in a worse position than Greece at this time. The last thing we need right now is a Labour/SNP nightmare where nothing gets done and the printing press is in overdrive with the cash heading across the northern border at a record rate.

Conservatives are not my preferred option, but they truly are the lesser of two evils.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: SensiblyReckless
a reply to: stumason

Utter, utter BS.

Care to point out which particular bit is, or is this more hyperbole?

I like how you conveniently forget about them giving massive tax cuts to corporations.

Cutting taxes and red tape to business has helped the economy get back on it's feet and more people are back in work as a result. Looking at the headline of "Corporation tax cut" and assuming it means bad things is moronic.

Also, a tax cut can actually generate more revenue. Since 2010, the Corp Tax has been cut from around 28% to 21 %, but revenue has increased from £42 Billion to £55 Billion, with more jobs being created which has added extra revenue via income tax and NI contributions.

Of course, if you can refute any of this instead of just stamping your feet and shouting "utter BS", feel free. If not, jog on

Also conveniently forgetting that the banksters caused the crisis, and the Tory scum made the poor pay for it.

It wasn't just the bankers and you know it. The legislation was created de-regulating the banking industry and it was a key pillar of the Blair Government to get more people owning their homes even if they couldn't afford them. Add onto that a deliberate policy of pushing the housing market upwards to "create wealth" by restricting house building and the bubble was set to burst.

It's clear you have a massively simplistic view and understanding of the world - things are not as black and white as you think they are and you really should do some research before mouthing off.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I dont trust either of them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join